Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 08/21/09, 11:34 AM   #1
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
heater blower resistor

one of my customer's resistor has gone out on his heater blower motor. would it be the same voltage drop as a resistor for an ignition coil?
Old 08/21/09, 12:59 PM   #2
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
No, it's a different type of resistor, and is designed to reduce current to the fan for different speeds. Usually those blower speed resisters are mounted in the heater duct.

'77. 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, Windsor Jr heads, 4bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon posi.
Vintage Air, Pioneer tunes, Toms seats.
All the comforts!
Old 08/21/09, 01:32 PM   #3
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
eBay: untod
An ignition resistor would catch fire if you tried to use it with the blower. But you can use almost ANY blower resistor (any make/model/year) if you have the matching connector, and can make it fit in that duct.

Old 08/21/09, 01:50 PM   #4
73stallion
BANNED

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
good to know, thanks guys. my knowledge on resistors is minimal unfortunately. anybody have a good used one?
Old 08/21/09, 05:12 PM   #5
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
The blower motor uses more current than the ignition coil so the resistor needs to have a higher wattage capability.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Old 08/21/09, 09:14 PM   #6
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stallion View Post
anybody have a good used one?
I bet your local junkyards have a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperwolf1 View Post
The blower motor uses more current than the ignition coil so the resistor needs to have a higher wattage capability.
...and more resistance.

Old 08/21/09, 09:34 PM   #7
73stallion
BANNED

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
well, gotta hit the wrecking yard this week for a new set of visors for the CR-V, so i'll look around for one. thanks again!
Old 08/21/09, 09:45 PM   #8
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
I bet your local junkyards have a few. ...and more resistance.
I bet the resistance is pretty close. Within a couple ohms.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Old 08/21/09, 11:53 PM   #9
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
Well, it'd have to be since the ig. resistor is only 1.05-1.15 Ohms; the M2 blower resistor is .25; M1 is .55; L is 1.3 , and they're added (so M1 speed uses .8 Ohms; L uses 2.1).

Since the blower draws ~20A, the resistors have to dissipate ~50W of heat.

Old 08/22/09, 12:36 AM   #10
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Since the blower draws ~20A, the resistors have to dissipate ~50W of heat.
Hey Steve, is that last number (50w) correct? I didn't follow each of your numbers and equations, but the rating seems low, since the Mallory ignition ballast resistor is rated at 200 watts.
Is it just that we're talking about current on the one hand, and heat on the other? Or are they one in the same in this case? And if so, would that 200w rating then be sufficient?

I'm not recommending a full-size resistor in place of a true heater-resistor. I'd use a standard heater type, even if only for convenience and safety (with the coils inside the plenum air stream), but it would appear to at least be a functional alternative from an electrical standpoint at least.
Which is why I'm asking.

Thanks

Paul
Old 08/22/09, 09:41 AM   #11
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
I did some quick calculations last night, so I might have goofed, but I think it's right. It seems about right.

Current (Amps, "i") isn't heat; it's the flow rate of electrons. Heat (Watts, "W") is power lost/wasted. Voltage (Volts, "V") is the 'pressure' of electricity. Resistance (Ohms, "R") is the 'friction' of electricity. V = R * i ; W = V * i = R * i * i .

My '83 never had a resistor, and I don't remember what was in Frank's '75, so it surprises me that yours is a 200W. If so, it SHOULD work fine, as long as it's in free or forced air (so it can lose that heat), AND your connections can take the heat. If you confine it in a wiring harness or even wrap it with tape, it'll start a fire. That's why all blower resistors are built to go in the airstream, and are bare. Your ig. resistor is probably ceramic-cased, right?

Old 08/22/09, 10:26 AM   #12
73stallion
BANNED

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
man, you guys lost me a long time ago with amps vs watts, i never did learn that.
Old 08/22/09, 11:13 AM   #13
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stallion View Post
man, you guys lost me a long time ago with amps vs watts, i never did learn that.
Just wait 'till he starts talking calories then!

Paul
Old 08/22/09, 11:23 AM   #14
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
My '83 never had a resistor, and I don't remember what was in Frank's '75, so it surprises me that yours is a 200W.
Did they just regulate it directly in the switch then? Or is there another method of resistance used there? Just curious. Might come in handy someday to know that.

Quote:
If so, it SHOULD work fine, as long as it's in free or forced air (so it can lose that heat), AND your connections can take the heat. If you confine it in a wiring harness or even wrap it with tape, it'll start a fire. That's why all blower resistors are built to go in the airstream, and are bare.?
Definitely! That's what I was suggesting when I said it might be "less convenient and safe" to mount a non-standard type in anyplace other than the original location. It's just way bigger than a standard heater version. But "could" be used if you did it carefully.

Quote:
Your ig. resistor is probably ceramic-cased, right?
Yep, just a standard resistor and looks like any other one you've seen for the last 50 years or so. May just be "updated" with heavier components. In the text, they seem to be claiming that it's "variable based on ambient temperature", if I'm reading their add-type correctly, but it seems to me that all resistors are temp-variable. Wouldn't they be?
I can send you the image and text from the catalog if you want to check it out or post it here for the others.

Paul
Old 08/22/09, 11:28 AM   #15
73stallion
BANNED

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post
Just wait 'till he starts talking calories then!

Paul
no i know how to count those, i just don't (enter guacamole bacon six dollar burger here).....

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives