• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Results of Road Force Balancing Hunter 9700 on my new BFG KM2's Muds

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I decided to start a new thread about the vibration I have been havig with the New BFG Mud Terrain KM's 35x12.5x15's

I took them to a different shop which has the top of the line Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine.

Well not my surprise the BFG's didn't show very well. Two of the tires failed bad, and the other two passed but just bairlly. And one of the ones that did pass still had a visible hop to it.

I called BFG and had to fight with them to get them to agree to send me two new tires. They wanted to send me just one, saying you can't go by what the Hunter machine tells you.

They guy who tested these 4 tires said he wasn't happy with any of them, but the two that failed we about the worst he has seen in a long time. So if thats how BFG is making tires these days I would stay far away from them

Here are the two that failed

roadforce.jpg

roadforce2.jpg

73bronco

WOW that really sucks! Sorry to hear you are having problems. Those tires are really bad! I know what tires I won't ever buy! Thanks for keeping us all updated! Good luck!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I know where you can get some at's.....say the word and i'll dismount them so you can use or do what ever....

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Wow that sucks! I have always been a fan of BFG tires I have had them on my last three daliy driver trucks and love them. I have a set of 315 70 R16 AT KM on my superduty that have 45,000 miles on them and they have been great. Also have a set of 33" BFG MT on my 67 bronco and they ride really nice. They are the old KMs not the KM2s. I hope this is just something with the new tread design not accross the product line.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I know where you can get some at's.....say the word and i'll dismount them so you can use or do what ever....

Randy they are yours, so just enjoy them.
Though maybee I might ask to borrow the tires you just took off, if I need to drive for a few days without these BFG's

hehe what a dumbass I was giving those away, as they ride so smooooth

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I'm not done polishing, and they are not balanced. But you could take them mounted on the slots and run them until you're ready...

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Ive got a set of p255/85 16s that balanced up pretty well but started hopping about 75 MPH.

I have been fighting tall tires and balancing my entire life. Heck I even took a set to get them shaved one time. Big waste of money on tall tires.

I thought that any one that had a hunter machine also had the glue in tire weights that they cement to the tire out at the backside of the tread. Not sure how ell that works on a tire that will eb run offroad but I have seen them turn absolutely terrible tires into smooth runners.

Throw some airsft pellets in the the tire and save yourself a lot of greif. Just let them get them as close as possible on the machine first.

I used to go back and forth between all the local tire shops until I found someone that actually knew how to run the machine and balance the tire. A few years ago I just decided life was too short. I now let them do their thing and watch them to see that thewy do it right. Then I take the tires home break them open and throw 5-10 oz (depending on tire size) of the high density airsoft BBs in every tire and put them back together leaving the weights where they were.

I am a lot happier person now too.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
Damn, I learn a lot from this site:

There are a couple of commercially available products designed just for balancing tires. One company in particular, Innovative Balancing, has developed a product that works very well. They call them Dyna Beads. They are small ceramic balls that can be inserted through the valve stem. Since they are perfectly round, they quickly roll into position and adapt to balancing changes. They will not clump from moisture inside the tire. Since the media is small, they recommend a filtered valve stem so you don’t loose any of the media when air is released.

Compared to other media and bolt on balancers, the Dyna Beads are a bargain. On average, to buy the media, filtered valve cores and the removal tool for four tires, you’re looking at about $60. They claim their beads reduce the operating temperature of the tire and can extend tread life 35%. They have also developed a great chart which you can use to determine how much balancing media you need. Use it here, http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm.

Always one to save a buck or two at the expense of some effort, I found Airsoft pellets to be an excellent alternative that has most of the benefits of Dyna Beads and none of the drawbacks of the alternatives. Airsoft pellets are too large to fill through the valve stem and they are less massive per unit, so they’re not as efficient as Dyna Beads, but still very good. They are perfectly round balls of high density plastic which will not clump from moisture or breakdown over time. I ordered 2 KG of pellets online for $26 shipped to my door.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
walmart has them for like $19. I get 25-30% longer tire life on the 96 F250.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I know a guy who claims he used to take brand new TSL's to a big truck shop and have the outer edge ground/cut until they were round. Lost a little tread, but barely needed to be balanced after that (so he claims). I have no other info and am not sure if it's even possible, but thats the story I was told. Maybe some truckers can chime in and verify this story (or not).

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
This seems like a classic case of a manufacturer rushing out a new product before all the kinks have been ironed out, I would have expected more from BFG

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Bummer news. I've been getting close to making the KM2 my next tire...maybe I'll stick to regular Mud Terrains.

DB,
How much oz. did you end up on the wheels (inside/outside) that did work?

Did you try a test ride with the bad ones anyway, unbalanced? Results?

To the bead users-
Still not sure about putting anything inside my tires for balancing. How does airing down effect that stuff? I drive to and from the trail. Experience?

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
This seems like a classic case of a manufacturer rushing out a new product before all the kinks have been ironed out, I would have expected more from BFG

Thats what I am thinking

Bummer news. I've been getting close to making the KM2 my next tire...maybe I'll stick to regular Mud Terrains.

DB,
How much oz. did you end up on the wheels (inside/outside) that did work?

Did you try a test ride with the bad ones anyway, unbalanced? Results?

They have a pretty good amout of weight approx 2-2.5 oz per side per wheel
The bad ones are still on the truck right now, I am sure it will take a while to get some new ones. I didn't try to run them with no weights

Actually I am trying to get the tire company to return these, and replace them with Goodyear mtr's

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to bust anyones ballons , but Tirerack.com has a research link on a lot of tires. BFG has been doing very poorly as of recent , in customer surveys. At least they were when I bought my Firestone's for the tow rig.
So , yup , no suprise here about them making poor tires. We ought to send them this thread and the other Donsbolt started. Once they realize sales are about to plummet , things will change. They used to be bada$$ tires , grip like hell , wear like iron.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
We'll just hope the new ones they get for ya are better.. ;)

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Y'all are missing the point here.

The balance is not the issue, its the uneven sidewall strength.

Certain Parts of the sidewall are soft, and deform under load, it doesnt matter how perfectlly its balanced, when you put weight on it, it will no longer be a round tire, it will be an egg shape when it rolls.

If you buy new tires, only buy them at a shop that has the force machine, and have em tested, and observe the test.

My brother had 33'' BFG Ats installed on his big bronco and the shop had to try 7 tires before they found 4 that would pass the force test.

I doubt they sent the defective ones back, they just sold them to the next unsuspecting customer, who will never understand why their truck bounces, even after they have the tires balanced 10 times.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Never had an issues with my BFG's - I did get them over 4 years ago though...

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
funny, I just replaced my 285-70-17's BFG AT"S on my 07 Dodge, 25k and truck started a horrible "death wobble" at highway speeds.
after the dealer checking and re-checking, alignment and much aggravation found some guys with the same problem, replaced with Toyo AT's.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Just bought a set of MTR's and they balanced out very well. Not too much weight was added and I've had the truck upt to 90 and still smooth. Almost bought some bfg's for the other truck glad I waited.