Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 12/25/09, 10:52 AM   #1
Michael Homan

Broncos Rule!!!

Dayton,Ohio
1992 F250 sraight axle swap

Looking to maybe swap a straight axle into a 92 F250.

Is there anybody on here who has done anything like this or similar?

Donor axle is coming from a 1978 F250 Dana 44 8 lug with 4:10 gears(also have matching rear diff from same truck)

Thanks for any advise or help
Merry Xmas

Michael Homan
Broncos Rule!!!
Old 12/25/09, 10:55 AM   #2
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
eBay: ford_bill
Done a couple..getting ready to do another soon. But..not with the early D60 axle. All the ones I've done were using 'same vintage' F-350 D60s and those go straight bolt-in with zero hassle. The '79 D60 does not have the track bar mount either..and you do need that on the front-shackle late models.

'69 w/ Oz-408, T-18/NP-205, D44/ARB, D60 Detroit
39.5 IROK Radials/Champion Beadlocks
Hydroboost- F-250 dual-piston frt disk/ F-250 drum
Old 12/25/09, 11:04 AM   #3
Michael Homan

Broncos Rule!!!

Dayton,Ohio
have you done one with a Dana44 yet?

Michael Homan
Broncos Rule!!!
Old 12/25/09, 11:07 AM   #4
Michael Homan

Broncos Rule!!!

Dayton,Ohio
bmc69

Are you saying that a 92-96 F350 would be an easier swap?

Sorry have to finish my coffee and get the last bit of java going before my brain engaged!!!

I was just trying to use what was available to me for FREE or next to it!!

Michael Homan
Broncos Rule!!!
Old 12/25/09, 12:26 PM   #5
1sicbronconut
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Back to the Hills!

Rapid City

My Gallery
Yes find a Dana 60 out of a same vintage F350 pretty much a bolt in. Grab the steering parts and track bar mount from the donor also, might want the drive shaft also. If it were me I'd also do a shackle flip at the same time, really helps the ride quality. http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=162

Originally Posted by buildabronco.com
We have shared builds and post on our Facebook page that is bigger than any other Bronco vendor out there
Old 12/26/09, 06:18 AM   #6
gravy
Bronco Guru

Parsippany

My Gallery
Garage
78-79 have a 32in spring pad width and the 86-91 kingpin dana 60 and the 92-97 balljoint dana 60 have a wider width (34in) and will bolt right in but the 78/79 will not unless you rework the spring pads. 98 and newer superduty are even wider. I have done this swap many times and I would get the right axle if you can. The right axle will also have the track bar bracket on it ect.

Old 12/26/09, 08:38 AM   #7
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Homan View Post
bmc69

Are you saying that a 92-96 F350 would be an easier swap?

Sorry have to finish my coffee and get the last bit of java going before my brain engaged!!!

I was just trying to use what was available to me for FREE or next to it!!
Free??..you can get 800 bucks or more EASILY for a '79 D60; that's the hot lick for most EB and 78/79 FSB upgrades. As for your F-250 swap, I'm pretty sure you can use anything from 80s thourgh 90s, although in the early/mid 90s they stopped using king pins and live spindles and went to crap like ball joints and unit bearings.

To whoever asked about swapping a solid axle 44 in to a TTB F-250..never done it and would never consider it. Waste of time..literally zero 'upgrade' achieved in such a swap..and someone else alos noted the difference in spring perch locations..

Old 12/26/09, 04:30 PM   #8
Michael Homan

Broncos Rule!!!

Dayton,Ohio
maybe I'am wrong in thinking that the 1978 Donor F250 had a 44 in the front!

Could it be aDana60 in the front and a70 in the rear?

The 1978 F250 is the donor truck that I have that is FREE

1992-96 Ford F250 2wd truck is the truck I would like to swap into 4WD with donor parts

Michael Homan
Broncos Rule!!!
Old 12/26/09, 04:46 PM   #9
yfz450sew

I swapped a KP Dana 60 from a 91 F350 into my 96 F250 and like said it was a very easy bolt in swap. I also did the reverse shackle kit at the same time and I don't know why people say it rides better because it definitely does not unless you swap the stock springs out for lift springs maybe. It definitely turns way better and doesn't wear my tires funny anymore like the TTB did so it was definitely worth it imo, especially since I got the complete diff from the pick a part for $150 bones.
Old 12/27/09, 05:27 AM   #10
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Homan View Post
maybe I'am wrong in thinking that the 1978 Donor F250 had a 44 in the front!

Could it be aDana60 in the front and a70 in the rear?

The 1978 F250 is the donor truck that I have that is FREE

1992-96 Ford F250 2wd truck is the truck I would like to swap into 4WD with donor parts
OH my ..that is all very different indeed. First..most 78/79 F-250s were D44 front ends. But of course there were the D60 versions and those are the very desirable D60s for using in EB front 60 upgrades. You do need to figure out what you have in that '78; ball joints, its a 44. King pins, its a 60.

The 4x4 conversion is another matter. That's no small job by any stretch...so given all the work you will ahv to do regardless, what axle you use is probably the least of your concerns. You have cross member to fabiricate..you will need to find a tranny/t-case combo that matches the engine..drivesahfts..and a good deal of front-end fab work.

Old 12/27/09, 05:29 AM   #11
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz450sew View Post
I swapped a KP Dana 60 from a 91 F350 into my 96 F250 and like said it was a very easy bolt in swap. I also did the reverse shackle kit at the same time and I don't know why people say it rides better because it definitely does not .
I will never bother with reversing the shackles because it never made any sense to me why it would make one lick of ride difference..yr yet another who has confirmed that.

I'm getting ready tobolt a '90 D60 in to my '89 F-250..and its all because I'm sick and tired of the TTB wearng out tires and not being able to align it.

Old 12/27/09, 06:16 AM   #12
gravy
Bronco Guru

Parsippany

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc69 View Post
I will never bother with reversing the shackles because it never made any sense to me why it would make one lick of ride difference..yr yet another who has confirmed that.

I'm getting ready tobolt a '90 D60 in to my '89 F-250..and its all because I'm sick and tired of the TTB wearng out tires and not being able to align it.
I have also done many reverse shackle kits in these trucks and it does make them ride better- and my own 89 f250. By changing the geomotry to front to back movement of the shackle it allows it help obsorb the bumps as they hit the front side of the tires. In stock form it is constantly fighting against it self- the suspension is trying to cycle up and back slightly and the stock set up trys to move up and forward slightly. Ford changed it in 98 with the intro of the superduty. The shackle reversal also allows you to not have to run a track bar which is the way I ran my F250 on 44's. If you need any help with anything let me know. Dave

Old 12/27/09, 08:35 AM   #13
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy View Post
I have also done many reverse shackle kits in these trucks and it does make them ride better- and my own 89 f250. By changing the geomotry to front to back movement of the shackle it allows it help obsorb the bumps as they hit the front side of the tires. In stock form it is constantly fighting against it self- the suspension is trying to cycle up and back slightly and the stock set up trys to move up and forward slightly. Ford changed it in 98 with the intro of the superduty. The shackle reversal also allows you to not have to run a track bar which is the way I ran my F250 on 44's. If you need any help with anything let me know. Dave
LOL..if the 6" front springs on my F-250 actually flexed more than a 1/2" max then I could maybe see that logic. But they don't.

Good point about not needing the track bar with the shackles in teh rear though..you sure do need it when they are in front. That part I've proven to myself several times...

Old 12/27/09, 03:18 PM   #14
Michael Homan

Broncos Rule!!!

Dayton,Ohio
I should also state that the driveshfts,trans and transfercase are in my posession. I removed all drivetrain and motor from rusted out truck. Motor was trashed because of PO not checking oil level. Trans and transfercase are fine(C6 and 205) I have a small block bellhousing for the swap if I need to go that way for a motor,or can use a motor that will bolt up to existing bellhousing. I believe the 44 has ball joints but is freshly rebuilt with all need parts last year(this I know for sure because I help do it.) Only about 50 miles on rebuild of front end. 4:10 gears all the way around.

Have a 93 2wd F250 that I was wanting to use the body of. It has a 302 in it as of now,with aDana 60 rear(4:10 gears)

What would be the best route to go? I'am open to all options !!!!!
Looking to have something to haul EB on a trailer or go and get EB parts with!!!

Thanks

Michael Homan
Broncos Rule!!!
Old 12/27/09, 04:29 PM   #15
JIMS74

BRONCOS ARE A SICKNESS!!!

PORTSMOUTH, VA.

My Gallery
Check out FULLSIZEBRONCO.COM they have an entire section on SAS, alot of good info and pics.
Jim

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives