• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Have to be smarter than the seatbelt...

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
So I just installed my new 3 point seatbelts from Tom's to my family cage for the rear seats. Installation went pretty smoothly and looks great, but there's a problem...

I can't get the inertia switch to lock the seatbelt when I "yank" on it or stop the truck quick. Prior to install the instructions from Tom mentioned pulling in one continous motion straight up to get the seatbelt to release. I did this and temporarily clamped the seatbelt so it wouldn't retract when I installed.

Now I've got a pretty looking seatbelt that doesn't function for the shoulder belts.

Any ideas? There's got to be something I'm missing (*note - I tried pulling the belt out all the way and letting it retract. It retracts fine, there's just no lock to it.) Happens on both sets too. Please help!

Last edited:

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Double check the orientation that the belts are mounted in. If it's wrong it could be spoofing the mechanism. If you have instructions, make sure that they're mounted as described.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Not much help from me, but DONT take the seatbelt retractor apart to "tinker" with it. Ruined one that way.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Try a hard stop in reverse and see if they lock up. Might need to swap sides to get the inirtia thing facing the right way.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Think I've read that to activate the inertia lock up takes more of a hit than you can create just yanking on it, so may be working fine. Just a thought.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
When I installed my 3pt (from an ebay vender) I had the same questions. I had assumed that rapid spooling locked them, but many are just inertia activated. Unbolt them and play with the orientation and see when they lock.
Mine lock in every orientation except vertical (or the position they are intended to mount in. This tells me that you need and accelleration of 1g or greater in any direction (when mounted correctly) to get it to lock.
I can sometimes get them to lock on steep ascents or decents.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Give Tom's a call, they explained the ones they sell to me, they were a little different if I recall than the typical inertia switch. I dont believe you can test it by hand like that.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Oh and can we get a pic of the rear setup, I need to install a set also and would like to see an example.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
in most car that i have ridden in you cant jsut yank on them and get them to lock, it usally is triggered by hard brakeing.. That is why they installed the child restraint loops in the new cars as the seat belts are non locking like the older generations were when there is tension.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
I called Tom's today and they said it is a pendulum lock and you cannot lock it with just pulling on it. Thanks guys for all the input. Here's some shots of the set-up:

DSCN3339.jpg

DSCN3340.jpg

DSCN3341.jpg

DSCN3342.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
The only thing I don't like is the orientation of the receiver end of the seatbelt. They mount parallel to the seat so you have to twist the seatbelt connector to have it connect.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
I see your kids are the size of mine ;D

Do they latch and release just fine?

Yeah, much better than the stock lap belts and now my wife will let the kids ride in it on the interstate :) It's a little tight to get to the receivers in between the boosters, but it works....Heading up to the mountains in North GA for the 4th of July for the first "longer" trip.

I'm trying to finish recovering the front seats and put the front shoulder belts in before then. Just need more time

Last edited: