Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 03/07/11, 02:43 PM   #1
airbur
Bronco Guru

Castle Pines, CO
What size fuel line?

I'd like to replace the OEM fuel line (main tank > aux tank > selector valve > pump) with some braided hose. What inside diameter size hose would work for this? Or in other words, which -AN size?

Stock tanks, valves, connectors etc.

Thanks.

1970 w/427W Injected Stroker
airbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/11, 02:49 PM   #2
NYLES
Contributor
Bronco Guru

YOU WANNA WHAT?

FREE RUN, MS

My Gallery
Garage
5/16 is enough

'69, 306 EFI'ed, ZF, DANA 44, 4 WHEEL DISC'S, ASTROBOOST, 3.5"SUSPENSION LIFT, 2"BODY LIFT, GLASS BODY, 37" ON MRW, 5.13's GRZZ/GRIZZ , MOSER, STONE CRUSHER, POWER STEERING, BAILIE BILT, DURABACK, RJM
NYLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/11, 02:54 PM   #3
airbur
Bronco Guru

Castle Pines, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLES View Post
5/16 is enough
Thanks. So I'm trying to piece together what I would need to do this. Do I need to use any of the special connectors out there for this type of hose or can I simply use it plus regular hose clamps?

Old 03/07/11, 03:04 PM   #4
TBS-POPS
Bronco Guru

ALL my drinking buddies have a severe bronco problem!!

valley springs, ca

My Gallery
Dont waste your money on braided stainless unless you have money to burn. Yeah it looks bitchen but it rots just like any other rubber line but you cant see it through the braided stuff. Your really better off getting steel or alum hard line and putting reg fuel line short pieces on the ends with clamps. I have replaced alot of an line in my time.

To answer your question if you so chose to go that way, they make ends with clamps in them for the cheap way to put braided stainless on. check summit racing on line or any other dist you chose. -6 line is 3/8, -4 line is 1/4 and to small.

WWW.NORCALBRONCOS.COM 72, TBI 302, 435,20,FW44&9,4.56 w/pl&arb,2" & 5.5" on 37's.SOLD Broncoless for now
Broncos are like BOOBS, There always better after they've been worked on..
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/11, 03:30 PM   #5
airbur
Bronco Guru

Castle Pines, CO
I am actually thinking the braided stainless may help with the vapor lock issues I've been having. The Bronco starts up fine when cold, but then really has to crank over when its warm. Completely opening the throttle at that point gets it started and that why I'm thinking it's vapor lock. The fuel line out of the main tank runs very near the exhaust pipe. Wouldn't the braided stainless help keep the heat out?

Old 03/07/11, 03:34 PM   #6
RIbronco

In a constant state of fix

Costa Mesa, CA
If you have a heat issue it would be better to add a heat shield or insulation to the area effected.

Rust is just a form of weight reduction....right?
RIbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/11, 03:58 PM   #7
bknbronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

BRONCO ENVY.....Its a Jeep thing!

North Metro, MN
Quote:
The fuel line out of the main tank runs very near the exhaust pipe.
Another reason not to run dual exhaust! Once the braided line is hot it will stay hot and not help your problem. Might make it worse! Im running 5/16 nylon line for less than 20 bucks! Why not just add a exhaust shield at the area where the exhaust comes near the fuel line?
bknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/11, 04:47 PM   #8
canrel

learning to wheel

Bakersfield Ca.
If you have to hold the throttle open to get it to start, you may have a flooding problem.
Mine used to boil the fuel in the carb after I ran it for a while and shut it off.
Put a "heat" isolter, spacer, between the carb and intake and fixed it.
Drive it till warm, park where you can let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then pull the top off the carb and see if the bowl is full. Mine wasn't.
canrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/11, 06:13 AM   #9
airbur
Bronco Guru

Castle Pines, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bknbronco View Post
Another reason not to run dual exhaust! Once the braided line is hot it will stay hot and not help your problem. Might make it worse! Im running 5/16 nylon line for less than 20 bucks! Why not just add a exhaust shield at the area where the exhaust comes near the fuel line?
Sounds like the best way to go.

What is the point of using the 5/16 nylon line for the longer runs, and then using the regular fuel line (hose) for the connections? Why not just use that for the whole run?

Old 03/08/11, 07:24 AM   #10
turbotim2
Bronco Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbur View Post
Sounds like the best way to go.

What is the point of using the 5/16 nylon line for the longer runs, and then using the regular fuel line (hose) for the connections? Why not just use that for the whole run?
I think because the nylon is stiffer and won't sag between hangers like rubber line will. Mine came stock with nylon from the rear tank to the switch, and steel line from the switch to the fuel pump. It doesn't sound like vapor lock in your description, like the others said.

77 Bronco without fuel doors.
turbotim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/11, 07:46 AM   #11
airbur
Bronco Guru

Castle Pines, CO
Yea...I noticed that the nylon that's in there now is actually bent around one of the corners. That is probably restricting the flow. I think will replace with new nylon and just use a heat shield around the line near the exhaust.

Thanks!

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech