• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Update, as of 6/29/12. We have negotiated a tremendous discount with UPS for our Tube related products and shipping for all Steering kits is now only $17!

This is kind of an offshoot from our DOM sales & its about time! We have taken way too long to bring these to market. The prices some companies charge are out of this world for these simple items so we are going to serve them notice right here!

Steering components from Ruffstuff Specialties using our own Heat & Cryo Treated Chromoly Heims or GM 1 Ton Tie Rod Ends.

I priced these out using a fair pricing model we have developed (we do have to make money or we won't be around long) but after I was done I compared our prices to several other companies and was sure I had made a misstake! Our pices couldn't be that much lower than theirs could it? I did my pricing again & again, always with the same result. Okay, our pricing is simply more fair I guess ;)

Y Link steering
ylink.jpg

We have also uncovered some interesting Tie Rod Ends for those of you having problems with Diff Cover clearance, pretty damned cool with the same strength specs of a standard GM 1 Ton TRE...

Offset TRE Kit
Offset%20tie%20rod.jpg

They are available alone or as a kit
offset%20tres.jpg

All of our kits using Heims also use our unique Safety Misalignment & Hex Bungs
saftey%20mis%20w%20tube%20n%20bung.jpg

All of our kits give you choices that can save you money, be stronger, and be more versatile. Look closely through the selections and make your decisions carefully. Keep in mind DOT regulations about Heims in steering. Heims are not legal in any state for highway use when used in steering. They may perform better but are not DOT approved, use your judgement...

These hae been on our site for about a month and it really seems you like them with 6-8 sets shipping daily :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
If these were all classed as one product they would be our single best selling poduct! Thank you all or your trust and orders :)

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
The Discount code does more than give you 10% off, it tells me where we need to concentrate product development ;)

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind DOT regulations about Heims in steering. Heims are not legal in any state for highway use when used in steering. They may perform better but are not DOT approved, use your judgement...

........ really??.......the following info is from another thread on this topic & I'm still waiting for someone to show me the exact regulation on what you claim above....EDIT>>here's the original thread>http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159145&highlight=FMVSS & true to internet form I notice some links below are now dead ends>>>>>>>>>>>Originally Posted by 76 bronco J
>>>> the main issue I see for long term use(<under fairly normal conditions) with the Spherical Rod Ends(nicknamed "heim joints" because of inventor Lewis Heims, former owner of the Heim Bearing Company) vs. the OEM style tapered ball Tie Rod Ends is that the SRE/heim type of joint has no seals & the ones supposedly strong enough(<in that size) for steering linkages that everybodys using are non-greasable.... I have seen some seals & boots available for the SRE's,but nobody seems to use them>http://www.sealsit.com/rodend.asp....http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp ...... for those claiming SRE's aren't DOT legal , where is it exactly did Ya'll see this specific regulation on the type of ball & socket joints that are acceptable or are ya'll just regurgitating hear say from others..... following link is all I could find on DOT steering system regulations>>http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aulic+steering .... it's just saying that universal joints & ball-and-socket joints shall not be worn, faulty or repaired by welding .... if anyone has found the DOT regulation/law against a specific type of ball& socket joint please post it........ as far as safety , a "heim" type joint with a retaining washer may actually be safer 'cause when a OEM type TRE comes apart there is nothing holding it in place when the ball comes out of the socket.......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm still waiting for somebody to post the specific DOT regulation/(FMVSS)Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard regarding what specific type of steering system linkage components are legal or not legal ......... I don't own or sell a SRE/"heim" steering system & probably never will so I have nothing to gain except getting people to quit making statements about the illegality of something without definitive proof .......................... here's a link to the FMVSS standards which makes no mention of a specific type of steering linkage requirement http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/ .....................the following DOT/government site has some Frequently Asked Questions http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...l#Anchor-19914 .. the very first question is "Is there a need for DOT Approval?"...... the answer is NO... they don't approve vehicles or equipment parts , all they do set FMVSS standards to adhere by....it's the manufactures reponsibilty to make sure they meet all FMVSS that are current on the date of manufacture................. next link is to a steering system seller,they make a good point about trying to find steering system parts with a DOT approval/certification on them & seem to be correct according to the DOT's website http://bulletproofsteering.com/statelaws.html >> ........................next link is to a discussion over the legality or illegality of full hydro steering http://www.roninwheelers.com/vbullet...ead.php?t=1518 ........ first post in that thread says what I found in my previous post> This is word for word the federal dot rules regarding the steering system
................(d) Steering system. Universal joints and ball-and-socket joints shall not be worn, faulty or repaired by welding. The steering gear box shall not have loose or missing mounting bolts or cracks in the gear box or mounting brackets. The pitman arm on the steering gear output shaft shall not be loose. Steering wheels shall turn freely through the limit of travel in both directions.
................(e) Power steering systems. All components of the power system must be in operating condition. No parts shall be loose or broken. Belts shall not be frayed, cracked or slipping. The system shall not leak. The power steering system shall have sufficient fluid in the reservoir.
.....................here's some good qoutes from that thread >>"Guys, I spent hours on the phone with the U.S. D.O.T. in Washington D.C. and finally ended up talking to someone in Accident Avoidance Division. He informed me that to date and I quote,"No safety standards have been issued regarding steering systems."
"The gentleman at DOT also informed me that the DOT does in NO WAY approve any product! They merely issue safety standards and any manufacturer producing items that fall under these standards must comply with said standard. If you read that something is "DOT Approved" it is usually the manufacturers inference that his product meets the DOT standards and NOT DOT's "Approval" ........"As for the pissing match that started this... the guy chanting "it's illegal" can go stand in the corner and chant till he turns blue. If he comes up with a copy of the law, or even a reference to the law, I might pay attention to him. But since I've looked for the same, I'm pretty comfy in reminding him that he should research his mantra before chanting it in public and making himself look foolish. The guy standing over there chanting "beadlocks are illegal" will keep him nice company" .............................................................................................................................................. >>>>>>>>>>>that's all my research for NOW, once again let me say my only intentions are to find a correct proof positive answer on the subject instead of all this hear say & I don't use or sell a SRE/"heim" joint steering system.... also since that full-hydro steering thread brought it up, please post the DOT/FMVSS regulation on beadlocks after you post the regulation/law regarding the specific type of steering system linkage components that are allowable....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
It may not be illegal in the absolute strictest terms but that will not deter law enforcement...

I am not the guy to take 4 hours and research the answer, I am not a lawyer. I drive illegal beadlocks on the road and illegal steering but if I get stopped I know I will get a ticket here in northern California...

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
I don't care to debate this but if your local law enforcement believes they are illegal that is all that matters when it comes down to it and I do not have the time to fight it in court and my lawyer is too expensive to use for a fixit ticket...In Northern California they are assumed illegal by law enforcement.