• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Much Does a Bronco Weigh

NoCJ4CJ

I'm buying a new trailer...
Anybody know the average gross vehicle weight for an early bronco with a hard top and doors? How about without the top and doors?

BroncoDave

Loc.
Washington
I weigh in right near 5000 lbs with winch, heavy duty bumper, full cage, 35" tires, tools, etc. Thats with a soft top and hard doors.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I rolled across the scales a few years ago at 3980. that was with a NP435. Many changes later and it should be around 4500. Tools, bumpers and armor add up faster then you think.

Keep in mind that trailer capicity does not include the weight of the trailer. A 7000 capicity steel deck car hauler I borrow weighs in around 2000 lbs. That leaves 5000 for payload or the Bronco until it is overloaded.

Amac70

ME
Last time i wieghed mine it was right at 3900. No top no doors no tailgate. Full cage fairly heavy bumpers 35's, fullwidth axles, 5speed.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i'm prolly sitting about 4300 right now. soft top, 31-12.50's protofab rock solid rear bumper, hanson front with a winch, and a 302.

shifter

Loc.
Agua Dulce, CA
If you are buying new look at a 10K with brakes on both axles, the cost will not be that much more than a 7K. I have had both and you will get much more trailer for the money with a 10000 LB. 7000 lb have wimpy axles, bearings, and hubs. Swing by the tire store on the way home and replace the chinese tires with some good stuff and you will be set. If you dont replace the stock tires make sure they are balanced, they will last alot longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NoCJ4CJ

thanks for info...very helpful. I'm going to look at a few trailers today so i will take the advice into consideration.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Get a 10k.
My bronco is around 5k, and I only have a 7k trailer.
I wish I had a 10k, so I could get better tires, better brakes, better wheel bearings.

zbronc

The last time i weighed mine it was 3460 lbs. I just shed off another 100 lbs this winter. Before race season starts i'll weigh it again.

Thats good advice on the trailer tires...they are what your entire investment is rolling on.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I'm buying a new trailer...
Anybody know the average gross vehicle weight for an early bronco with a hard top and doors? How about without the top and doors?

77, auto, doors and hard top, dyovk bumpers and roll bar 4795. at least that's what the wiegh slip in the glove box said.
Tom