Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 08/13/09, 10:24 AM   #1
texfire

NOT ALL THAT WONDER ARE LOST

LTOWN, TEXAS

My Gallery
Best carb for 302?

Hi all,

Was curious about ya'lls thoughts on carburetors. Which ones would work the best for my 302 (a 4 barrel or 2 barrel) and which ones are absolutely a waste of gas and money... but look nice. And does the intake make that much of a difference and if so why? Thanks in advance!
Old 08/13/09, 10:33 AM   #2
daveweil1

No honey that was always on there

Savannah

My Gallery
I had an edlebrock performer intake and holley 600cfm 4 barrel on my otherwise stock 302. I got good throttle response, decent fuel consumption and it looked good too. You can buy a summit intake/carb/air cleaner combo for a decent price right now.
Old 08/13/09, 10:50 AM   #3
BUSMC

Best carb for 302?

Autolite 2100 or 4100. I went through several carbs and finally went to a factory 4100. Best my rig has ever ran on and off road. I had a Holley Truck Avenger and it just guzzled fuel. I got mine (internal spread board) through Pony Carbs. Pricey but worth it IMO.
Old 08/13/09, 10:58 AM   #4
ep67bro
Contributor
Bronco Junky

I used to have time!

EasternShore, MD

My Gallery
Garage
Edlebrock performer intake with a 500 cfm edlebrock carb, or a 500 cfm holley. The stock 2barrel Motorcraft 2100 is a great carb too but wont give you the power of the four barrels. If it is a stock motor there is no need for larger than 500 cfm carb.

67, 289, NP-435, 3.5 lift,1"BL, 33s,custom bumpers, work always in progress, MPB "multi purpose bronco". Wifes 73, 302, c4, 2,5" lift 33s driver, 1996 Fullsize with 4" lift 33s" 5.0
Old 08/13/09, 11:06 AM   #5
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
i have a 470 truck avenger on top of my built 302 and it's plenty. a stock 2 bbl can go everywhere i can though.
Old 08/13/09, 01:55 PM   #6
steven1826
Contributor

carb

I had a 600 Holley and endelbrock and went back to ford 2 barrel. I rarely need to pass anyone on the road.
Old 08/13/09, 03:14 PM   #7
dan73

Chickasha, Oklahoma

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1826 View Post
I had a 600 Holley and endelbrock and went back to ford 2 barrel. I rarely need to pass anyone on the road.
X2. I've tried them all. went back to the motorcraft
Old 08/13/09, 04:42 PM   #8
thumping
Contributor

Scratch'n for traction

Jacksboro Tn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan73 View Post
X3 and could not be happier...well maybe propane but that's a different thread

www.stonecrushersteering.com Scratch'n for traction
Old 08/13/09, 05:28 PM   #9
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
Any carb is good there are some a little better offroad and easier to tune but basically they are all the same. Unless your putting on headers I wouldnt bother switching intakes and carbs the exhuast side of a SBF needs a lot more help than the intake. It does no good to get more air into the engine if you cant get it out.

Now with that said I'll go to the otherside as I rather like 4v intake and carbs more than 2v stuff.. Stock intakes are just that stock they work for what they are and thats about it. Aftermarket intakes are designed to flow better and give you more power Usually in a slightly higher powerband than stock.

Aftermarket carbs are good because they have more support availible in the form of tuning parts so they tend to be more tuneable than stock carbs. Although the term aftermarket is relative as even most "aftermarket" carbs have been used as a Stock apllication from the factory.

Most people dont tune there carbs. They bolt it on and it doesnt run right so they say its crap. Whick is usually not the case at all its just they didnt take time to tune it. Even a stock carb can benifit from tuning but few people ever do it.

I would look for someone selling a old used setup you can pick them up for way cheap and then go from there. I like edelbrock manifolds and Holley carbs 600 cfm or less.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
Old 08/13/09, 05:36 PM   #10
ken75ranger
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Troy, NY
eBay: ken_75

My Gallery
I'd get a Performer manifold(short) and the carb would depend on how you use your Bronco.
Street driving, semi stock engine-stock or Edelbrock are easy to set up.
Off road- stock 2barrel, Holley TA, are easy to set up.
If you don't mind doing a bit more to set up for an off road carb- A holley 600 with vacuum secondaries (tech article in the tech file).Quadrajets can run very good off road too. It does take some time to dial them in.
High hp, high RPM, street/strip - Holley double pumper.

'75 Ranger- with assorted parts
Old 08/13/09, 06:33 PM   #11
ugly74
Bronco abuser

Just your basic rock'n'roll redneck

My Gallery
Garage
I've used lots of carbs,and overall I'm much happier with a plain jane holley mdl 1850 4v. they can be modded very cheap and easy to run offroad well, with much more power potential than the stock 2v motorcraft/autolite.
as for intakes, right now I have an edelbrock performer 302 (with egr blocked) and it works well. but I've also used a weiand stealth, and really that's the one I prefer.

Common sense seems to've become a rare superpower
Old 08/13/09, 07:04 PM   #12
Ranchtruck

My Gallery
I'm running a 1.12 primary 4100 on my 302. It's pretty much a 2100 most of the time but if you wind it out the vacuum secondaries open up. Nice how the tone of the motor gets lower and louder when they open up and it won't run out of steam. It runs great, and they're so simple there really isn't much to go wrong with them.
Old 08/14/09, 05:18 AM   #13
iwlbcnu
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Barboursville

My Gallery
I tried the 4100 and it still would overflow on steep inclines and flood out, ended up using a Autolite 4300, it's a quadrajet on a holley base basically and was used on the 68-75 Fords. Finally found one from a 68 302 Cougar and love it. Dad flopped my rig on its side the other week and said he had to cut it off.

77, 76, 74/77, 74, 66 #1111 Bronco's, plus parts rigs.
85 Mustang GT, 4 time feature car
86 Mustang GT
66 Cyclone GT, 428, 4spd
Old 08/14/09, 05:37 AM   #14
clarrance
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryville TN

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan73 View Post
"x-4" I love the factory carb. Although if you want to become a carb expert go buy a Holley and I promise you you will work on your carb more than you will ever drive your Bronco.
Old 08/14/09, 07:41 AM   #15
Ohio Bill

an all nighter is when you don't have to get up at night to use bath room

Riverside, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarrance View Post
"x-4" I love the factory carb. Although if you want to become a carb expert go buy a Holley and I promise you you will work on your carb more than you will ever drive your Bronco.

That's odd i have had great success with my Holley 2bbl

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives