Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 03/16/11, 01:50 AM   #1
taipeichris
Bronco Guru

"Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness & some men drive Broncos"

Los Angeles, CA

My Gallery
Cool How far does a CB radio reach?

Hi Guys,

So I've never used a CB before and would like to ask you for some basic advice.

So here are my questions:

1. How far of a distance does a CB work from?
2. What brands are good OR what brands should I stay away from?
3. Does size matter? I'm referring to the antenna!
4. Hand held CBs or in dash?

After the disaster in Japan my family and I have been working on revising our emergency earthquake plans and we're considering keeping CBs in the cars, especially since cell service might be down.

Thank you in advance as always for your great info!

Chris
Old 03/16/11, 02:52 AM   #2
Ratch

White House, TN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipeichris View Post
Hi Guys,

So I've never used a CB before and would like to ask you for some basic advice.

So here are my questions:

1. How far of a distance does a CB work from?
2. What brands are good OR what brands should I stay away from?
3. Does size matter? I'm referring to the antenna!
4. Hand held CBs or in dash?

After the disaster in Japan my family and I have been working on revising our emergency earthquake plans and we're considering keeping CBs in the cars, especially since cell service might be down.

Thank you in advance as always for your great info!

Chris
An out of the box CB radio is good for 5-15 miles depending on antenna, terrain, atmospheric conditions, and amount of traffic on the channel. If you have it tuned, it can reach quite a bit farther.

Cobra and Uniden are both considered top of the line as far as commonly available brands.

Antenna choice is important, and having your radio tuned to the antenna is critical if you want to maximize the performance. Back in the day, I had a $20 wall mart Roadmaster 40 channel that I had tuned to a 102" steel whip that would walk all over an out of the box Cobra LTD Classic. I do not want to advise anyone to do anything illegal but there are amplifiers that can greatly extend range. But the FCC really frowns on it. Don't ask me how I know

Hand held CB's are ok if you want to flag down a passing trucker for roadside assistance, but for disaster communication I wouldn't expect much.

If you are serious about this I would suggest getting a HAM radio license. HAM operators have always been involved in providing communication support of disaster relief efforts. I am not a HAM operator, but I used to hang out with a few. Google turned this up. http://www.arrl.org/

Hope that helps you out.

'76 Sport In progress.
Old 03/16/11, 05:59 AM   #3
englewoodcowboy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"The Duck"

Ceres, VA
A CB out of the box reaching 5 miles is only in ideal conditions. There are still alot of devices that emit or transmit an AM frequency which kills the effective distance. The absolute best antenna you can get for any of them is a 102" stainless whip. This is a true quarter wave non loaded antenna, but the antenna is only as good as its base. The best location is in the center of a roof so as you have seen guys mount them on bumpers, the side of the vehicle to keep height down, it downplays the true power of the antenna but even mounting it low on your vehicle it will be much better than someone running a fiberglass loaded antenna. Now I have not heard or seen an FCC officer in over 20 years... that being said does not mean they do not exist out there but most truckers typically run a 10 meter radio re-tuned to run CB (Citizens Band). A10 meter will push out 50 watts compared to a CB which is only supposed to run 12 watts. (A tuned CB will push 20 - 25 watts but eventuall will burn out the secondarys due to the excessive heat). The other feature when a 10 meter is reconfigured to CB, it basically becomes a side band radio allowing you to choose frequencys just off of the normal 40 CB is allowed to run. Its outlaw radio and alot do it. For emergency purposes though, I would look into a outlaw radio for long distance comm. With that radio you will be able to hit some HAM frequencys and these are the true emergency comm guys. Ham will literally talk around the world on good nights that they can achieve skip.

???Green??? '73 (o===o) 331 Stroker, MSD Atomic EFI, Explorer Serp, 2.5" Wild Horses Suspension, 1" Nicks Trix Body Lift, NV3550, Hydroboost, Detroit True Tracs, 4:30 gears, 33" BFG MT KM2's, Front Disc Brake conversion, AC, Stereo system and I am certain this is just the start! My Build.
Old 03/16/11, 07:23 AM   #4
.94 OR
Contributor

Willamette Valley
Garage
Any input on SWR meters to adjust the antenna? I use a CB in my work truck and it isn't doing what I think it should.

1967 Body over 1971.5 Frame and running gear, 3.5" lift, all stock except what's not
Old 03/16/11, 07:42 AM   #5
Wyflyer
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Uvalde Texas

My Gallery
I always thought Chuck Norris should have built his own brand...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chuck.jpg (15.4 KB, 46 views)

Always fly in the middle of the air. Avoid the sides and bottom of the air, they are filled with trees and poles and buildings.
Old 03/16/11, 09:18 AM   #6
BroncoDawg

God Bless America

Bishop, CA

My Gallery
Wouldn't put much faith in CB for disaters as they don't have much reach even when matched to the antenna. Out of the box they only put out 5 watts and if they reach 5 miles you're doing well.
The tall steel whip antennas work the best, but they are dangerous for trail rigs to use as anyone standing near your rig in tough terrain is in danger of getting hit by them. That's why you don't see them much anymore. Put a 4 footer in the center of your roof for best performance.
Got my ham license a while back and no comparison in the performance and range and only keep a cb since so many still use them on the trail.

No matter where you go, there you are!
1977,EFI 5.0 HO,C4,Klune,37" MTR/ 75 Bronco yard art/ 79 F350 4x4 / 99 F350 crewcab 7.3 4x4
Old 03/16/11, 09:22 AM   #7
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
Ratch is right about HAM radio, me and my daughter are operators. a lot of 2 meter, 220, and 440 frequencies use repeater towers, and almost all of them are on battery backup in case the power goes out. there's a few local repeaters that are tied world wide, i've talked to many different countries.

HF is even better, no repeaters needed because the signal uses skip to get out. little more for the equipment and you need a bigger antenna, but more chance of getting contact.

CB all depends on where you are. where we are with all the hills, maybe a few miles. on the other hand i was driving across utah a few years ago and i was talking to someone 40 miles away. of course my CB was pushing 45 watts.
Old 03/16/11, 09:39 AM   #8
NYLES
Contributor
Bronco Guru

YOU WANNA WHAT?

FREE RUN, MS

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by .94 OR View Post
Any input on SWR meters to adjust the antenna? I use a CB in my work truck and it isn't doing what I think it should.

adj swr as low as posiable

'69, 306 EFI'ed, ZF, DANA 44, 4 WHEEL DISC'S, ASTROBOOST, 3.5"SUSPENSION LIFT, 2"BODY LIFT, GLASS BODY, 37" ON MRW, 5.13's GRZZ/GRIZZ , MOSER, STONE CRUSHER, POWER STEERING, BAILIE BILT, DURABACK, RJM
Old 03/16/11, 09:52 AM   #9
Pokey71

Im From Pirate

PBB
eBay: For-Be
Garage
Also to fine tune the antenna,
The extra wire from the antenna to the CB needs to be pinched. Loop the excess and zip tie the middle so it looks like a bow. Don't ask why but it works. I have been told my many people that this helps.

{o===o}
---> Go East Marines--->
Old 03/16/11, 05:17 PM   #10
taipeichris
Bronco Guru

"Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness & some men drive Broncos"

Los Angeles, CA

My Gallery
Hi Guys,

Interesting... what do the police use? Ignorant question but are ham radios portable?

Thanks and please keep the info flowing!
Chris
Old 03/16/11, 05:37 PM   #11
NYLES
Contributor
Bronco Guru

YOU WANNA WHAT?

FREE RUN, MS

My Gallery
Garage
how far are you wanting to talk? diff ways to do it but a range here would be good

'69, 306 EFI'ed, ZF, DANA 44, 4 WHEEL DISC'S, ASTROBOOST, 3.5"SUSPENSION LIFT, 2"BODY LIFT, GLASS BODY, 37" ON MRW, 5.13's GRZZ/GRIZZ , MOSER, STONE CRUSHER, POWER STEERING, BAILIE BILT, DURABACK, RJM
Old 03/16/11, 06:11 PM   #12
mortimersnerd

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Interesting... what do the police use? Ignorant question but are ham radios portable?

Chris
You can get handheld ham radios, but they're not as powerful, just like handheld CB radios.
Old 03/16/11, 06:19 PM   #13
mortimersnerd

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Chris
You can get handheld ham radios, but they're not as powerful, just like handheld CB radios.
Old 03/16/11, 06:22 PM   #14
NicksTrix
Bronco Guru

Dream Big

lake norman, nc
eBay: NicksTrix
breaker breaker, you got a copy on the one niner? 'com on

Old 03/16/11, 06:35 PM   #15
epicadventure

Bigger the blob, the better the job

Woodburn, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey71 View Post
Also to fine tune the antenna,
The extra wire from the antenna to the CB needs to be pinched. Loop the excess and zip tie the middle so it looks like a bow. Don't ask why but it works. I have been told my many people that this helps.
It has to do with inductance. If you figure eight the extra, it cancels it out.

1975 with a 302, ZF 5 spd, NP205 and onboard air (under construction)

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives