• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost 101

ransil

Bronco Guru
Searching sucks, so I figured i would start a hydroboost 101 thread so all the good information can be found in one place.
Feel free to correct my information or add more technical info.

Here is my collection of boosters, I was looking for the easiest, cheapest bolt in booster.

Vehicle: Chevy Astro 1990 – 1993
Description: Flat mounting plate with studs that go thru the firewall.
Master cylinder: Mounting hole spacing 3 3/8
Pedal rod length: 6” from mounting face
Pedal rod hole size: ½”
Port H-boost - box 16mm-1.5 (Areoquip adapter FBM2608)
Port H-boost - pump 18mm-1.5 (Areoquip adapter FBM2609)

Vehicle: Chevy Astro 1994 – 1995
Description: Flat mounting plate with studs that go thru the firewall.
Pedal rod length: 6” from mounting face
Pedal rod hole size: 5/8”

Vehicle: Chevy Astro 1996 – 2000
Description: angled mounting plate with studs that go thru the firewall.
Pedal rod length: 7 1/2” from mounting face

Vehicle: Ford LTD 1984
Description: angled mounting plate built into the booster studs that go thru the firewall.
Master cylinder: Mounting hole spacing 3 1/4
Pedal rod length: 4 5/8” from mounting face

Vehicle: Chevy Suburban 1984
Description: Flat mounting plate with Bolts for mounting to firewall and 2 studs.
Pedal rod length: 7 1/2” from mounting face
Pedal rod hole size: 1/2”

pic num/desc.

1. 90-93 Astro
2. 90-93 Astro
3. 96-200 Astro
4. 84 LTD ( shows "stick out")
5. 84 LTD MC ( shows clocking plate)
6. 84 Suburban
7. 84 LTD

note on he LTD booster appears to take a master cylinder for manual brakes.( has a stick out)Bronco

Stock Bronco Steering box fittings:

5⁄8-18 Return (Areoquip adapter FCM2964)
11⁄16-18 Pressure (Areoquip adapter FCM2965)

Attachments

• DSC05809.JPG
    DSC05809.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSC05820.JPG
    DSC05820.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 994
  • DSC05814.JPG
    DSC05814.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC05819.JPG
    DSC05819.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 934
  • DSC05821.JPG
    DSC05821.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 815
  • DSC05823.JPG
    DSC05823.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 806
  • DSC05817.JPG
    DSC05817.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
This is great info to have all in one place. Which one of the Astro hydro's would be the simplest for a 76' with a vac booster.?

theshadow

Would there be a preference for which type of mounting plate: angled or flat?

OP
OP
R

ransil

Bronco Guru
Would there be a preference for which type of mounting plate: angled or flat?

I'm using a straight Astro bracket 990-93) on a Bronco angle bracket, seems to be the easiest so far for my setup.

Last edited:

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
So what is the easiest hydroboost to install in the bronco? Does the Astrovan also have a saginaw pump so you can rob the pump and all the lines too? Does this bolt on and work with the EB pedal assembly? I don't mind modifying something to work but I want to know how to do the swap properly with the easiest possable way. I saw the post in the tech articals and it was for on vehicle.

Sorry, I should say that I am a Ford guy that likes to you Ford parts when ever possable. The only Chevy part I would ever use in a Ford would be the distrubutor swap for the 351W.

OP
OP
R

ransil

Bronco Guru
So what is the easiest hydroboost to install in the bronco? Does the Astrovan also have a saginaw pump so you can rob the pump and all the lines too? Does this bolt on and work with the EB pedal assembly? I don't mind modifying something to work but I want to know how to do the swap properly with the easiest possable way. I saw the post in the tech articals and it was for on vehicle.

Sorry, I should say that I am a Ford guy that likes to you Ford parts when ever possable. The only Chevy part I would ever use in a Ford would be the distrubutor swap for the 351W.

Its a Bendix part from a chevy.
Chevy Dist :(

Have not look at the Astro pumps, did not consider them cause they do not look easy to get out, I'm a lazy junker too, I walk around an hour before I pull anything so i can find the easiest one to pull.

lines will not work they are too long, but always cut them an take the booster ends, cause you might need them.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
They are all pretty similar as far as installing them in a bronco. Mine is installed on the factory angled bracket, actually my bracket is from Duffs and I beleive the BC bracket is a bit easier due to the adjustements that come with that bracket. The astrovan doesn't use a saginaw pump and I don't beleive will fit on a stock bronco bracket. I do recall the astro pump uses a remote reservoir. Any lines that you use will either have to made new or modified in some way to work. Can't imagine why you would only allow the dizzy from a chevy? Axles are made by dana and run under many other vehicles so are other parts. made by dana corp and sold to Chevy/ford/dodge etc.

Ben

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
What I ment by Chevy parts in the truck is the Proform 1 wire dizzy for the 351w. I know Dana's came in everything but I would do a Bronco FS Dana 44 brake swap before I did a Chevy Dana 44 brake swap. Thats whay I meant.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

No apologies necessary..but Bendix makes 'em all and the early Lincoln/Mercury systems like the one on my EB used Saginaw pumps too.;D

Bendix brakes, Saginaw pumps, New Process and Borg Warner gear boxes, Dana axles...used by all three of the the 'big three'...

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I figured I would bring this thread back to make sure we centralize data. I have searched several hours last night both online and on CB however I can not find any information on this.
Does anyone know how much input rod travel is needed on a hydroboost? I am not talking pedal travel. with my pedal assembly and angled bracket I get about 1.25 inches of travel on just the input rod into the hydroboost. I am wondering at what point does it actuate? Is it linear the more you push in or does it actually open a valve fully at some point? What I would like is to know at .25" of travel you open the valve and by 1.0" the valve is fully open as an example.

Also at the end of that travel it slightly rubs the inside of the input rod hole. I believe this could cause leakage long term so I am thinking of pulling the pivot arm and lengthening it. The nice thing about the angled bracket is it does not side load the rod like the angled bracket would on a normal pedal assembly but I still think i need to lengthen it.
Thoughts?
Dennis

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
QUOTE]

easiest to swap is the 70's GM diesel pickup HB a straight bolt in. NO messing with adapting fittings (bubble to inverted flare) and if your lucky the pump and lines are there and work perfectly. A true bolt in.
Most Astro vans have a remote reservoir saginaw pump and usually wont work without a lot of work not worth the time
No Astro bolts right on, MC is the issue.
the only bolt on with MC is the one above.
TOFIC

grant_71

Bronco Guru
This is great info to have all in one place. Which one of the Astro hydro's would be the simplest for a 76' with a vac booster.?

The idea is that you do not use your Vac Booster. The boost is from hydraulic pressure off of the power steering pump.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I would still like to know how much rod travel (NOT PEDAL TRAVEL) it takes to actuate any hydroboost. I already have the astrovan but any would be good.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Another option: I used a 2006 F-250 hydroboost mounted directly to the firewall with a 3/16"s plate. The pedal mounted directly to the booster rod. The booster is mounted on it's side to clear the explorer intake.

I made a 1/2" adapter to mount an 80's dodge 1/2 ton master in the correct orientation.

For plumbing I made my own hydraulic lines using 2500 psi hose, and reusable fittings.

All said and done for the hydroboost setup I might have spent $150 +/-.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Another option: I used a 2006 F-250 hydroboost mounted directly to the firewall with a 3/16"s plate. The pedal mounted directly to the booster rod. The booster is mounted on it's side to clear the explorer intake.

I made a 1/2" adapter to mount an 80's dodge 1/2 ton master in the correct orientation.

For plumbing I made my own hydraulic lines using 2500 psi hose, and reusable fittings.

All said and done for the hydroboost setup I might have spent $150 +/-.

Can you post some pics of this setup?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone know how much input rod travel is needed on a hydroboost? I am not talking pedal travel. with my pedal assembly and angled bracket I get about 1.25 inches of travel on just the input rod into the hydroboost. I am wondering at what point does it actuate? Is it linear the more you push in or does it actually open a valve fully at some point? What I would like is to know at .25" of travel you open the valve and by 1.0" the valve is fully open as an example.

Dennis

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Just thoughts on my part, Dennis. There's some mechanical linkage between the input rod and the spool valve inside the unit so it's probably not a 1:1 relationship, but I believe the unit starts to actuate with very little input rod movement. And I imagine the valve is probably fully open by the time you depress the input rod by half? its travel. Just some guesses here. I do have a disassembled unit at home on the R&D bench. Perhaps I can look at it tonight and see whether I can get some better answers to your questions.

Todd Z.

RH

Hi Im fairly new here, Im just starting to rebuild my 71, that Ive been driving the wheels off of for the last 20 years. I have a hydraboost off of a 76 lincoln that I am planning to put on my bronco, has anybody ever used the same. If so I would appreatiate any pointers. By the way you guys have alot of great info on this site. THANKS