• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Build Thread - Clifford

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I figured I'd start my own build thread...so, here goes.

I bought it from a guy in Alabama that found it in a field and started fixing it up. This is what I got from the previous owner.

The body looks pretty good. The paint is a few years old and still has a good shine. There are several flaws in the paint but looks really good far off and in pictures, but when closely inspected, not a high quality paint job. The floor pans were butched up by the PO and covered up with a spray-in liner, one of these days I'll have to redo that. I have found very little rust and the spots I have found is just mild surface rust. The wiring has been cut up and most of it is either not original or not hooked up. All-in-all the body is good enough for now and will have to last for a while.

The drive train is in rough shape and that is where I am focusing my attention. I inherited a ragged out Dana30 with worn kingpins and drum brakes. The Engine barely runs, leaks badly, and needs rebuilt or replaced. The tranny seems to be ok, but the shift linkages are badly worn. The Transfer Case appears to be working fine, but the shifter is worn badly. The rear operates fine, but leaks and the rear brakes need to be rebuilt. The 3.50 gears aren't cutting it with the 35's. The front drive shaft clunks pretty badly when locked in, so I've got to investigate that.

The build direction:

I'm building an all purpose vehicle that will be just as capable off-road as it is on the highway. I want to retain the stock interior look, yet have the most up-to-date drive train as possible.

Planned Mods:
Dana44 - DONE
Hydroboost - DONE
4.56 gears - DONE
Upgraded Axles and Front and Rear ARBs - Rear Done
ZF Tranny - DONE (NP435)
Twin-Stick Dana20
Rebuild rear drum brakes
Rebuild/Replace 302 Engine (maybe 351W or 347 Stroker) - DONE (explorer motor with gt40p heads)
Centech Harness
Might go EFI, not sure yet.

That's pretty much it...

This is what she looked like when I bought it...

Attachments

• 70 Bronco 01 (Large).jpg
    70 Bronco 01 (Large).jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 70 Bronco 04 (Large).jpg
    70 Bronco 04 (Large).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 70 Bronco 06 (Large).jpg
    70 Bronco 06 (Large).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 70 Bronco 07 (Large).jpg
    70 Bronco 07 (Large).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
New Coolant System

The first thing on the list was to fix the death wobble. Everybody knows all about that so I'll skip the details.

Second, I had to take on the leaking coolant system.

Not many pics, but...pretty basic stuff. I went with JBG's 4-Core Standard Radiator, 180* Thermostat, New Hoses, Chrome Upper and Lower Radiator Mounts, and Resevoir.

I found out that my temp gauge is broken so I've gotta find a new/rebuilt gauge soon.

For the most part, I the install went really well; no big surprises or hold-ups. The new radiator seems to keep her pretty cool.

Attachments

• 70 Bronco 17.JPG
    70 Bronco 17.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 70 Bronco 19.JPG
    70 Bronco 19.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
In search for a Dana 44

Ok, so for those of you running 35's and no power drum brakes, you know why this was high on my list of things to get done. Eating the back-end of someone's Lexus was at the front of my mind everytime I took her out for a cruise.

I also noticed that the Dana30 kingpins were bad and needed some work. I figured the front end would need rebuilt since the rest of the drive-train on this rig was toast and since i liked runnin' the 35's I figured all this added up to...

DANA44 TIME

I found a 76 front end from a member here for $350 bucks so I had to jump on it.

1st pic shows Dana30 with worn kingpins.

Attachments

• 76 D44 Disc 04 (Large).JPG
    76 D44 Disc 04 (Large).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 76 D44 Disc 03 (Large).JPG
    76 D44 Disc 03 (Large).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 76 D44 Disc 02 (Large).JPG
    76 D44 Disc 02 (Large).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 76 D44 Disc 01 (Large).JPG
    76 D44 Disc 01 (Large).JPG
    119 KB · Views: 218
  • 70 Bronco 35.JPG
    70 Bronco 35.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
D44 Rebuild

I sand blasted the axle housing and painted it with two coats of POR15 followed by two coats of Chasis Black. I think it turned out pretty good. My son, Dillon, actually painted the last coat by himself. Good job buddy!!

I also decided to paint the new hub/rotor assemblies. I figured that after a couple years they'd start looking pretty rough anyway. Same formula as the D44...POR15 and Chasis Black.

I installed all new seals, bearings, axle joints, slingers, and new mile marker hubs. The ball joints were recently replaced and very tight so I didn't replace those. I also installed all new brake hard line and stainless braided caliper lines.

I also picked up the 3-Way adjustable steering and Drop Pitman arm used from BroncoJAK for a heck of deal, thanks man!!

Attachments

• Dana 44 After - 04 (Large).JPG
    Dana 44 After - 04 (Large).JPG
    123 KB · Views: 144
  • Dana 44 After - 02 (Large).JPG
    Dana 44 After - 02 (Large).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Rotors After - 03 (Large).JPG
    Rotors After - 03 (Large).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Rotors After - 02 (Large).JPG
    Rotors After - 02 (Large).JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Rotors After - 01 (Large).JPG
    Rotors After - 01 (Large).JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Rotors Before - 03 (Large).JPG
    Rotors Before - 03 (Large).JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Rotors Before - 02 (Large).JPG
    Rotors Before - 02 (Large).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Rotors Before - 01 (Large).JPG
    Rotors Before - 01 (Large).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Dana44 Install

After several months of collecting parts the big day came this past weekend to finally do the swap.

I had also picked up all the stuff I needed to convert to power hydroboost brakes.

Oh yeah baby!!! I knew I was in for a surprise going from non-power drum brakes to hydroboost disc brakes. Holy crap, what a major improvement.

We also found out that the steering knuckles put the tie rod ends right up in my wheel weights so I went with some 1.5" wheel spacers to get the clearence i needed. One nice surprise is now with the spacers in the 35s don't rub the radius arms anymore; very nice!! ;D

A huge shout-out to bigmuddy for all his guidance, patients, and help installing this stuff with me. We had a great time and he stocks some pretty good beer too! <grin>

I went with the BC Bracket. This is a very nice bracket and it came with everything I needed to get the job done. I followed the silverfellatio.com advise and went with the 79 Lincoln Saginaw and Corvette MC to mate to the 98 AstroVan Booster I found for $35 at the local u-jerk it yard.

The cool thing about the BC Bracket Kit is that it had a bronze bushing in the kit that made it possible to re-use the end of the hydroboost pushrod instead of a clevis. We just had to cut the center section out of the rod, weld the end back on, insert the bronze bushing and put the pin through it. Worked pretty slick.

For the pedal rod, the kit came with a peice of think wall pipe. One end of it is the clevis end that goes to the bracket, the other end just has a hole in it. So, you just cut your pedal rod down the size you need, slip it inside the pipe, tighten the set screw where you want your pedal height and your good to go.

Napa made the high pressure lines I needed for about $85.

Attachments

• Dana44 Swap 003 (Large).jpg
    Dana44 Swap 003 (Large).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Dana44 Swap 002 (Large).jpg
    Dana44 Swap 002 (Large).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Dana44 Swap 001 (Large).jpg
    Dana44 Swap 001 (Large).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Hydroboost 006 (Large).jpg
    Hydroboost 006 (Large).jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Hydroboost 004 (Large).jpg
    Hydroboost 004 (Large).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Hydroboost 001 (Large).jpg
    Hydroboost 001 (Large).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 223
  • PS Pump - 02 (Large).JPG
    PS Pump - 02 (Large).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I got them at autozone. They are located on one of the isles in my store.

Part number on the box: 9.13101R
Made by: Energy Suspension

I've got an extra set, if you want 'em, they're yours.

-Chad

Last edited:

dmargnut

Loc.
Santa Fe, NM
Hey kbldawg, I'm inspired by what I see. Great work! Quick question though, what size bolt did you use to press your pulley back on to your power steering pump? The tool I borrowed from Autozone was stripped and their backup tool was broken where the smaller thread goes to the larger thread. I tried measuring the tool and thought it was 5/16, turned out too small. I also tried an M8 but it was too small too. Is it even metric? I could try an M10 but I thought I would ask someone who might know.

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Hey kbldawg, I'm inspired by what I see. Great work! Quick question though, what size bolt did you use to press your pulley back on to your power steering pump? The tool I borrowed from Autozone was stripped and their backup tool was broken where the smaller thread goes to the larger thread. I tried measuring the tool and thought it was 5/16, turned out too small. I also tried an M8 but it was too small too. Is it even metric? I could try an M10 but I thought I would ask someone who might know.

That thing was a pain in the butt.

It's probably a 3/8ths bolt. I remember that the socket we used to tighten it down with was 1/2". I used the bolt, nut, and washer supplied with the pump (pic 5 posts up), but it stripped out about half way through the process. bigmuddy happened to have a pulley install tool and we finished if off with that, but we ended up stripping his too. It's a pain, but just keep working with it.

As far as the bolt size, I dunno. Maybe take the stripped one to the hardware store. They will usualy have a bolt indentifier area where you can double check which one you need.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
He destroyed the one that came with the pump and then he destroyed that one that came with my install kit. Bastard and then he drank all the quality beer.

Knucklehead :cool:

Ben

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
He destroyed the one that came with the pump and then he destroyed that one that came with my install kit. Bastard and then he drank all the quality beer.

Knucklehead :cool:

Ben

Hey, I don't remember a thing, it was the brew.

ha ha ha, what was the name of that stuff again. 90 Shilling or something? Mmmm tastey!!

You must have bought the pully install kit the same place I got that double flaring kit.

Completely off topic, but...somehow I just managed to catch my jeans on fire welding that broken seat tab back on. Don't ask, cause I have no idea how that just happened.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Get off the pipe kbldawg! No really we had a good time upgrading kbldwags rig and I have to say it everything went a whole lot smoother than the mods I did on my truck. I was joking about the beer thing! I know better than to leave the good beer out where he can find it :cool:

Yep good ol Ft.Collins 90 Schilling, now that I know that you like I will have to hide it :cool:

Those wheel spacers are pretty slick and I am thinking about a set of the 1.5" for my rig. By the way, the bracket we used for his hydroboost was from BC bronco's and made the install alot easier and a little cheaper than the Duff bracket I used. I do however like the firewall seal that Duff used better than the BC unit.

Ben

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
ryan_289 said:
Its the cheap beer

Ha! I bet you're right!!

I do however like the firewall seal that Duff used better than the BC unit.

Ben

X2!! The seal had already pushed out on the firewall side by the time I made it home.

I think I may try and fab up something up to keep it smashed up against the bracket, instead of sandwiched between the bracket and firewall.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Next time your over, check out the seal on my bracket (duffs) You might be able to order a replacement through duff? I think it would probably work OK if you can get it to stick to the firewall and then get the bracket down and tightened over it.

Ben

dmargnut

Loc.
Santa Fe, NM
Kbldawg, Thanks for the reply. I may just crack and buy a tool or I may just keep trying larger bolts. One has to wedge itself strong enough to get that pulley back on. I'll figure out a way.

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
ryan_289 and I traded front bumpers today.

He needed a deep winch bumper for that tall boy Warn Winch he got and I wanted a stock one.

I used the center bumper bolt holes for mounting my Hella Lights to. It worked out pretty good once I found some 3/8ths inch nylon spacer. With out them, the lights wouldn't point up strait.

I think it turned out pretty good, now I just need to find a rear bumper that looks as good.

Attachments

• Warn Bumper (Large).JPG
    Warn Bumper (Large).JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Front Bumper 001.jpg
    Front Bumper 001.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Front Bumper 002.jpg
    Front Bumper 002.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Kbldawg, Thanks for the reply. I may just crack and buy a tool or I may just keep trying larger bolts. One has to wedge itself strong enough to get that pulley back on. I'll figure out a way.

Maybe try using some PB Blaster one the pump shaft before you start tightening it down.