Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 11/19/09, 12:29 AM   #1
SSDDBRONCO
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Nothin Like Livin In Cali

Los Angeles, Ca
eBay: Non

My Gallery
Garage
Best carb for my eb 302

Hey wats up everyone. I recently bought a 73 bronco and i am planning on buying a new carb. Im interested in the Holley Truck Avenger, but the thing im having a hard time is which one i should get the 470 cfm or the 670 cfm. My 302 is stock with Heddman headers, and a performer intake. Please your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11/19/09, 12:40 AM   #2
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
The 470 is fine really no more than a 600 cfm carb is fine for a stock 302. What carb do you have now?

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
Old 11/19/09, 12:46 AM   #3
SSDDBRONCO
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Nothin Like Livin In Cali

Los Angeles, Ca
eBay: Non

My Gallery
Garage
i currently have a 750 which i know is wayyy to big.
Old 11/19/09, 06:36 AM   #4
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
I have a little 500 CFM Edelbrock that I've really enjoyed. Just a bit of tuning with the metering rods and springs is all it takes to make these work well. If I do this again I may go to a Quadrajet. The advantages are a small single float bowl that reduces slosh on steep angles, and those teenie-weenie primary venturis that have more velocity. The only down side is that the Quad is taller because of the spread bore adapter plate needed.

'77. 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, Windsor Jr heads, 4bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon posi.
Vintage Air, Pioneer tunes, Toms seats.
All the comforts!
Old 11/19/09, 07:13 AM   #5
4G5

Broncos are not made for defeat. A Bronco can be destroyed but not defeated.

Newport News,VA

My Gallery
Whatever you do, stay under 600 cfm. I have had a lot of Edelbrocks over the years and they have never treated me wrong on the street. I have never ran the Holley TA but have heard mixed results out of them. I recently purchased a Holley 1850. Excellent carb. Remember that if you are mainly running on the street that Edelbrock is prob. your best bet. If you are doing minor offroading then I would say a basic Holley 600. Like I said before, if you are into some serious terrain maybe the TA would be best (that's what their designed for) but I have no experience with them and their expensive.

'69 Sport & '69 Half Cab
Old 11/19/09, 07:16 AM   #6
phred
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"can't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change"

atlanta
eBay: brizance
I like the edelbrock as well. I run it on my tow rig. I had a jet performance q-jet built for my eb. Love it. cost a bit over 400 bones but as built to match the specs on my engine. BCB sells them.
For the money on a stock engine I'd go with the edelbrock.
Old 11/19/09, 11:44 AM   #7
Z Bronco
Contributor

Bend
My 670TA is great off road, but still have not been able to get it dialed in for street. It bogs, sputters under load at higher RPMs, and the plugs when pulled look good. Still a work in progress. If your Bronco is mainly a street rig the Edelbrock would be a better choice. I miss my old Carter AFB on the street, but the Holley is way better off road.
Old 11/19/09, 12:05 PM   #8
carmi

Only The Paranoid Survive

Oroville
I would say go with the smaller 470cfm. You will get better offroad performance as the air velocity will be higher at lower rpm, giving you a better low end - mid end. Unless you plan on consistently running higher rpm (over 3000), the 470 will run much more efficient.
Old 11/20/09, 09:18 AM   #9
broncaholic

"Babe, I'll be done in 15 minutes..."

Clovis, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I have a little 500 CFM Edelbrock that I've really enjoyed. Just a bit of tuning with the metering rods and springs is all it takes to make these work well. If I do this again I may go to a Quadrajet. The advantages are a small single float bowl that reduces slosh on steep angles, and those teenie-weenie primary venturis that have more velocity. The only down side is that the Quad is taller because of the spread bore adapter plate needed.
Ditto. Ran an Edelbrock 500 CFM with a Edelbrock Performer intake for years. Also purchased the metering rod kit for higher altitudes and installed the Off-road float kit as well. Was real happy with the performance although I couldn't keep my foot out of it and averaged 13 mpg. I was also running an Edelbrock cam and pertronix ignition.
Old 11/20/09, 09:42 AM   #10
1970mule
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Shut your mouth when your talkin to me.

Lancaster

My Gallery
I have had both ethe 470TA and the 670TA, i can say that i did not notice much difference in the preformance. I have a mild 302 pretty much stock with headmans and a edelbrock intake manifold. when i had the 470 on i just could not get it dialed in, and it sputter on the take off and was ok when gasing it, just the stop and go sucked, it also was an earlier one so it was made crappy, when i called holley they said "OH, its to small for a 302 you need the 670" i said to them everything i ever heard says you should stay under 600cfm for a stock 302, anyway they let me swap it out for free even tho i lost my receipt. when i got the 670 i was able to tune it ok, but still had the same exact problems of the 470, i think it is just the mannerisms of that carb line you just can't tune them for street, i have not yet heard anyone that can, but off road its great, i took it up some pretty steep inclines no sputter and coming down no sputter in the lower gear high rpm range it works flawlessly. the pro about the 670 if you decide to beef up your 302 you are set on a carb.
Old 11/20/09, 10:01 AM   #11
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
another vote for the 470TA. i've had mine for a few years now and it does great on and off road. it had some good testing off road a few weeks ago and it didn't disappoint me at all. only konked out once doing a climb when i hit a big rut and the front end caught some air.
Old 11/20/09, 11:15 AM   #12
22213evl
Bronco Guru

I got two words for ya Ford Bronco

Rio Rancho N.M.
eBay: 22213evl

My Gallery
the 470ta will work for a 302 as long as your at or around sea level, once you get some altitude in there the lack of oxy makes going to the 670 a must. great carbs the 670 works great for me.

PICS OR YOUR LYIN.
77 sport! **hey I'm the same guy everywhere I go (sudden moment of clarity) damn-it
"He was a man of notoriusly vicious and intemperate disposition"
Old 11/20/09, 03:02 PM   #13
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22213evl View Post
the 470ta will work for a 302 as long as your at or around sea level, once you get some altitude in there the lack of oxy makes going to the 670 a must. great carbs the 670 works great for me.
You'll have to explain the elevation thing to me.

'77. 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, Windsor Jr heads, 4bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon posi.
Vintage Air, Pioneer tunes, Toms seats.
All the comforts!
Old 11/20/09, 04:28 PM   #14
br0nc0xrapt0r
Contributor
Loves pickles

Fueled by Hate, caffeine, and sometimes whiskey.

Kent City MI

My Gallery
engine displacement x max rpm divided by 3,456 = ideal cfm

so for a mild 302 with a few bolt on acc you would want an edelbrock 500cfm for tinker free no problem operation

if you want to play with it a bit more and get it tuned just right then the holley truck avenger 470 is what you want.

I am currently running an edelbrock 500 on my 302 and it works awesome, but I am switching to a holley TA 470 to get the optimum setup.

overcarbing a motor is one of the biggest problems that occur just to make my point I have a 78 bronco that had an edelbrock 750 on it and i ran like crap, I then took the 500 off the 302 and put it on the 78's 351 and it ran like a top.

SEMPER FIDELIS

69 Exxon Valdez, 37" locked front and rear, Daily driver.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163762

WTB pulley cover for 1959 Homelite 9-23
Old 11/20/09, 04:28 PM   #15
broncaholic

"Babe, I'll be done in 15 minutes..."

Clovis, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
You'll have to explain the elevation thing to me.
As you get higher in altitude, the air thins. This causes a carburated vehicle to run alot richer with fuel. You need to compensate this by changing out jets and or metering rods on most carburators.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives