Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 01/25/10, 09:21 AM   #1
dmkcasey

1970 Bronco Alternator Wiring

I have just gotten my recently purchased 1970 bronco running after a few years of sitting around in someone's driveway, but I am having electrical problems. The problem appears to be a lack of charging from the alternator. I bench tested the alternator, and it appears to be fine.

The weird part is that the voltage regulator seesm to be mounted to the back of the alternator. The alternator is then wired directly to the starter selonoid hot post with one wire. Does this seem right? I think it is the stock style alternator because I compared it to one at the auto parts store - and it appears identical, except no voltage regulator mounted on the back.
Old 01/25/10, 09:30 AM   #2
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Welcome to the site.

Having the alternator output wired directly to the solenoid BAT+ post is typical of an upgraded alternator. The stock wiring has the output of the alternator going through a "loop" that taked it behind the dash to the ammeter, then back out to the BAT+ side of the solenoid. The 14 ga wire used in that loop is only good for the stock 55-60 amp output.

Some pictures of your alternator would help. Or you can take a look at the FordFuelInjection site. Ryan has pictures of the different alternators Ford used. See if you find one that looks familiar. http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=63

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
Old 01/25/10, 09:50 AM   #3
dmkcasey

Thanks for your help - I have been silently reading post after post on this site - all you guys are son knowledgable and have given me lots of insight transforming my bronco to what it is today.

I am ready to pull my hair out with this charging issue. I definitely have a 1G ford alternator, the first on in the link you sent me, with the regulator mounted to the back of the alternator. there is an "extra" orange wire sticking out the back of the regulator that does not connect to anything?? Does that need to be connected to instruct the alternator to begin to charge? I am trying to figure out how to post a picture - maybe that will help.
Old 01/25/10, 09:56 AM   #4
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkcasey View Post
Thanks for your help - I have been silently reading post after post on this site - all you guys are son knowledgable and have given me lots of insight transforming my bronco to what it is today.

I am ready to pull my hair out with this charging issue. I definitely have a 1G ford alternator, the first on in the link you sent me, with the regulator mounted to the back of the alternator. there is an "extra" orange wire sticking out the back of the regulator that does not connect to anything?? Does that need to be connected to instruct the alternator to begin to charge? I am trying to figure out how to post a picture - maybe that will help.
Here are the connections needed to make the 1G work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alt-reg.jpg (37.4 KB, 145 views)

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Old 01/25/10, 10:06 AM   #5
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Here's another link to the wiring for the alternator.
http://www.wsu.edu/~i6735189/68-71ign.gif

The alternator only has three connections. The output of the alternator, the Field connection and a ground. The orange wire should connect to the Field. Your 70 should not have a connection to the Stator terminal. That was used to power the electric choke.

To post pics, you either need to upload them to a hosting site, then put a link to the pic in this thread. Or, pony up $12/year and become a Contributor. Then you can post pics right in the thread. See one of the Sticky threads at the top of the Chat section.

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

Old 01/25/10, 11:33 AM   #6
dmkcasey

Thanks guys, i will gladly pony up the 12 bucks - the site has saved me 10 times that much already.

The problem I am still having is the voltage regulator is not the stock one mounted on the firewall, it is a small connection on the back of the alternator? Does the wiring diagram still apply?
Old 01/25/10, 11:40 AM   #7
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Quote:
The problem I am still having is the voltage regulator is not the stock one mounted on the firewall, it is a small connection on the back of the alternator? Does the wiring diagram still apply?
Dunno about the other guys, but it would be tough to say how the regulator gets wired up if we don't know what regulator it is. Are there any numbers on it?

Old 01/25/10, 05:10 PM   #8
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
So you're saying it doesn't even look like a stock one then? Even if it's bolted to the back, it is likely to have the same connections. And the alternator itself will usually have the same posts/wires connected no matter where the regulator is.
Is the regulator plastic? Metal? Smooth? Finned with a round diode sticking out of the middle?

Paul
Old 01/25/10, 05:19 PM   #9
dmkcasey

Paul - it looks very similar to the stock one, but probably a quarter of the size - the connections are hidden between the alternator and the Voltage regulator, so I will have to take it off to see what the connections are.
Old 01/25/10, 05:24 PM   #10
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Yeah, probably worth the trouble though. If not only to verify what it is, but to check the alternator and it's connections AND the condition of the wires.
I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it being direct-mounted (after all, new ones have the regulator inside the alternator), but it sounds a bit awkward.
Let us know what you find. As mentioned though, the Orange filed wire should be from the "F" terminal on the regulator (if it's marked) to the "F" or "FLD" terminal on the alternator.
That's the wire that lets the regulator tell the alternator how when and how much to charge.

Paul
Old 01/25/10, 06:29 PM   #11
dmkcasey

SO I finally got home ad took my alternator out and found out it has a regulator on it that converts it to a one wire system?

http://search.waiglobal.com/partsear...spx?part=F7078
Old 01/25/10, 06:36 PM   #12
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
SO I finally got home ad took my alternator out and found out it has a regulator on it that converts it to a one wire system?

http://search.waiglobal.com/partsear...spx?part=F7078
Get rid of the converter and get a real voltage regulator. Wire it up just like the diagram above. Better yet, get a 3G alternator and forget the regulator.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
Old 01/25/10, 06:40 PM   #13
dmkcasey

Thats what I thought viperwolf - Thanks for all the info - I have read a bunch of posts from you regarding electrical issues. What do you recommend if I step up to a 3g?
Old 01/25/10, 06:51 PM   #14
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Thats what I thought viperwolf - Thanks for all the info - I have read a bunch of posts from you regarding electrical issues. What do you recommend if I step up to a 3g?
Yes. Get a 3G. You already have the correct wiring going to the old alternator. You'll have to search for the application or maybe someone will chime in with that info. I'm using a 4G.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives