Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 04/23/12, 11:28 AM   #1
Shevland

Paoli
Dual Gas Tanks...How Do They Work?

I have wanted a classic Bronco for 10 years and finally bought a 1966 just a few days ago. I know very little about cars in general but want/need to learn and I was told this would be a great place to gain an education. After owning the car for only 4 days, I already have a little situation that I could use some help with. I ran out of gas (even though the tank said their was 1/4 tank left) so I had to hitchhike to a gas station and get it solved. I am not even 100% sure if I ran out of gas. I went into a Home Depot, came out and couldn't start it, and assumed it was the gas because it was kind of getting low. It was also old gas in there from prior owner so maybe that had something to do with it. This leads me to my questions about how the dual gas tank system works...

1) Does the gas gauge tell you how much gas in total is available between the 2 tanks or just in one tank based on whichever tank you have selected on the dash?

2) Does the gas tank switch on the bash actually set the car up to pull gas from the other tank or does it do that automatically and the switch just tells the gas gauge which tank it is measuring? If it does actually switch the source from one tank to the other, does it have to be done when parked or can it be done when driving down the street?

3) Do you actually fill up both tanks? (Sidenote, I tried doing this but when I went to fill up the second tank I could see gas spirting out inside of the one I already filled in a little hole which looks like it is designed to be there for some reason, almost like an overflow vale or something)

4) Which tank is the main tank and what are the sizes of each? (I have a 66 if that helps)

Sorry for my limited knowledge, like I said I have only owned the car for less than a week and can't wait to start learning more about it.

Thanks!
Shevland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 12:29 PM   #2
oleguy74
Contributor
Bronco Guru

calif city ca
front tank is aux.rear is main.switch on dash selects fuel level for main or aux not both at same time.valve in front of drivers seat switches tanks.this is stock configuration.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 12:43 PM   #3
surveyor5

Been there, wish I had done that!

Oakridge, OR
The valve for switching from one tank to the other is located below the driver's seat. When you are seated with your feet flat on the floor, the valve is located behind your right heel. There is ( or should be) a valve position plate behind the valve handle.
Mike
surveyor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 01:13 PM   #4
TwoDalesDad
Bronco Guru

There are two small round "caps"on the side of your bronco. USUALLY ONE IS IN FRONT OF THE REAR TIRE AND THE OTHER IS BEHIND THE REAR TIRE. THE EASY WAY TO GO...IS TO ADD 5-10 GALLONS TO EACH TANK....THEN GO FOR A SHORT DRIVE....STOPPING TO CHECK FOR LEAKAGE ALONG THE WAY. EARLY BRONCOS. DO NOT GO FOREVER ON A TANK.....BUT WITH GAS IN BOTH TANKS....YOU CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THEM....TO MAKE IT TO A STATION...WHERE GAS IS SOLD...PS....WHEN YOU PURCHASE A VECHICLE THAT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD...START BY FILLING THE TANKS TO ADD TO THE EXISTING CRAP THAT SHOULD EVEN OUT THE DEAD FUEL...AND THE BRONCO WILL LOVE YOU IF YOU CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER AS WELL.....GOOD LUCK....AND GOD-SPEED...THESE ARE JUST SO MUCH FUN...LOL
TwoDalesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 01:18 PM   #5
1970mule
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Shut your mouth when your talkin to me.

Lancaster

My Gallery
1. you are correct it just tells you how much is in the tank that is selected.

2. the switch on the dash only switches the gague to which sender in the tank, the actual switch for the gas to be pulled from either tank is manual and on the floor behind your foot. you can switch while driving.

3.YOU do have to fill both tanks, however these are old trucks as i read your side note and there could be some mods done by the previous owner, so some looking may need to be done.

4.main tank is in the rear, the manual switch on the floor should say which is which for switching, the one in front is AUX. AUX is 9.7 gal i believe and the rear is 12. something or 13. cant remember

It's like giving a bunch of monkeys a hand gun and expecting good things to happen.
1970mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 01:25 PM   #6
BoureeOne
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Baton Rouge, La
Garage
People here are also very very visual. Join and become a member, then post up some pics of what you have. As was said before, advice can only be given based on the stock set up. But if you have mods, those suggestions might not help at all. My biggest concern is your statement about putting gas in one tank, then while putting gas in the second tank you see gas coming from the first tank. Pics Pics Pics

Scott

"Flying Tiger" '66 U15 Wagon
BoureeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 01:27 PM   #7
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Switch on the dash only controls the gauge. Reading is per tank only
Valve under the seat controls the flow of gas. Main tank in the rear, the underseat was the optional aux tank. The tanks should be completely isolated from each other.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
I see you are circling the drain. It won't be long now.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 02:08 PM   #8
BronCowie
Contributor
Bronco Dawg

Hillsboro, OR

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevland View Post
...Sidenote, I tried doing this but when I went to fill up the second tank I could see gas spirting out inside of the one I already filled in a little hole which looks like it is designed to be there for some reason, almost like an overflow vale or something...
This sounds very strange. A picture would help.

I've had gas spirt out of the tank I'm filling if I fill too fast but have never seen or heard of one tank spirting while filling the other.

Defend Our Constitution!

'69 Sport daily driver since 1993. Manual Steering, Manual Drum Brakes, Manual Choke, Pull For Heat, Alice Turn Signals and much more.
BronCowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 02:44 PM   #9
croft75

Ontario, Canada

My Gallery
Welcome, If you have a single tank you really need to adjust your thinking from a new vehicle, I had the same problem for the first couple of months. You think no way it can be empty but realistically the tank is only twice as big as the one on my lawnmower.
Dual tanks will help or a 23 gallon aftermarket tank will do.
croft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/12, 03:01 PM   #10
brianstrange
Contributor

I don't get even, I get odd!

Tyngsboro
If simply adding gas didn't solve your problem, then....

"Out of gas" + "Guage shows 1/4 full" = check fuel line condition, look for rust in fuel tank, clogged filters, clogged carb.

I prefer facts over opinions.
If all you have is excuses, you will never solve a problem.
brianstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 02:06 AM   #11
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
And on top of what they all said, your old gas gauge and/or wiring and/or sending units can be faulty too.
So your 1/4 tank might really be empty.

Or, like you were thinking, it could still be half-full but something else caused it not to start. Gummed up carburetor for one thing.

What kind of overall condition is the Bronco in? How about the wiring and stuff? All fluids changed after you bought it?
Some things to think about anyway.

The amount of gas you can get in your tanks will vary. While it did officialy vary slightly over the years, even among trucks from the same year, one might get more at a fill up than another's Bronco will take.
My '71 would barely take 7 gallons in the front auxiliary tank, and 11 gallons in the rear main.
So if yours are anywhere near that at fill up time, you're probably doing good.

Good luck,.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" lift, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers.
Soon to be 5.0 w/ NV3550 and NP241 and whatever other parts are stuffed in the cab, storage room and garage, waiting to be installed.

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech