Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/17/07, 12:21 PM   #1
Dr. Bronc

CANADA
Stock Bronco Rim Size?

I am curious to know what size the stock early bronco rim is? And how big of a tire can be put on the stock rim? Is it possible that the stock rim is 7inchs wide? Would it be possible to put 31" tires x 10.5 on this rim or bigger??
I'm not planning on lifting the bronco, so I'd like to know if a 31 tire would fit? The fenders are already cut.
cheers!

"No prince, no king, no president has ever lived a better life than I have!" - Evel Knievel
Dr. Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/07, 11:28 PM   #2
stock74

NorCal

My Gallery
Stock wheels are 15x7" and yes 31x10.5" tires will fit just fine. I have the same rim size and tire size on my bronco and they actually clear just fine without the fenders being cut, but since yours are already cut that just gives you more room for bigger tires and wheels. I would not recommend any tires wider then 10.5" on the stock 7" wide wheels, as it is 10.5" tires on 7" wheels make the tires bulge quiet a bit. But there are some tire companies that make tall narrow tires, you will have to look around. I know BFGoodrich used to make tall narrow tires but I am not sure if they still do. Typically, the tall narrow tires larger then 31" are narrower then 10.5" and that may or may not be a concern for you. Wider tires will probably be more stable and give you some extra traction. If you go to a wider wheel such as 8" wide then you will open up your tire options quiet a bit since 12.5" tire widths are a lot more common. Good luck!

'74 Bronco w/ Ranger pkg (green) 2nd owner -Uncut, 5.0 H.O. SEFI, C4, 3.5" SL, 31" MTR's, Family Cage, 24 Gal. Gas Tank, 2 in 1 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Muffler, 4-wheel pwr disc brakes, Hella euro spec H4's...etc
stock74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/07, 07:41 AM   #3
wildbill
Contributor
Old Bronco Guy

Broncos Rule! WildBill's 66

Topeka Kansas USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bronc View Post
I am curious to know what size the stock early bronco rim is? And how big of a tire can be put on the stock rim? Is it possible that the stock rim is 7inchs wide? Would it be possible to put 31" tires x 10.5 on this rim or bigger??
I'm not planning on lifting the bronco, so I'd like to know if a 31 tire would fit? The fenders are already cut.
cheers!
The stock ford wheel is a 15" and is 5.5" wide. I would not suggest running a 31" tire on it. You should be able to find some 7 or 8" wide wheels good luck. Bill
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/07, 10:25 AM   #4
Dr. Bronc

CANADA
Thanks for the reply. I will try to measure the width of the rim soon to make sure. I am hoping it is 7" and not 5.5". If I decide to buy 8" rims, what is the bolt pattern for the early bronco's? Any cheap rims that would fit?
I tried a 90's F-150 rim, and the bolt pattern was off quite a bit. Did the bolt pattern on the early broncos change in the 11 year run?
Thanks everyone!

"No prince, no king, no president has ever lived a better life than I have!" - Evel Knievel
Old 06/18/07, 11:41 AM   #5
Jeepster
Bronco Guru

syracuse
5 on 5 1/2 is what your looking for. Same thru out all of the EB's in fact most all ford trucks till about 94? I think. Just make sure you check the backspacing.
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/07, 06:30 PM   #6
stock74

NorCal

My Gallery
Sorry, I was thinking of the wheels I currently have on my bronco when I told you the stock wheel size. They are actually smaller then 7". In that case I would not recommend a 10.5" wide tire on the stock wheels. As someone else said most older Ford truck wheels should fit as long as the backspacing is okay. There are also quiet a few after market wheels that you can purchase relatively cheap or see if anyone is selling some used after market wheels. Anyway, good luck finding a set of wheels!

'74 Bronco w/ Ranger pkg (green) 2nd owner -Uncut, 5.0 H.O. SEFI, C4, 3.5" SL, 31" MTR's, Family Cage, 24 Gal. Gas Tank, 2 in 1 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Muffler, 4-wheel pwr disc brakes, Hella euro spec H4's...etc
stock74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/07, 02:42 PM   #7
Dr. Bronc

CANADA
Thumbs up

If I happen to find a F-150 rim before 1994. Will I be able to put a 12.5 or 10.5 wide tire on it? I'm sure the F-150 rim will be wider than the old stock bronco rim?

Old 05/27/12, 12:06 PM   #8
bucslyr308

My Gallery
what is the backspacing on a 77 ford bronco wheel trying to get a match for rims, getting a deal on a 255/75 r 17 BFG.
my bronco will have a 3.5 inch lift and is uncut
bucslyr308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/12, 04:35 PM   #9
MyOriginal66
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Los Angeles
Dodge ram 1500 have 17"x7" steels that fit. Just need to open the centers slightly.

Click here for my '71 LUBR build
It's not a daily driver, but built to be driven daily... anywhere!

And for the '69 beater click here
MyOriginal66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/12, 06:19 PM   #10
markperry
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Rock Chalk

Platte City

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bronc View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will try to measure the width of the rim soon to make sure. I am hoping it is 7" and not 5.5". If I decide to buy 8" rims, what is the bolt pattern for the early bronco's? Any cheap rims that would fit?
I tried a 90's F-150 rim, and the bolt pattern was off quite a bit. Did the bolt pattern on the early broncos change in the 11 year run?
Thanks everyone!
5 on 5 and a half is the bolt pattern.

5 Lug Bolt Patterns
A B C
5 Bolt 4.50" B.C. 2.645" 4.280"
5 Bolt 4.75" B.C. 2.792" 4.518"
5 Bolt 5.00" B.C. 2.939" 4.755"
5 Bolt 5.50" B.C. 3.233" 5.231"

Last edited by markperry; 05/27/12 at 06:29 PM..

1976 ,351, 33's, c4, 411 gears, Hydroboost, Twin Sticks. Detroit locker, LS D44, 2.5 SL,Champion radiator. Rampage soft top, Tom's Bronco bucket seats.
3g alternator.
VOTE FOR CLASSIC BRONCOS:
http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/r...cgi?id=oldford
markperry is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech