Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 07/11/10, 07:53 PM   #1
SWFLABRONCO

Cape Coral, Fl

My Gallery
C4 and Dana 20 leaks

Finally got the Bronco mechanically sound enough to put it through it's paces before getting it on the road full time. Problem is, when i bring it back in the garage from the ol neighborhood street trials, it'll leave pretty good puddles of gear oil and transmission fluid on the garage floor. I've cleaned the fluids from underneath it after i park it and let it sit 5-10 minutes and it absolutely doesn't leak when it's parked, only immediately after a run. Could the fluid levels be to high and it's expelling the extra? I'm running a Lokar fill tube for the C4 so I don't know if it's the most accurate. Just wondering if this is normal and whether or not I need to drain some fluids or let it happen naturally.There is no real vissble point of where the leaks start except for it coming from the "top" somewhere. Sorry this is long winded.
Old 07/11/10, 11:56 PM   #2
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Check the fluid level in the transfer case. If a whole lot of oil comes just a gushing out of the transfer case fill hole, chances are you need to replace the double lipped seal in the transfer case adapter. What happens is the leaky seal lets the transmission leak into the transfer case. The transfer case gets so full , it overflows onto the floor.

'77, 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, 4 bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon rear posi.
Old 07/12/10, 07:42 AM   #3
SWFLABRONCO

Cape Coral, Fl

My Gallery
I thought about that and that seal was replaced during the rebuild. The puddles are also seperate gear oil and tranny fluid leaks. The two aren't mixed together like they would be if the tranny was leaking back into the tc. I'll check the fluid level on the tc to be on the safe side though.
Old 07/12/10, 08:42 AM   #4
Justafordguy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tallahassee

My Gallery
Garage
A C4 will leak out of the top if it is over filled. I'm not sure how you would over fill a D20 unless you added an elbow to the filler hole. I have seen people do this but I'm not sure why.

77 Bronco, 302, C4, PS, PB, A/C, 33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right, 9"/Grizzly locker.

2012 Raptor 6.2L 35" BFG KM2s
2005 F250 FX4 CC 6.0
2013 Edge
2 Mustangs
Old 07/12/10, 09:18 AM   #5
ep67bro
Contributor
Bronco Junky

I used to have time!

EasternShore, MD

My Gallery
Garage
Good luck getting the C4 to stop leaking!!! I had my wifes rebuilt and it still leaks, I have had three differant C4s and all of them have leaked!!!!! Check around the shift linkage a few of mine have leaked from there. And as said sounds like they may be a little over full!

67, 289, NP-435, 3.5 lift,1"BL, 33s,custom bumpers, work always in progress, MPB "multi purpose bronco". Wifes 73, 302, c4, 2,5" lift 33s driver, 1996 Fullsize with 4" lift 33s" 5.0
Old 07/12/10, 09:26 AM   #6
SWFLABRONCO

Cape Coral, Fl

My Gallery
No elbow on the 20. I'm hoping they are overfull. Both units were completely gone through and rebuilt prior to installing them. I'll drive it for a while and continue to watch what I lose compared to the remaining fluid levels. My hope is that with use, the leaks lessen. I can live with a few drips here or there but the puddles seem a little excessive at the moment.
Old 07/12/10, 02:44 PM   #7
ddm156

York PA
I am having the same issue right now - my dilemma is I don't know whether to put my money into trying to fix the leaks on the trans or buy a radio and some speakers. I took mine to an ammco in town and they recommend a complete reseal for my transmission, which will come in around $1000. I definitely do have a leak from my shift linkage, which I've tried fixing several times with different size o-rings with no success. I feel your pain. Its pretty embarrassing to have your truck burp oil all over somebodys driveway, especially after we sink all of this time and money into them. I think I might just keep researching and consider resealing myself over the winter.
Old 07/12/10, 02:49 PM   #8
SWFLABRONCO

Cape Coral, Fl

My Gallery
ddm156,
does yours leak continuously or just immediately after running it?
Old 07/12/10, 03:17 PM   #9
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm156 View Post
I am having the same issue right now - my dilemma is I don't know whether to put my money into trying to fix the leaks on the trans or buy a radio and some speakers. I took mine to an ammco in town and they recommend a complete reseal for my transmission, which will come in around $1000. I definitely do have a leak from my shift linkage, which I've tried fixing several times with different size o-rings with no success. I feel your pain. Its pretty embarrassing to have your truck burp oil all over somebodys driveway, especially after we sink all of this time and money into them. I think I might just keep researching and consider resealing myself over the winter.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164443

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Old 07/12/10, 03:57 PM   #10
SWFLABRONCO

Cape Coral, Fl

My Gallery
Thanks Viperwolf,
I thought of this thread and actually looked to see if that was where it was coming from. It didn't appear that it was, but I'll take a better look at it tonight.
Old 07/12/10, 07:21 PM   #11
ddm156

York PA
I just drip a little after running (from more than one spot) once it cools down it holds the fluid. Did you install all of your seals and let the truck sit a while? I've heard that sometimes that is a bad thing, the seals sit dry too long and crack.

thanks x2 viperwolf, that will come in handy. I have my kickdown removed, so maybe thats part of my problem at the nss.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives