Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 03/21/11, 08:59 AM   #1
treetopflyer

Yuma
Rear axle pinion off-set

Hey guys, looking at cutting down a Dana 60 out of a E350 van. My question is "what is the rear pinion off-set"?, i.e. is the pinion directly behind the Dana 20 rear output or off to the right or left...NOTE: don't let the differential housing fool you...the pinion itself is not in the center of the "3rd member".
Is there an issue if the driveshaft angles left or right or must it be parallel to the frames/ 90* to the face of the transfer case rear output.
I don't have the body off of my truck to get accurate measurements and can’t find a diagram that shows the information I’m looking for. Hope I explained this clearly enough? A pictures worth a thousand words.

'69 EB, '98 VW Jetta TDi, '01 VW NB TDi
treetopflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 10:28 AM   #2
treetopflyer

Yuma
stock rear axle dimensions

All right guys...this has been posed for 8 days and no bites. Let me pose this another way. To make my donor REAR Dana 60 axle, B.O.M 606522-3, fit my69 EB (58"WMS-WMS), I'll have to cut both sides down. If I just cut down the long side, the differential will not be centered. I tried to measure the stock ford 9", but I couldn't get accurate measurements with the body still on the frame. I can't tell if the stock rear driveshaft runs straight back to the rear pinion OR if it's angled left or right, and if so how much?

Clear as mud? I thought so...if the rear D/S does angle left or right I'd like to know the dimensions so I can cut my new axle to match or even correct the offset so the T-case output and the rear pinion yoke are in line.

Anybody got the body off their EB with the 9" still under it? Could you drop a few plumb lines and get some measurements? You know the old adage “measure twice, cut once”
Thanks

Old 03/29/11, 10:44 AM   #3
Explorer
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Raphine, Virginia
eBay: gfw1985

My Gallery
Garage
I'm at the perfect point to measure for you except for one thing, my third member is out being repaired. Hopefully someone will help you this time.

66 half cab 203ci I6, Classic Inlines aluminum head and intake, DSII, Holley 390 cfm 4V, Isky cam, Keith Black flat top pistons, ARP studs, balanced, 9.7:1 compression
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 11:19 AM   #4
treetopflyer

Yuma
Explorer...thanks man! I'm not in a rush (weeks not days). If you don't mind following up with this That would help me a bunch.

P.S. did I make my request clear? Sometimes I type in what I think is great detail, but it doesn't make sense to anyone but me!

Old 03/29/11, 12:51 PM   #5
Explorer
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Raphine, Virginia
eBay: gfw1985

My Gallery
Garage
I should have it back long before then. If it helps any, the center of the Dana20 output shaft is offset 2" towards the passenger side.

66 half cab 203ci I6, Classic Inlines aluminum head and intake, DSII, Holley 390 cfm 4V, Isky cam, Keith Black flat top pistons, ARP studs, balanced, 9.7:1 compression
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 01:28 PM   #6
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
I have layed out a few drivetrains in the past. as much as you think the driveshaft points straight back at the axle, it doesn't. I was amazed to find out how croocked some engines sit in the frame. Pull a straight line from the center of the pinion to the center of the damper on the engine and nothing lines up. Not sure if the Bronco follows this.

I have sen a Jeep with an axle swap. Dana 18 T-case with offset rear output and AMC20 rear end with centered pumpkin. Driveshaft was at a funny sideways angle and the owner drove it without issues.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 01:36 PM   #7
treetopflyer

Yuma
Explorer, thanks...I did see the XFER case is offset, but couldn't get a accurate reference for measurement. I tried to get a straight edge between/ across the frame rails but with the dual exhaust and plumbing, no luck...keep me in mind when you get your diff. back and installed.

Old 03/29/11, 01:45 PM   #8
treetopflyer

Yuma
Broncobowsher...That's what I've seen (jeeps), some D/S's not only slope down (as all D/S's do) but also angle side to side. I agree that it shouldn't be an issue (+- an inch or so), but I'm no Driveshaft guru and was curious about compound angles. I still need a left to right measurement so I can get my dana 60 cut soon.

Thanks guys

Old 03/29/11, 05:02 PM   #9
TBS-POPS
Bronco Guru

ALL my drinking buddies have a severe bronco problem!!

valley springs, ca

My Gallery
Just cut it so the housing is centered. thats the way a full width nine inch is. the pinion IS off to the pass side.

WWW.NORCALBRONCOS.COM 72, TBI 302, 435,20,FW44&9,4.56 w/pl&arb,2" & 5.5" on 37's.SOLD Broncoless for now
Broncos are like BOOBS, There always better after they've been worked on..
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 05:09 PM   #10
siderbox
Contributor
Bronco Guru

hold my beer, watch this

Gardner KS

My Gallery
Garage
I'm with Broncobowsher. I too have set more than a few 'one off' chassis.
The pinion angle is WAY more important than the offset.
You can put the offset just about anywhere you want.
Have you ever looked under a LandRover?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
66 HalfCab
siderbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 05:20 PM   #11
broncodriver99
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Glen Allen, VA
Garage
I'm getting 10-7/8 from inside pass frame rail 12-5/8 from drivers.

Last edited by broncodriver99; 03/29/11 at 05:35 PM..

'73 in progress. 302, 3 On the Floor, 2.5" Suspension, 33's, 4.11:1
broncodriver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/11, 05:21 PM   #12
treetopflyer

Yuma
Roger that on pinion angle...but is there a plus or minus to moving the rear diff. to one side or the other... (Light goes off)...unless I built it to match the FRONT offset...think about clearing a rock or obstacle...both diff's would be aligned and you choose a line that wouldn't smash them...thoughts, criticism, cheers? Did I mention that I love this site? well I do...group hug and kumbaya to all.

Old 03/29/11, 05:22 PM   #13
broncodriver99
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Glen Allen, VA
Garage
My D20 output shaft measures right at 10" from pass. rail.

'73 in progress. 302, 3 On the Floor, 2.5" Suspension, 33's, 4.11:1
broncodriver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/11, 07:24 AM   #14
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
eBay: untod
Read this & you'll be a driveshaft guru:

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/11, 08:11 AM   #15
treetopflyer

Yuma
Thumbs up

Steve83...U da man!
Thanks for the diagrams. That made things much clearer. I also liked the recommended balancing speed of 3000rpm vs. 500rpm and how the factory marks the high & low balance points of a given shaft to retain proper balance and orientation during assembly. Good questions to ask when searching for a driveshaft builder. Anyone ask this of Tom Woods or Jesse at High angle? Those two seem to have the best reputation on this forum.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech