Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 07/05/10, 09:40 PM   #1
behemoth
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Diego

My Gallery
stock oil pressure sender.

All,
What is the resistance range of the stock oil pressure sending unit on the bronco? Also is there a smaller unit with the magic range that can be used instead of the stock unit?

I have a 96 explorer engine with a custom oil filter relocator and I am unable to use the stock one or the mustang extension/angle thing.

I forgot the stock explorer one on the engine and built around it, a yeah stupid but its done.

I also wish to use the stock gauge at this time as well.

Thanks

Bill

1972 Bright Lime Sport. 93 5.0 EFI, 89 AOD, 4:56 gears, ARB front, Detroit Rear. BC Broncos 5.5 lift, 1" body lift, WCB extended arms. Lots of stuff and no where near done.
behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/10, 10:03 PM   #2
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
I was just thinking of asking nearly the same question but for a completely different use.
My question would have expanded a little to ask if anyone has a good reference sounce for pressure sending units (pressure vs. resistance). I was thinking of reworking the stock oil pressure gauge into an on board air pressure gauge but I want to expand the scale (make new markings).

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/10, 11:21 PM   #3
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
Oil pressure senders should read 24-36 ohms of resistance at 8 psi or less and 8.0 to 17.5 ohms at 90 psi (gauged maxed out).
I've never seen a smaller sending unit that would work although I really havent looked. You may endup having to connect a sending unit to a hose.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
broncnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/10, 12:11 AM   #4
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
The oil pressure sender has the same resistance range as the fuel sender and temp sender, 10 ohms at full scale and about 75 ohms at low scale. Mid scale is 23 ohms. The gauge itself has 10-14 ohms of resistance.

I was looking for a different value temp sender recently as I was thinking about making a master warning light circuit. One bright LED bulb that would light up if temp got too high or oil or fuel got too low. I didn't find anything that really fit what I needed.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Viperwolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/10, 12:20 AM   #5
oleguy74
Contributor
Bronco Guru

calif city ca
behemoth!!! I sent you info on socal eairler.you might get an E-mail too.did not know you were on here too.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/10, 07:44 AM   #6
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
eBay: untod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperwolf1 View Post
...I was thinking about making a master warning light circuit.
Ford already built it.

But it's designed for the later EFI fuel level input. So you could use it as a temperature & oil pressure warning without much effort, but not low fuel.

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/10, 11:47 AM   #7
behemoth
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Diego

My Gallery
in looking around for some other options there is one by picture that summit sells that looks smaller and should fit fine. Will see tomorrow if it is correct or not. I figure I will run a soft line to the sender and it should be out of the way if the summit one is not smaller.

1972 Bright Lime Sport. 93 5.0 EFI, 89 AOD, 4:56 gears, ARB front, Detroit Rear. BC Broncos 5.5 lift, 1" body lift, WCB extended arms. Lots of stuff and no where near done.
Old 07/06/10, 11:55 AM   #8
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Post up some pictures when you get it behemoth. Be curious to see not only the new unit, but also your setup and what you've got in the way.
We just did it with an explorer serp setup, but had no issue with the stock tube turned to angle slightly more forward to clear the bracket.
Just using a stock oil filter in this case however, so that wasn't an issue.

Good luck. If all else fails, the tube method might be a good option. I've done it on other engines in the past when a smaller (light type) sender was replaced with a larger (gauge type) sender.

Paul
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/10, 08:54 PM   #9
behemoth
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Diego

My Gallery
The engine is in my other bronco that has an addtional crossmember and rack and pinion steering. The engine came used with a po built oil filter relocator. I just chose to use it as the steeringlines and other stuff was in the way.

The issue is with lines off of the block, I will look at turning it more and moving the lines out of the way.

The smaller oil pressure sender if it is actually what the picture was should work fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03233 (Medium).JPG (56.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03236 (Medium).JPG (53.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03237 (Medium).JPG (58.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03238 (Medium).JPG (59.8 KB, 39 views)

Old 07/07/10, 12:53 PM   #10
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
From the looks of it you might be able to get away with a 45° street elbow screwed into the block to reangle the sending unit. Ace hardware generally will carry them when the big boy home centers don't. Think of it as a stubby version of the long stock unit. probably will have to clock it a little to get the sending unit to fill in the spot.

Old 07/07/10, 01:03 PM   #11
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobowsher View Post
From the looks of it you might be able to get away with a 45° street elbow screwed into the block to reangle the sending unit.
The hole in the block and the stock sending unit are both 1/4"NPT. I had the stock sending unit and an oil pressure safety switch mounted in that location. Use a 2" nipple to a tee, with the sending unit off the side of the tee, and a street elbow out of the end of the tee to mount the switch.

Just determine where the sending unit will fit, then what fittings you need to get it there! I'm getting ready to remount my sending unit, and instead of using the stock extension, I'm probalby going to use that same 2" nipple and a 45°!

Last edited by 70_Steve; 07/07/10 at 01:23 PM..

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
70_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/10, 04:22 PM   #12
behemoth
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Diego

My Gallery
According to the summit racing page the oil pressure sender smp-sp149 is for a ford bronco with a 289 and the 302, as well as some other newer cars. It is also much smaller than the stock one that I had on the engine originally. Its size is closer to the explorer one and this should work perfectly with no mods or addapters.

Old 07/07/10, 11:12 PM   #13
oleguy74
Contributor
Bronco Guru

calif city ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70_Steve View Post
The hole in the block and the stock sending unit are both 1/4"NPT. I had the stock sending unit and an oil pressure safety switch mounted in that location. Use a 2" nipple to a tee, with the sending unit off the side of the tee, and a street elbow out of the end of the tee to mount the switch.

Just determine where the sending unit will fit, then what fittings you need to get it there! I'm getting ready to remount my sending unit, and instead of using the stock extension, I'm probalby going to use that same 2" nipple and a 45°!
thats what i have.might have a 3"nipple though.put in there in 79 when i broke the stock one putting 351 in.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/10, 08:36 AM   #14
behemoth
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Diego

My Gallery
Well the ps149 smaller sender from summit which in their application section says it is for the early bronco with a 289 and 302 appears to be a light sender. The gauge pegs as soon as the key is turned. So back to the smaller adapter fittings I guess.

Old 07/10/10, 09:03 AM   #15
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth View Post
Well the ps149 smaller sender from summit which in their application section says it is for the early bronco with a 289 and 302 appears to be a light sender. The gauge pegs as soon as the key is turned. So back to the smaller adapter fittings I guess.
Must be using the same interchange books the parts stores use but forget to ask if it is a gauge or a light.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech