• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project #2

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I started a thread about a 75 my boss and I are workin' on, so I figured I might as well do the same for my project at home. I picked it up last weekend, and hauled it back through an ice storm (I think I mentioned that too). Now I'm in the middle of a sh!T storm.

It was supposed to be almost rust free, except for floor patches%) . I did a half a$$ job lookin' it over since the weather sucked, and I made the mistake of trustin' the guy. I'm not bashin' him though, I don't think he knew that it needed any more than he told me. In fact, I contacted him after I started diggin' into it, and finding things. I didn't want a refund I was just frustrated, and wanted to let him know. He is obviously a standup guy, he offered a c4, auto steering column, and transfer case adapter to make things right;D . In the process of buying it, I had mentioned that I planned to convert it to an automatic. I was very impressed, and I'd definitely deal with him again.

Anyway here are a few pics of the progress so far. I keep forgetting to take my camera to work, the 75 is comin' along too. I hope I can avoid gettin' burned out, right now I eat, sleep and breath Broncos.

DSCN0792.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0831.jpg

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I don't think there's a such thing as a 30-40 year old vehicle without a few surprises. I bought my 70 little over a year ago. I didn't know where to look and when I pulled the carpet a few weeks after buying my rig, I found that the driver's side floor pan was in very bad shape, and the passengers side also had some rust. It wasn't a big deal, just a surprise I wasn't expecting. You found a bit more than I did but it looks like you're headed in the right direction.

OP
OP
Fishbone

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I wasn' too upset, it is in nice shape. It just wasn't quite as good as described, but I really don't think the PO knew anymore than he said. It's all pretty easy stuff, and I should have time to get it whipped into shape by spring.

It actually came from Arkansas, then Oklahoma, but you're right it's in darn good shape for it's age.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Nice work.
I recently had to replace the inner aprons as well. I made a new bolt on bracket for the inner fender to fire wall support so if and when needed the front clip can be fully removed;)

Attachments

• Panel Cutout1.jpg
    Panel Cutout1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Panel P4.jpg
    Panel P4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Fender bracket.jpg
    Fender bracket.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
Fishbone

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
That's a great idea! Where were you 2 days ago?

I'm just kiddin' ya, I really do like that idea though. I might have to steal it if I do another EB.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
That's a great idea! Where were you 2 days ago?

I'm just kiddin' ya, I really do like that idea though. I might have to steal it if I do another EB.

Though I would love to claim it as my own idea I got the idea from 77TexasBronc in the tech section here: http://classicbroncos.com/frontclip.shtml

Great idea making future engine replacement, body paint prep removal or whatever a bit easier

OP
OP
Fishbone

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
It's been kind of slow going with the holidays:( , but I did get a few more things done.;D

For some reason I didn't take a pic after the floor was welded in place.?:?
DSCN0833.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0851.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0850.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I'll second that. You have done a great job on your repairs. The floor pan is the best I've seen. All the inner apron rust you found was exactly like what I found. I didn't realize how bad it was until I removed the fenders and the inner fenders fell apart. My repairs look like garbage compared to what you've done.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Very nice repairs. I really like how you patched the floor and back of the right side wheel tub. I've done a number of the same repairs and yours looks nicer than any of mine!

OP
OP
Fishbone

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Thanks for all the nice comments, they make it worth the effort. Hopefully the final results will be worth it too.

Here is what I'm lookin' to do with it. I hate just copying someone else’s rig, but I love this thing, and it's not from around here anyway. I've heard "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" hopefully the owner of this EB will agree with that, if he ever sees mine.
image_342f.jpg

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Fishbone, Thats real nice work on the rust repair. As far as copying someone elses build, imitation is the best form of flatery. that is a nice half cab.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Gee you guys did it the easy way. I ended up duplicating both kick panels and inner aprons from 18ga material. I really didnt like how flimsy the stock panels were and not really strong enuf to hold up the core support. It sure did make the core support feel a lot more solid without fenders being attached.

I also ended up making my own floorpans, since none of the repops really fit like what I had expected. I also welded from the bottom, since the holes were drilled thru the supports already when old pans were removed. Made for little cleanup on top. I also covered the location of welds with a flat plate of aluminum. It prevented any warpage and kept from burning thru.

2550743_41_full.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishbone

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
You made that floor pan? How did you make the lines in it? It appears to be stamped and not done with a bead roller. How did you duplicate the recess for the body mount? That's nice work fordtrucks. I'm very impressed.
All the patches I made were 16ga. Although it probably doesn’t mean boo, because everything around the patches is a lighter gauge. Did you make the entire kick panel and inner fender from 18ga. If so I’d love to see ‘em, if you have time post a couple of pics.

I thought about doing the floor so that the edges would be more hidden. It's a much cleaner look no doubt, but I decided I’d rather have no horizontal seams on the underside. The less places there is for moisture to sit, the better. I chose to drill the floor out from the top, and weld it from the top, because I don’t want to do either of those things over my head, unless I have to. I’ll be lining the tub anyway, which will hide any disc marks and even the edges to some extent. It will also add strength, sound deadening , and help seal it up.

Today I’m gonna work on a patch on the platform under the drivers seat. There is a raised rib there that is going to be a pain to duplicate. I started makin’ it last night. Hopefully it will turn out decent. I’ll post some pics of it, good or bad.

ky-resto

Wow! Great work on all the pics on this thread! Hey Fishbone, what do you use to bend the metal on your patch pieces?

OP
OP
Fishbone

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Ky-resto, it's pretty crude, I wish I had more of the right tools, but I'm using a bunch of clamps, a welding table, some big pieces of 5/8" steel, a vise, and hammers.

I got the rusted section out, and the new piece made. Now to make a template, and cut the new piece. Hopefully it fits on the first try (I need a crossing fingers smiley).

DSCN0856.jpg

DSCN0861.jpg

DSCN0859.jpg