• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing hood cracks

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The garage was under 100 degrees for the first time in several months, so I did a little welding project fixing those stress cracks in my stock steel hood. I know I've seen people ask about this in the past, so I thought I'd take some pictures of the process. There may be better ways of fixing these cracks, but this method seemed to make sense to me.

3/4"X3/4" tube steel fits well into the inside lip of the hood edge. It had to be bent slightly to follow the curve of the hood.

Trial fit of the new reinforcing brace. The ends need notching to allow for the factory hood bracing.

Using a thin cut off wheel I ground out the crack to give a consistent gap w/ bare metal to fill in with the welder. I then used weld-thru primer to prep the inside of hood edge and the new 3/4" reinforcing brace.

Before and after. Welded and ground smooth.

The cracks near the front of the hood were too close to the hood bumper stop and I couldn't fit full 3/4x3/4 channel in there. So I cut some down similar to angle iron and welded in.

Same front edge crack after welding and grinding smooth.

The front lip also had just the start of a crack along the leading edge. I ground out, welded up and ground smooth.

Last edited:

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Slick Jon, it looks real good.

I just started playing with my millermatic 135 with a gas mix. Never welded before with a mig and stick welded in high school too many years ago. It was amazing how nicely this welder worked on sheet metal.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I welded my hood cracks up before painting my hood. I wish I would have seen how you did it first because your's looks real nice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Jon, you need my garage. Nice comfy 76° in here (A/C running that is)
You can come over and do more of that handy work on mine.

66halfdone

Loc.
St Louis
I need to do the same on my hood. Thanks for the great info. I think this good enough for a tech artical.

Broncoholic1

Nice work I just got a MM 135 gunna hook up the tank today. And have at it. found and old hood on cl to practice on. Some idiot cut a hole for and air cleaner in my new Un-Cut 77 Ranger. That 14" hole is gunna be a bioch. Go man go Keep us posted on the welding I will be getting a new roll to keep up with our ground up.. Nice Work! :)

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys. Hopefully it helps someone down the road.

And since I had the weekend totally to myself (never happens) I got crazy with the paint stripper, DA sander and paint gun. 18 more hours til the wife gets home. Hope the paint fumes clear out of the garage by then!;D

Attachments

• hood paint 007 [1280x768].JPG
    hood paint 007 [1280x768].JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 134
  • hood paint 011 [1280x768].JPG
    hood paint 011 [1280x768].JPG
    57 KB · Views: 135
  • hood paint 009 [1280x768].JPG
    hood paint 009 [1280x768].JPG
    61 KB · Views: 132

72Quarterhorse

Now thats better then a new hood. Is that epoxy primer sealer? I checked out your gallery and got to say you do good work. Nice project you got coming along.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Now thats better then a new hood. Is that epoxy primer sealer? I checked out your gallery and got to say you do good work. Nice project you got coming along.
Thanks. Slow project, but fun when I have the time to get into it.

Yes, that's PPG DP40 epoxy primer. I finally graduated from the rattle can stuff this year. I have to say the end result of spraying real paint with a real gun is very nice, but man it's a hassle to mix up paint and clean the gun after every little touchup. Not to mention expensive. I think I liked it better when I was ignorant and didn't know not to use rattle cans. :-X

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Ya missed a spot :)
Actually I did and it pisses me off. I went to move the hood after it dried and realized that I missed a good coat of paint on the top edge (leading edge of the hood). Now I have to mix up more paint. :mad:

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Make sure you have all the hood bump stops in and adjusted. to prevent cracks in the future.The round frt ones and the L shaped side mid hood ones.It might no prvent them but it will help your hood.