Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 04/25/12, 02:34 PM   #1
Brian B

Boaz, AL
Brake Master Cylinder

Does anyone know if there is a difference in a master cylinder for a 1975 and a 1976 Bronco? My Bronco is a 75 with a 76 front end. Of course I have disc brakes on the front and drum's on the rear. Any help is appreciated.
Brian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 03:33 PM   #2
Greg_B
Bronco Guru

I ain't as good as I once was....

Cohutta, GA

My Gallery
Garage
Do you have power assist disc brakes like a 76 model? A 76 booster maybe?

Greg

BCB 3.5" lift, WH 1" body lift, 93 Mustang 5.0 EFI, F150 knuckles and steering linkage, Yukon 31 Spline axles, Custom full cage, ARB rear, Tru Trac front, 4:56 gears, 12.50 x 35 Pro Comp Muds, Centerline HT II wheels, Steel Horse Super Seats front, fold and tumble rear. Lots of other custom parts
Greg_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 03:49 PM   #3
Cooter_76

Austin, TX

My Gallery
Aside from being setup for disc/drum application, I think the '76 MC will have ports on the passenger side, which will interfere with the throttle linkage unless you have power brakes. The non-power drum/drum MC I took off my '73 had ports on the driver side.

73 - 302 & C4, 2.5" lift, 32" BFG KM2's, Ch*vy disc brakes, Duraspark, twin sticks, Rampage Soft Top
Cooter_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 04:03 PM   #4
Brian B

Boaz, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_B View Post
Do you have power assist disc brakes like a 76 model? A 76 booster maybe?

Greg
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what is the difference in the power assist disc brakes and standard disc brakes. I have the factory front disc setup a 1976 would have.
Brian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 04:13 PM   #5
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ride like the wind bullseye

Smrtaz, MS.

My Gallery
Garage
Big round booster that the mc is mounted to... and will angle out over the dr side inner fender..

half cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 09:57 PM   #6
cjcargo

Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
Does anyone know if there is a difference in a master cylinder for a 1975 and a 1976 Bronco? My Bronco is a 75 with a 76 front end. Of course I have disc brakes on the front and drum's on the rear. Any help is appreciated.
Yes there is. Besides the differance from which side the lines connect on the MC's. There is a differance in the thread connections also, size wise didn't match the brake hoses from the 74' to 76' MC's. Adapters are available in any auto parts store. I first switched from a single reservoir MC on my 66' to a MC from the 74' with power assist. Now have also gone to disc/drum with the 76 MC.
cjcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/12, 01:51 PM   #7
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Like mentioned, all power-assist EB masters had the ports on the right, while manual masters had them on the left. I think you could special-order manual brakes even in the last couple of model years, but not sure if I've ever seen one first-hand.

Nobody brought it up yet, but in case you were wondering about it, I'm pretty sure that the master cylinder's piston bore was the same size for both power and non-power, disc and non-disc Early Broncos. So no problem there.
Reservoir size for the dual-reservior types was virtually the same for all years too.

Another "possible" difference is that the port for the front brakes on a manual master might have come with a residual pressure check valve behind the brass cone seat.
While I would think that all the original ones were so equipped, not all aftermarket ones have the valve. Either way though, you'd want to check, and if there is one, take it out for use with disc brakes.
I used mine for awhile that way, with no ill effects. However, the potential for dragging brakes is there, so I'd remove any RP check valves present.

Basically then, you'd usually end up using the master that was appropriate for your body (power or manual) and/or for whatever hoses you're using from the master cylinder to the frame.
Only needing to remove any check valves (disc side only) and make sure you plumb the front disc brakes to the rear (larger) reservoir's port.

A lot of us are running Ford disc brakes with the orginal masters with no assist. Works fine for me with up to 33" tires at least.

Good luck.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" lift, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers.
Soon to be 5.0 w/ NV3550 and NP241 and whatever other parts are stuffed in the cab, storage room and garage, waiting to be installed.

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat