• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 302 for fitech with vacuum advance for fitech 600hp

stielow

I am looking for an affordable distributor for a ford 302 with vacuum advance that will work with the fitech 600hp setup. I dont want to use the ford duraspark as my factory wiring is rough. let me know what you would recommend its for a 77 bronco. I was going to do a msd and let the computer controlled but the more i read i would just rather do something that self tunes.

Thanks for any help

Broncobowsher

Total hack
...i would just rather do something that self tunes.

Thanks for any help

That is a confusing statement. The 600 version of the EFI has the ignition timing as part of its control. You are not going to find a stand alone self learning distributor. Are you wanting to find a distributor to use the computer control, or are you just after a distributor that runs separate from the EFI?

PaveBronco

Is there an advantage to keeping the dizzy off line with the Fi?
I wouldn't think it would work right without being able to control timing.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
If I go with the fi tech I'm going to let the dizzy control the timing. I did a little reading about it and most who did let the computer control the timing didn't notice any difference. For me it's just one more potential electronic failure point . It would also make it harder to temporarily switch back to the carb in case of some issue with the computer or something in the system.
I'm running MSd "ready to Run " distributors on both broncos {no 6a Box} and have had no issues . They aren't cheap though .
You might consider redoing the wiring for your Duraspark setup as long as you have a good working distributor and module. It's not difficult to do and it is a good system .

dougsride

I use a mallory hei dist. and set timing advance with a advance type timing light and change advance springs to get total advance in the rpm range I was looking for. works great.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am looking for an affordable distributor for a ford 302 with vacuum advance that will work with the fitech 600hp setup.

A distributor vacuum advance separate from the fitech.

Hey Matt. The choice is completely up to you under these circumstances. Two independent systems. There is nothing that needs to be compatible, as the FiTech does not care what distributor you use, unless you're using the computer to control the timing. Since you're not planning to, your distributor does not need to be specifically FiTech compatible.
So anything that's got a gear that is compatible with your camshaft and fits your budget will work.

Since you paid extra for the 600 however, and the main difference in that price is that the 600 can control timing, where the 400 cannot, you could choose a 2-wire distributor that would be compatible with computer timing later down the road.
Otherwise, if that's not in your future, just get any distributor you want.

I think the only thing you have to be concerned with, regarding EFI and ignition components, are the separate modules, such as the MSD6 (pre-digital type) that creates more RF interference than the computer likes to live with.
Someone had that issue recently, but I don't remember the details. Pretty sure it was not from the distributor itself though.
But even there, you could probably mount it farther away from the EFI computer and shield it some to block the noise.

You should be good to go.

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The big win with EFI is precise control of fuel and spark. If you take away the spark I'm not sure it would even be worth spend. Just jump into the new fangled technology that has been around for almost 50 years now.

Your ease of starting, improved torque and throttle response are coming from better spark control unless your carb was really garbage. Leaving that on the table you will miss the best parts.

Just my opinion...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Computers were running timing curves before they were controlling the fuel.
I would let the computer control the spark.

joeracer69

timming

I am running the Fitech 600.
Started with a stock type distributor and it works.
I then added a MSD and now have Fitech running the timing.
It makes a noticeable improvement in drivability.
You can and should tune the timing on ether system for the best performance.
With the computer it is so easy to change the base and curve of the timing VS getting the wrenches out on the old school distributor.

It is my two cents that anyone who says it did not make much difference did not put in time programing it to it's full potential.
Old dizzy tuned with springs and weights = a little spin of the tires on launch (WOT) drivability good.
Computer tuned = smokes the tires. wide open throttle (WOT) and better all around drivability. Much more like a newer car.
Perfect fuel and timing.

OP
OP
S

stielow

Thanks for all your help and input, sounds like computer controlled is the way to go. What would you recommend as a economical and reliable computer controlled distributor to run? Its for a 1977 bronco with a 302. Appreciate everyone guidance.

Matt

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are a few threads listing some known workable distributors, so we have those to check out.
I'm trying to determine if some of the ones we sell (MSD Pro-Billet and MSD Ready-to-Run types) are compatible so that we can at least list them on our site as such, and link the FiTech systems to them as well.

If the one you originally linked to has a 2-wire pickup (not including any ground wires) then it might actually work with the timing control. Helps a lot if the distributor you choose has a built-in way to lock out the advance mechanisms, but in lieu of it being that way from the factory, just about any distributor can be locked out if you are clever.

FiTech says it needs to be a 2-wire though, such as some MSD units with the purple and orange wire configuration, or Ford Dura Spark (although they say the Ford setup is not compatible for some reason) or similar.
I'm still not sure why the Ford would not be compatible, because as far as I can tell, the MSD units that have two wires are actually using a Ford Dura Spark pickup under the cap!
I do think someone here has a working FiTech/Dura Spark setup, but don't remember who.

Anyway, you can check the details of the one linked to previously to see if it's got the proper connections.
A typical "HEI" setup with the big GM style cap is not compatible because it has only one wire outside of the distributor. There is probably some way to fiddle with the innards to get it to work, but might be more work than it's worth, just to be able to deal with that big honkin' cap anyway.

Seems like, off the top of my head, an MSD Ready-to-Run setup might be the ticket. FiTech has recommendations, so probably on their site or on their user forum (facebook?) pages.

Good luck.

Paul

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
After going through this I found the Jeg's brand two wire was a nice unit and it is only 205 bucks and made in the US. It also can use the MSD phasable rotor. The MSD two wire is around 400 bucks. You do not want the ready to run distributor, you need the 2 wire with magnetic pickup. Ken

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info Ken. Yours was probably one of the ones I was thinking about from recent discussions.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easiest / Cleanest set-up for the FiTech to control the timing on a 302 is a MSD 8582 with mechanical advance and Magnetic pick-up. This one has the correct gear for your Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam. I have this set-up on my 69 Half Cab.

Lock-out the distributor's advance and sync with Fitech per directions. Phasable rotor is recommended.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Easiest / Cleanest set-up for the FiTech to control the timing on a 302 is a MSD 8582 with mechanical advance and Magnetic pick-up. This one has the correct gear for your Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam. I have this set-up on my 69 Half Cab.

Lock-out the distributor's advance and sync with Fitech per directions. Phasable rotor is recommended.

That is the same as the Jeg's brand. When you search Jeg's for the MSD, the Jeg's branded distributor pops up. It will save you at least 150 bucks. Ken

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm running a Summit branded distributor, which is strikingly similar to my MSD units I've used in the past. I'm still on the MSD box with that distributor NOT using the built in timing control, but I'll switch over to that after my next big trip.

OP
OP
S

stielow

Got it running, and it starts and runs perfect, thanks so much for all the input. Also have a msd distributor on it way.