Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 02/16/08, 01:35 PM   #1
Dachy

I love my truck, but I'm obsessed with clubbing... you know, like baby seals

San Diego, CA.

My Gallery
Starts right up, but won't stay running.

I have a 302 with after market heads (RHS), RPM Performer Intake, and a Edelbrock 1405 600cfm carburetor.

When I turn the key it starts right up, runs for about 2 seconds then shuts off unless I rev it up. I have tried raising the idle speed but that does not seem to help at all.

I was told to check the idle mix, squirt some carb cleaner in the air bleeds to make sure they are clear and make sure the idle circuit is clear. Someone suggested it sounds like the idle circuit is plugged and it is running off the pump circuit when I hit the throttle.

This is all mostly Greek to me! Can someone explain this better? At first the truck wouldn't start up at all so my buddy rebuilt it real quick and it worked the first try. I would imagine the whole thing has been cleaned up real nice but maybe not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

- Charles
Old 02/16/08, 05:42 PM   #2
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
I think you may have a vacuum leak. Either the a vacuum cap has been left off or is cracked and has a hole in it or you have a gasket leaking either under the carb or the intake manifold is leaking.

You idle bleeds are located in the throat of the carb you might try removing the idle mixture screws at the front of the carb and spray some carb cleaner through the passages and watch for it to spray out the holes in the throat(wear googles or face shield before you do this). If carb cleaner comes out and it still wont idle I'd check for vacuum leaks might want to try raising the idle speed until it will stay running with out you working the throttle then you can take the carb cleaner again and spray around the gasket areas. If the RPMs increase when you spray it in a certain area theres your leak.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
Old 02/16/08, 06:57 PM   #3
Dachy

San Diego, CA.

My Gallery
is it very likely that this is a cam/timing chain issue? the motor sounds good to me when it's running but it has been suggested.
Old 02/16/08, 07:53 PM   #4
Pa PITT
Contributor
Bronco Guru

NP435 BED LINER TOP. BED. BUMPERS. ROCKERS. 4bt P/S. FLOTHRU TAILGATE. 16'' TIR

Stephenville..TX.

My Gallery
Garage
I'm sure I'll get slammed for this answer but I'd have some one else start it and I'd spray it with starting fluid every second or 2 to keep it running for 30 seconds or so ...So I could hear it ....Now maybe you could use berryman spray instead of either ...(Disclaimer here push it out of you house garage when your having carb problems I've of about 3 people burning their house down ,due to carb problems )
Old 02/16/08, 10:04 PM   #5
Itsa67

This Vampire Bleeds Ford Blue

Colorado Springs, CO

My Gallery
I'm going to vote for the vacuum leak problem. My 67 had a vacuum cap deteriorate to the point that it wouldn't keep running without constant throttle attention or bunches of choke applied...then one day I heard the tell tale whistle from up front and had it fixed in about 5 minutes. Do the spray test on gaskets + look at all vacuum hoses and caps for deterioration.

1967 U15, 289, 3 spd, 3.50's
Old 02/17/08, 02:25 AM   #6
Madgyver
Bronco Madman

RADIO FLYER ROCKS

Honolulu,Hawaii

My Gallery
While revving it up cover the airhorn with your other hand like you are starving it and as it starts to die let the air in to keep it running, do this a couple of times and it should clear the idle air bleeds if you still got the problem check the fuel pump....

Last edited by Madgyver; 02/17/08 at 08:21 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0nc0xrapt0r View Post
your so full of shit your eyes are brown.
Haha.
Old 02/17/08, 07:09 AM   #7
howiebilt
Contributor
Bronco Buddah

Broncoholic member and proud of it !!!!!!!!!

Baxter

My Gallery
Just in case you don't have this , I included the link to Edelbrocks tuning manual so you can read it for hours and be just as confused as ever

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

I would go over the IAM (idle air mixture)section

good luck and post up when you get it done

howiebilt

DEEP FAITH ELIMINATES FEAR ... On The Trail ...It's howiebilt not howiebought and Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
http://www.loopd.com/members/howiebilt
Old 02/17/08, 07:44 AM   #8
77broncoguy

Grand Rapids, MI
Mine does this on occasion when it's sat for a few days. Starts great then dies. I figured mine was a fuel delivery problem. I put a small inline check valve I got from work just after the tank. Since then I've had no problems. I guess the fuel line was draining back to the tank. It held enough fuel in the clear filters I have to start but would die until the pump filled the line again. I don't know if I found a cure or if its just coincidence. I thought I'd share since I haven't had the problem since.

77 uncut, 347 - C4 - D20, line-x interior, 6 pt cage, painless wiring, quick release rear seat, powder coated ammo can storage boxes, powder coated ammo can center console with speakers and plow control.
Old 02/17/08, 10:22 AM   #9
Dachy

San Diego, CA.

My Gallery
thanks Howie and everyone else, I'll look into all those things. Just for clarification though, I was running it off a gas can hooked up directly to the carb so that rules out any fuel line problems...i'm going to hook it up to the fuel pump etc though either today or tomorrow.
Old 02/17/08, 11:03 AM   #10
j.r.nice
Contributor
Bronco Guru

OHIO, heart of
eBay: jrnice
Recheck your float levels, check your idle mixture. Run a vacuum gauge on it. Generally a vacuum leak will cause the engine to lean out and run faster. If it's loading up it will stall.

66 & 89 BRONCOs
90 F450 Rollback
65 Falcon 2 & 4 dr wagons
MAKIN' OLD CRAP LIKE NEW...FOR OVER 35 YEARS!
Old 02/20/08, 01:01 PM   #11
Dachy

San Diego, CA.

My Gallery
if this rain stops, and I can't get this thing to stay running, anyone in San Diego feel like coming over this weekend to help? I'm in the Tierrasanta area.

thanks,
Charles
Old 02/20/08, 01:16 PM   #12
73azbronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Aridzona
Sorry, I'm not getting the full picture. Did this problem happen after you did something to the motor or did it just start not idling correclty after it had been running right, then your friend rebuilt it real quick, which to me sounds bad? You said bad cam or timing chain, did you change those or again do you think they are going bad as time goes on? Can you give us the full timeline of how this went down, that will help decide mechanical, electrical or fuel...

I don't understand why your using a gas can as fuel source, why not fuel pump/fuel tank?
Old 02/20/08, 01:43 PM   #13
H8tulooze

Classic Car Collector

Corona, CA
Do you have a Duraspark? If so I had the same problem, brand new Box was bad. I exchanged it and BAM! started right up.

1970 Chevy 4x4 swb
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro 1967 SS Nova
1970 SS396 EL Camino 1970 Bronco SOLD!!!
Old 02/20/08, 02:30 PM   #14
j.r.nice
Contributor
Bronco Guru

OHIO, heart of
eBay: jrnice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachy View Post
if this rain stops, and I can't get this thing to stay running, anyone in San Diego feel like coming over this weekend to help? I'm in the Tierrasanta area.

thanks,
Charles

darn, too far away......and it's snowing here

66 & 89 BRONCOs
90 F450 Rollback
65 Falcon 2 & 4 dr wagons
MAKIN' OLD CRAP LIKE NEW...FOR OVER 35 YEARS!
Old 02/20/08, 03:33 PM   #15
jpalmer

MUD IS MY LOCTITE

Boise, ID

My Gallery
Something else to look into is you might have sucked up some gunk from your gas can apparatus and that has clogged your fuel lines causing fuel only to get through when under throttle. That's something quick and easy to check.

'67 - LSx/NV4500/NP241, full widths, 4.10s & ARBs, 37" M-16s on 17x9s, M8000, 3.5" sl, 2" bl, ext. arms, 1 ton steering w/ TRO, fully Rhino-lined, hboost, DP dash w/ Autometers, custom bumpers, family cage, WCBRC PS, projectors, LED tails, more.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives