Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/11/11, 07:16 PM   #1
coachcal

Engine wont shut off!

'74 with a 302.

Recently replaced all cables from battery starter and starter Sylenoid (sp?). I only did this because they looked corroded. I have been driving it for about a week after changing the new parts. Now all of the sudden it will start up fine but will not shut off.

I turn the key to the off position and remove it but it keeps running. Have to disconnect the coil to get it to shut off. Also have to disconnect the battery or the radio would stay on.

Any help?
coachcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/11, 07:54 PM   #2
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
eBay: untod
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcal View Post
...starter Sylenoid (sp?).
Any help?
Sure! It's spelled "relay".

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcal View Post
Have to disconnect the coil to get it to shut off. Also have to disconnect the battery or the radio would stay on.
Your ignition switch is bad, or a hot wire has come loose & shorted to the others. Look at the back of the switch, & this diagram:

Last edited by Steve83; 06/12/11 at 11:05 AM..

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/11, 08:37 PM   #3
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
I would say also coachcal, that another possibility is that your old relay/solenoid/thingy has gone belly-up and is sending current through the little Brown "I" wire on up to the coil.
It's unusual, but not unheard of.

Otherwise, as Steve says, the most common issue would be a bad ignition switch.
Unfortunately though, as he also said, you need to to some tracking, because any kind of fault or short that lets any voltage get to the Red w/green wire to the coil can keep the engine running.

My thinking was that, since you were messing with the starter relay a couple of weeks ago, that would be where I'd look first. It's also the easiest to diagnose, since all you have to do is pull the Brown wire off and run the engine again. See if it helps.

Good luck. And yeah, sylenoid and cylenoid seem to be the two most common mis-spellings here. So you're in good company.
And "relay" IS easier...

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" lift, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers.
Soon to be 5.0 w/ NV3550 and NP241 and whatever other parts are stuffed in the cab, storage room and garage, waiting to be installed.

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/11, 08:45 PM   #4
coachcal

I just noticed one more issue. Apparently when I was running one of the battery cables I pulled a wire free from something. It is in the bundle running right behind the RELAY. It is black and white and says "compressor" on it. I haven't had a chance to chase it down to see if I can tell where it goes. I assume the obvious 1st option would be AC compressor.
coachcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/11, 08:56 PM   #5
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
What wiring harness are you running? None of the factory wires had descriptions on them.

And back to your first issue, I forgot that your radio stays on too. Kind of leads one back to the ignition switch itself again.

A quick test of something like the heater blower might tell you. If it runs with the key off, then you've got power out from the switch still.
If you have a voltmeter though, of course you can tell more things, but the simple tests are fun and rewarding too.
And beat the heck out of turning upside down and inside out under the dash. Any day of the week!

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" lift, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers.
Soon to be 5.0 w/ NV3550 and NP241 and whatever other parts are stuffed in the cab, storage room and garage, waiting to be installed.

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 06/12/11, 12:24 AM   #6
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Sure! It's spelled "relay".
Don't be corrupting my peeps. If they want to call it a starter solenoid it's a starter solenoid.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Viperwolf1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/11, 12:45 AM   #7
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
It's a fiendish thingy. One of many on a Bronco.

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 06/12/11, 06:46 AM   #8
JLBachs
Contributor

Lawrenceville, IL

My Gallery
Garage
Had experience with this last week. The solenoid was bad and current was going from the tan wire on the "I" post on the solenoid to the coil. You should be able to confirm this by disconnecting the tan wire. The solenoid is relatively inexpensive and replacing offers the opportunity to uprade to the new style if you like that sort of thing.
JLBachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/11, 11:03 AM   #9
Steve83
Bronco Guru

Fullsize Bronco Guru

Memphis, TN, USA
eBay: untod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperwolf1 View Post
If they want to call it a starter solenoid it's a starter solenoid.
I guess the Abraham Lincoln sheep riddle would be moot...

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/11, 09:18 PM   #10
nosaj2k
Contributor

Green River, WY

My Gallery
Funny, I was having the opposite problem just the other day

Sure I'm satisfied. You would be too, if you're looking for dead-end, low paying dirty work.
nosaj2k is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech