• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tranny fluid leacking around neutral safety switch?

buckn74

Loc.
Monroe, WA
It was leaking before, but today i drained the tranny fluid and replaced the filter. No leaks out the pan but it still leaks around the neutral safety switch why? If i can fix this one ill have all my leaks fixed.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is a seal (Napa ATP 1404) around the shift shaft but you need to open it up to change it. There is also a special o-ring (Napa ATP 12069) between the shift shaft and the kickdown shaft that can be changed from the outside.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I just replaced that seal last weekend, nothing to it! and when you where replacing your filter and pan gasket it would have been a perfect time.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
There is a seal (Napa ATP 1404) around the shift shaft but you need to open it up to change it. There is also a special o-ring (Napa ATP 12069) between the shift shaft and the kickdown shaft that can be changed from the outside.

That special O ring is actually a quad ring... it has square edges. I had my transission rebuilt a while back and they put an O ring in it... it leaked like crazy. I went to several shops that wanted to replace the O ring with another O ring. A guy on here sent me the correct quad ring in the mail and that stopped the leak.

SO... make sure someone doesnt just put a regular O ring in there.

Greg

RangerRob

Are the part numbers that Viperwolf1 posted above the correct (quad ring as Greg_B stated) numbers for the good seals? I need to do this too and want to make sure I am ordering the correct parts.

Rob

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Are the part numbers that Viperwolf1 posted above the correct (quad ring as Greg_B stated) numbers for the good seals? I need to do this too and want to make sure I am ordering the correct parts.

Rob

That is the part numbers for the shifter main shaft to case seal.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Rob

Those are the numbers Napa shows for those parts. I've ordered that seal and I know it's correct. I have not ordered that o-ring but it's only about $1.

OP
OP
buckn74

buckn74

Loc.
Monroe, WA
well

Well i called the local tranny shop and he asked if i disconnected my kick down linkage. Which i did, ive always liked shifting myself. well i soon learned the lower part of the linkage needs to be there to hold pressure on the o-ring to keep it from leaking. So i put it back on and went from a big leak to a couple drops.