Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 04/05/12, 12:33 PM   #1
RIbronco

In a constant state of fix

Costa Mesa, CA
Changing rear axle bearings, without a press

...anyone done this successfully?

I ran a few searches but didn't see a response specifically to this. The only part really documented, is using a grinder and chisel to remove the press on retaining ring. There isn't much information for the bearing removal or installation without a press.

Measuring the new parts, the bearing has a 0.003" larger ID than the retaining ring, so I'm hoping its not as difficult to remove / install. Also, due to the bearing's seals and grease, I'd be limited in the heat that can be applied. The retaining ring can be easily be heated to 400F or so.

My plan is to put the bearing and retaining ring in an older toaster oven, and the axle ends in a bucket of ice water (possibly the freezer [I'm single ]). This method worked well when rebuilding the D20, where the parts just slid together by hand, with no need for a hammer.

My concerns are that the press interference fit is different and the hot part / cold part method will not work. Or, I cannot heat the bearing up enough for it to properly expand, before I damage the seals or grease.

Rust is just a form of weight reduction....right?
RIbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 02:27 PM   #2
OKLA70
Contributor

Tulsa, Ok
Cut the old retainer and bear with a grinder or whatever you can. You can use a piece of tubing to "hammer" the new stuff on. Just make sure the tubing is the same size as the inner race. Do one at a time or mark where the old bearing is
OKLA70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 05:24 PM   #3
bad 68
Contributor

Honey, I promise I'll get the bronco out of the living room in time for ....

Northest Washington
You can cut the old one off with a die grinder. once you cut half way through put a decent sized chisel in the grove and give it a few good blows with a decent sized hammer.

But really your just waisting your time becuse the new one really needs to be pressed on and the guy that presses the new one on can press the old one off first. Unless your posting this stuck beside a trail some where I would get acess to a press and do it the easy and right way.
bad 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 06:02 PM   #4
RIbronco

Costa Mesa, CA
The goal is to do the bearing and seal replacement, in my garage, without a press. I'd actually prefer not to use any impact force on the installation either.
At the moment, bringing it to a place with a press would require me to get a ride from one of my neighbors. This isn't a terrible thing, and I'm sure one of them would be happy to help me out, but I try to be self sufficient when I can.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming!

Old 04/05/12, 06:05 PM   #5
Amac70
ME

back on the trail

St Helens, Or

My Gallery
Garage
people been putting on bearings for years with out presses. in fact the maching shop i used to use pressed on most of the way and seated the last bit with a hammer. you can also use the heat metheod and heat the bearing and just drop it on.

70' 351 efi w/fw d44/9 airlockers f/r,4r70w, oba, other stuff
Amac70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 06:11 PM   #6
J-man
Contributor

Making the most of this one

Holladay, UT

My Gallery
Using a grinder to cut the old off works like a champ

J-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 06:11 PM   #7
taipeichris
Bronco Guru

"Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness & some men drive Broncos"

Los Angeles, CA

My Gallery
Hi,
Do it once and do it right. Spend a few bucks and go the the machine shop. Do you really want to be somewhere and have the bearing fail? Then you'll have to take it all apart and do it all over again.

So you're thinking, what if it fails, big deal right?

Last year someone driving from Fab Fords to Arizona had a bearing fail and if memory serves me, on a Sunday night the axle caught on fire on the highway somewhere on the way home.

Just my 2 cents.
taipeichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 06:15 PM   #8
fungus
Bronco Guru

Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Garage
Get a $100 12ton Harbor Freight press. You'll find you use it ALL the time especially when your buds know you have one!

'69 Resto-Mod
'68 Family wheeler in the works
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 06:37 PM   #9
.94 OR
Contributor

Willamette Valley
Garage
Wipe the axle down good and place it in the chest/upright freezer for several hours.

Turn the oven on low. Place the bearing on a cookie sheet. About 30 minutes in the oven.

Once these two steps are done, make sure you have all the pieces in place and drop the bearing in place. It wouldn't hurt to holesaw a correct size hole in a block of wood as a driving surface to seat the bearing if you need to.

I do second the opinion of the HF press, I have found lots of uses for mine.

1967 Body over 1971.5 Frame and running gear, 3.5" lift, all stock except what's not
.94 OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 06:41 PM   #10
RIbronco

Costa Mesa, CA
^ Normally I would buy a press, but I'm moving, in a few weeks, and will be going from a house with a large 2 car garage, to no garage and street parking. I'm trying to get a bunch of maintenance done before the move and most of my stuff, ultimately, going into storage. I was planning on having the axle shafts chillin' while installing new parking break cables.

Old 04/05/12, 08:50 PM   #11
SpareParts
Contributor
Bronco Guru

My wife understands my Addiction.

Gerald, Missouri

My Gallery
Garage
I know Steve from AWS would press them on for you if you could get it there. I would bet if you asked him you could do it at all at his shop. You could do it at my shop but I'm a lot further away.

1972, EFI'ed 357W, C6, 208/205, ARBed D60, Shaved 14 bolt, 4:10's, stretched custom 3 link front and rear, hydroboost, 4wheel disks, 40" Creepy Crawlers on DIU 17's & 39.5" TSL's on H1's, BUILT NOT BOUGHT -My Build Thread- -My Videos-
SpareParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 10:06 PM   #12
1970mule
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Shut your mouth when your talkin to me.

Lancaster

My Gallery
i read that someone said heat the bearing, the bearing has grease packed in it correct? i can't remember so heating that may not be a good idea. just buy a press from harbor, use it and take it back. lol dirty but hey its prob only good for a few uses anyway its made in chine.

It's like giving a bunch of monkeys a hand gun and expecting good things to happen.
1970mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 10:10 PM   #13
scrapman1971
Contributor

Life is tough, get a helmet.

phoenix,az

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970mule View Post
i read that someone said heat the bearing, the bearing has grease packed in it correct? i can't remember so heating that may not be a good idea. just buy a press from harbor, use it and take it back. lol dirty but hey its prob only good for a few uses anyway its made in chine.
so when it cools down pack some more in it

A man may fall many times, but he won’t be a failure until he says that someone pushed him.
scrapman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/12, 10:27 PM   #14
bknbronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

BRONCO ENVY.....Its a Jeep thing!

North Metro, MN
My dad took his to a shop to have it pressed on but the press wasnt tall enough, in the end the ended up pounding it on with a pipe anyways.

If women cant find you handsom they should at least find you handy!
Gota love the snowball effect...Thats broncoing for ya!
68 frame off project with glass tub and fenders
bknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/12, 07:46 AM   #15
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman1971 View Post
so when it cools down pack some more in it
The bearings are sealed and lubed for life, so the only way to put more grease into it would be to remove the seals or puncture them with a syringe. Either way you just signed the death warrant for that bearing.

Hot/Cold and make it happen. The grease should be good to 240 degrees F...seals probably at least 200 degrees F. I would have a piece of DOM/pipe cut and ready in case it needed some persuasion to seat fully, but what's the worst case scenario assuming you don't damage the bearing? The bearing doesn't fully seat and you need to find someone with a press?

Alternatively, I can think of a few different ways to make a press using all-thread, a collar and a couple of steel plates, but that sounds like a lot of work just to install an axle bearing.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Apogee is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech