Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 07/05/11, 03:44 PM   #1
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
So... How is that Brake Light Switch Supposed to Work?

How can something so simple be such a PIA?

I'm trying really hard to finish up my hydroboost conversion. I still have a little air in the PS fluid, but I'm confident that will work it's way out. What I'm stuck on now is the brake light switch!

I'm trying to do a nice job, so I ordered a Brake Rod Bushing, which looked like it was missing from my original brake system. This bushing fits snuggly inside the large hole in the end of the brake rod from the booster. It also fits snuggly on the pin on the side of the brake pedal. So, when I install it all (nylon washer, open side of brake switch, brake rod w/bushing, closed side of brake switch, nylon bushing, and spring pin) everything fits nice and snug, with no play anywhere, but the brake switch doesn't actuate. To make a long story short, the only way I can make the switch work, is to leave out the brand new brake rod bushing, which puts some slop in the brake rod. That slop seems to be enough to actuate the brake switch.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that Ford engineered that switch so there had to be slop in the brake rod to work...

What am I missing????

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
70_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 03:48 PM   #2
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Yea, it kinda depends on slop to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake light sw.jpg (164.9 KB, 169 views)

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Viperwolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 04:25 PM   #3
72Sport
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Work is a four letter word.

SoCal
The spring loaded flat plate in the switch will get bent when someone runs it without the bushing in the rod. When the new owner puts bushing in the rod it won't actuate the switch because it no longer has the necessary travel. If you look at the part of the switch that contacts the rod you will probably notice a slight curve to it. If it is not flat replace the switch.
72Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 04:59 PM   #4
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
eBay: ford_bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperwolf1 View Post
Yea, it kinda depends on slop to work.
OMFG..can this be true?..

The actuation of the switch depends on the cam action of that flat boss on the pedal end of the actuation rod. its supposed to be perfectly flat against the switch plate when pedal is slack and the slightest relative rotation makes contact occur.

Frankly, I've had all my problems with the stupidly sensitive switch with brake lights that refused to go out.

'69 w/ Oz-408, T-18/NP-205, D44/ARB, D60 Detroit
39.5 IROK Radials/Champion Beadlocks
Hydroboost- F-250 dual-piston frt disk/ F-250 drum
bmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 05:19 PM   #5
Pedestrian
Bronco Missionary

Wandering the wilderness spreading the Bronco gospel

Mesa, AZ

My Gallery
Steve, just wanted to make sure you used the Ford end of the brake rod with the flats. The chevy boosters do not have the required flats on the rod end.

I have done some creative bending to repair the switch. They are dirt cheap so usually easier to replace.

68 Bronco Sport, 95 Mustang 5.0, Explorer/ Tbird EFI, Explorer serpentine, 3.5" SL, 33x12.5-15, 3.50 gears, 4x4x2 steering, 1" BL, T-19
Pedestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 05:37 PM   #6
Rockin69er
Contributor

Cottonwood, Az
I chased this same gremlin for months. Brake lights work.........don't work........work............don't work. I remembered how simple the switch for a 67-72 F-100 was and adapted one of those.
Rockin69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 06:08 PM   #7
TDubya

Fortuna, CA
My brake light switch went out on my '75 ten years ago. When I replaced it I also intalled the nylon bushing (which it was missing) to take up some of the slop. Brake lights wouldn't work, took out the bushing, lights worked again, been living with brake pedal slop ever since.

'75 Ranger 302, Edlebrock Performer, Holley 4160, Crane H-260-2 cam, C4, 4.10s, 3 1/2" lift, 33x10.50 BFGs
'69 170, 3 on the tree stocker
TDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 06:58 PM   #8
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc69 View Post
OMFG..can this be true?..
I knew there had to be something I didn't know.

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Viperwolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/11, 07:47 PM   #9
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
eBay: ford_bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperwolf1 View Post
I knew there had to be something I didn't know.
I drank a beer to celebrate. Oh...hang on..I'm always drinking one anyways

'69 w/ Oz-408, T-18/NP-205, D44/ARB, D60 Detroit
39.5 IROK Radials/Champion Beadlocks
Hydroboost- F-250 dual-piston frt disk/ F-250 drum
bmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/11, 12:32 PM   #10
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Quote:
I drank a beer to celebrate. Oh...hang on..I'm always drinking one anyways
Celebrating another day above ground!!! I do the same!!!

Quote:
The actuation of the switch depends on the cam action of that flat boss on the pedal end of the actuation rod. its supposed to be perfectly flat against the switch plate when pedal is slack and the slightest relative rotation makes contact occur.
Yeah, I thought about that, but there's nothing to hold the switch in position, so as the pedal moves the cam action of the flats on the brake rod would/should tend to just make the switch rotate and follow the flat on the brake rod. At least that's what I can see.

But then, it was about 125 in my garage when I was laying on my back under the dash with the sweat dripping into my eyes, trying to figure this out.

Oh, and Kurt, I'm using a Superduty H-boost that does have the flat. My setup looks exactly like what Viperwolf1 posted.

Edit:

I looked at the drawing Viperwolf1 posted again, and I do see a difference. My stoplight switch has the connections on the opposite side, and the wiring plug is long since gone. Is that wiring plug, being on the pedal side of the switch, supposed to keep the stoplight switch from rotating? This might make sense if bmc69's theory is correct. Maybe I'll do some playing when I get home!!!

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
70_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/11, 12:37 PM   #11
lonesouth
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tallahassee
eBay: lonesouth
I put a piece of felt on the plate to take up the slack between the pedal and plate. Worked enough to sell...

1977, 1" BL, 2.5" SL, Stock 351w, C4, 32x11.50, Explorer Serp, Duraspark/HEI hybrid
Build Thread - Powder Coating - Welding
Phone: 850-273-8818
lonesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/13, 06:58 PM   #12
mrron2u

Overland Park, KS

My Gallery
Garage
God I love this sight! I just did this swap and this page with the picture really helped! It was not easy putting that stupid switch in, but you guys made it easier!
mrron2u is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech