Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 04/30/10, 01:07 AM   #31
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
I've got a 4.0 in my 03 ranger with 4.11 gears and 30 in tires gets about 21 mpg on the hiway. Its rated at about 210 hp. But is no wheres near as torquey as my bronco. Doubt it would see any mileage improvement once planted in the bronco. I currently get 17mpg with the bronco.
Most of the small engines need to rev to make there big power numbers. They make good power for a light weight car but stick one in a heavy bronco wind resistant and the power is gone unless your on the pedal where they wont see and good mileage numbers.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
Old 04/30/10, 01:19 AM   #32
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalmer View Post
Yup, I am running a stock 5.3L out of an '02 Suburban, weight is close to 5k, lifted way up there, & still rock over 20MPG on the freeway with around 375HP on tap. Flame suit on as usual guys.
I'll flame you how is a 375hp 5.3L stock? maybe 275-320hp but not 375.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
Old 04/30/10, 05:43 AM   #33
2kuwl

Wisconsin
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratch View Post
Ford is putting an ecoboost v6 in the 2011 mustang, 3.8 or 3.9L 305h.p., supposed to get 30 mpg.
Hmm.. I wonder how hard it would be to wire.....
Here is an article where they put one in a 34 Ford. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...rod-auto_shows

I'm sure it isn't cheap, but it sounds like it would be the perfect daily driver engine.
Old 04/30/10, 07:01 AM   #34
Devin
Bronco Kineticist

"If the system had one neck, you know I would gladly break it."

Atomic City
eBay: 69broncnm

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by red71sport View Post
What? better mileage out of a Bronco. Carful now, I think it's law in most states that every single part of owning a Bronco HAS to be expensive. Even @ 10MPG, it's still a Bronco, and still LOOKS better than anything else on the road. Build the yota conversion, and post a lot of pics. If it's cool let us know.

Devin,
I don't know you, but I just spend 5 min. starring at you engine. Nice!

What is the scuba tank looking thing in the bottom left corner? Nitrous tank?
Thanks for the comments. The tank is for my on board air setup.

"I would rather have you hate me for everything that I am then ever have you love me for something that I'm not." - FFDP
Old 04/30/10, 07:58 AM   #35
jpalmer

MUD IS MY LOCTITE

Boise, ID

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncnaz View Post
I'll flame you how is a 375hp 5.3L stock? maybe 275-320hp but not 375.
No problem, glad to explain, probably a mis-understanding of what "stock" means to me. Stock 5.3L Flex Fuel (bigger injectors) is 315HP, I have all emissions removed, intake, headers, exhaust, & a custom tune. That is still a stock motor to me.

'67 - LSx/NV4500/NP241, full widths, 4.10s & ARBs, 37" M-16s on 17x9s, M8000, 3.5" sl, 2" bl, ext. arms, 1 ton steering w/ TRO, fully Rhino-lined, hboost, DP dash w/ Autometers, custom bumpers, family cage, WCBRC PS, projectors, LED tails, more.
Old 04/30/10, 08:16 AM   #36
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
Well then its not exactly stock now is it? Even if you consider it stock its not.

Old 04/30/10, 08:38 AM   #37
sstlaure
Contributor
Bronco Slacker

Accepting donations for my Bronco project

Milford, MI

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratch View Post
Ford is putting an ecoboost v6 in the 2011 mustang, 3.8 or 3.9L 305h.p., supposed to get 30 mpg.
Hmm.. I wonder how hard it would be to wire.....
That engine isn't boosted - It's naturally aspirated. The new V6 for the Mustang is awesome. 300hp and rated at 31mpg highway.

I picked up a commuter car - 2002 Focus SVT - on the highway I'm getting 32-34mpg, city is around 27-29mpg. Only cost me $6400 and it's a fun little ride perfect for driving to/from work. (I drive ~24,000/year)

I'd rather keep the Bronco fun than efficient.

74 EB Sandrunner, DOHC 32V 4.6L SC Cobra Engine, C4, King bypasses/coilovers, Glass body WCB fenders/bodysides, 3-seater, 4.0" susp lift (custom), Built not bought. Check out my build thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...=47631&page=23
Old 04/30/10, 08:40 AM   #38
sstlaure
Contributor
Bronco Slacker

Accepting donations for my Bronco project

Milford, MI

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kuwl View Post
Here is an article where they put one in a 34 Ford. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...rod-auto_shows

I'm sure it isn't cheap, but it sounds like it would be the perfect daily driver engine.
That's the Ecoboost motor from the Taurus SHO (365hp) It gets around 23mpg highway in a Taurus.

74 EB Sandrunner, DOHC 32V 4.6L SC Cobra Engine, C4, King bypasses/coilovers, Glass body WCB fenders/bodysides, 3-seater, 4.0" susp lift (custom), Built not bought. Check out my build thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...=47631&page=23
Old 04/30/10, 08:47 AM   #39
t.lay
Bronco Guru

Grayslake, IL
Cost of the conversion would come into play but how about a 3.0 powerstroke diesel? They're in the brazilian rangers (international motor here). Probably easier and definitely cheaper to get your hands on a 4bt. There's also the liberty turbo diesel and the mercedes greasers too. My guess is that you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of the conversion. If you really want to save gas, get a weekday commuter - little old honda or similar - pick it up for 1000 - gets about 45 mpg and don't worry about the EB. On a 100 mile weekly commute - at 12 mpg you will use 417 gallons of fuel or about $1250. At 45 mpg you'll use about 111 gals or $333 ($3/gal). I've got a 40 mile daily commute - it doesn't take long for a commuter/beater car to pay for itself.

Last edited by t.lay; 04/30/10 at 09:05 AM..

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm all day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Old 04/30/10, 01:26 PM   #40
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
I don't think you can just pull a motor out of a more efficient car, transplant it in a Bronco, and expect it to have anywhere near the mileage of the doner. Weight and aerodynamics kill the mileage. Also, the Bronco drivetrain is made for a lot of abuse but has too much drag to be economical. Just compare the difference in size of Ford 9" bearings and gears to those from a late model 1/2ton pickup. The old parts are huge and have a lot more drag.

'77. 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, Windsor Jr heads, 4bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon posi.
Vintage Air, Pioneer tunes, Toms seats.
All the comforts!
Old 05/15/10, 08:32 PM   #41
HoosierDaddy
Contributor
Skinny Pedal Junky

Semper Fi , Devildog!

N.W. Indiana

My Gallery
Garage
Bottom line , get a Volkswagen TDI.
I tend to believe , from all that I have read here and from plenty of other sources over the years , our current motors are about peaked as far as making them efficent.
So ... build the motor to deliver a smooth torque curve and be as efficent as possible ( properly sized and designed headers, heads , intakes , cam , gears , short & skinny tires , no lift ...etc ) put your Mustang EFI on top , and you are pretty much at the top of what a gas motor will do for economy ... and you will probably still be under or just at 20 MPG in most cases.
Switch to a diesel and things start looking better , especially when you start running numbers like TLay and I do , 40 miles each way daily. But still a far cry from the 30 - 40 - 45 mpg numbers modern diesels encased in slippery silohettes are getting.

No matter what , fuel efficency is going to be tied to aerodynamics in a big way with these broncos.

If you REALLY want to get technical , there is an incredible post here , written by (iirc) an aerospace engineer or something like that. Tons of math and other solid info. that pretty lays it out that the number one thing we can do to increase fuel efficency is decrease the Broncos coefficent of friction.
In which case , you no longer have a boxy old truck , so you might as well pony up for the used VW TDI.
Found a short version : http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...nt+drag&page=2

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 05/15/10 at 08:46 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmagnet63 View Post
It must suck not to own a Bronco.
Not enough time, lift ,tires or money.
69 street rig - Exploder EFI - NV3550 coming soon (Thanks Dr.B !)
68 trail beater - 351w - NP435 - D20 - Dana 60's f&r42's - locker(f) and spooled (r) - much bondo
Old 05/16/10, 07:04 PM   #42
Dave
Contributor
Bronco Guru

My Gallery
IMO aerodynamic drag of the EB has been somewhat overstated. Its definitly not a showpiece of aerodynamic efficiency but when you compare it with many other vehicles such as the CJs etc, its not that much more of a box than many vehicles getting in the high teens and low 20s. I'm not saying that the EB will ever be a good candidate for a high speed daily driver but much of the pain seems to be comming fron guys getting 8 to 10 mpg. I put about 100K on a stock 73 Bronco (302 - C4) back in the 70s and got about 16 mpg on the highway. Also keep in mind that if you are seeing lousy milage on the trails and around town (below 40 mph), aerodynamic drag is not the culprit. Attention to weight and a smartly designed power train can go a long way toward less pain at the pump. I'm hoping to see about 18 mpg at 55-60 on my 70 conversion.
Old 05/16/10, 07:36 PM   #43
mavereq
Bronco Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncnaz View Post
Well then its not exactly stock now is it? Even if you consider it stock its not.
the longblock is stock and he isn't throwing boost or nitrous at it. i wouldn't call him a liar for calling it stock.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives