Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 04/08/10, 11:12 AM   #1
Heus33
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

You down with HID? Yeah you know me!

Buffalo, NY

My Gallery
How to install a one wire 3G Alternator

I've waded through a lot of posts and had a lot of questions on how to wire my alternator. Its WAY easier that I thought it would be - here's my experience on my 76 351W.

Purchased a 105A 1 wire alternator from quality power (http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=17). Make sure you get the correct pulley (I needed a serpentine pulley).

You'll also need some 4ga wire (I used long battery cable wire from the local parts store), a 175a mega fuse and a fuse holder.

Disconnect your batteyr and remove the old alternator. You can also remove the voltage regulator and associated wiring. See first pic for the "stuff" that I removed.

Next, wire up your fuse to the positive side of your starter solenoid, then run that wire to the red post on the alternator.

Don't forget to cut the old harness (pic 2) and run the black/yellow wire to the positive side of the starter solenoid so you retain power to your fuse panel. Pics three and four shows how I wired my setup. The other wires from the harness are not used and can be taped off. ** You will lose the use of your ammeter with this setup **

Thats it. Hook up your belts and you're good to go. Way easier that I thought it would be. Should take about 30-45 min if everything goes as planned. Might be a good idea to replace your old worn out battery cables as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg items removed.jpg (156.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Old wire harness.jpg (127.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg fender wire mount.jpg (159.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg fender wire mount 2.jpg (158.8 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg front of alt.jpg (144.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg back of alt.jpg (114.0 KB, 298 views)

Old 04/08/10, 11:25 AM   #2
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heus33 View Post
Don't forget to cut the old harness (pic 2) and run the black/yellow wire to the positive side of the starter solenoid so you retain power to your fuse panel.
You should really have a fusible link between this wire and the solenoid. If the old black-red wire is still in place on the solenoid it may have the fusible link still. If that's the case the black-yellow wire can be eliminated or you can connect it to the black-red wire on the firewall side of the existing fusible link.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Old 04/08/10, 12:14 PM   #3
Heus33
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

You down with HID? Yeah you know me!

Buffalo, NY

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperwolf1 View Post
You should really have a fusible link between this wire and the solenoid. If the old black-red wire is still in place on the solenoid it may have the fusible link still. If that's the case the black-yellow wire can be eliminated or you can connect it to the black-red wire on the firewall side of the existing fusible link.
Interesting - why? There was never a fusible link there before. If one is needed, any recommended fuse size?

Old 04/08/10, 12:36 PM   #4
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
There should have been a 16 gauge one at the end of the black-red wire which in reality is the other end of the black-yellow wire. Think of it as a master fuse for everything inside the cab. The fusebox takes care of the most of the circuit protection but there is no protection for most of the underdash wiring without the fusible link. It's good insurance.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
Old 04/08/10, 12:59 PM   #5
JakeAlex

North Ms

My Gallery
Don't beat me up too bad but what are the main reasons for upgrading to a 3g? I've see a few threads in my short time at cb but never really paid much attention.

1974 U15 Explorer - Cut, PS, Front DB, hydroboost, Duff's 3.5 lift, 2" WH BL, 36 Irocs, 31 spline Yukon's, 4.88's, Yukon Griz lockers F/R, 6 pt Cage.
Old 04/08/10, 01:20 PM   #6
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeAlex View Post
Don't beat me up too bad but what are the main reasons for upgrading to a 3g? I've see a few threads in my short time at cb but never really paid much attention.
More current to run accessories, gets rid of external regulator and excess wiring, keeps voltage high at idle speeds to prevent dimming of lights.

Old 04/09/10, 04:30 AM   #7
stock1970
Bronco Guru

Olathe, Kansas

My Gallery
devils advocate, on the other hand if the voltage regulator goes bad you half to replace the alternator with the 3g .. but old school you only replace the reg.

1970, 302, 3 on tree, drum brakes, no power anything, original engine trans ect., 62k miles and 1976, 351w, c4, 3.5 sl, 2inch bl, pwr st and brakes, 35 mtz's, twin sticks, arb front and rear, 4.88s, 31 spline yukon,
Old 05/31/10, 03:06 PM   #8
jmhend
Bronco Guru

Bethlehem, PA

My Gallery
going to the pull a part this weekend anyone know of a donor vehicle?
Old 05/31/10, 06:54 PM   #9
RRRAAAYYY2
Bronco Guru

Electrical Tech

Brantford, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1970 View Post
devils advocate, on the other hand if the voltage regulator goes bad you half to replace the alternator with the 3g .. but old school you only replace the reg.
Four Torx bolts on the back of the laternator and the brushes and regulator come off the 3G. Rebuilt 1000's of them, almost always reused the regulators as they are near bullet proof.

Builder of Whispering Lightning, the World's Fastest 24volt powered motorcycle. Dinosaurs made gas, and those still using it are living in the Stone Ages.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives