• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The Nightmare" - '73 Explorer Father & Son Build Thread!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
My Dad bought himself a Bronco today. It's a '73 Explorer, 302, Automatic, Power Steering, new Painless harness, super solid, originally Grabber Blue. So Dad and I both will have Explorer EBs. Sweet!

So as for plans, this is going to be a keeper, so it will look good and be a good driver....Not all future mods will be listed (of course).

-Bronco needed new floor pan replacements re-welded, so part of the deal was for fordfan to redo the front floors (He didn't do the previous work).

-Repaint black with black Half Cab, add new fender flares (will be painted black.)

-Stock dash with stock gauges and switches. (Has modded one currently)

-New belt-line trim.

-Stock chrome bumpers

-5.0 High Output, mild cam, headers, serpentine.

-Will likely be keeping the C4, since it was recently rebuilt.

-Nice 33"-35" tires.

-Power brakes with front discs.

-Aluminum radiator.

-Possibly a 23 gallon fuel tank.

I will try to keep you guys updated with loads of progress pictures. I'll leave you guys with some pics of our new project:

Attachments

• Dad's 73.jpg
    Dad's 73.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 584
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 647
  • Dad1973.jpg
    Dad1973.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 551
  • 73engine.jpg
    73engine.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 597
  • Dad's1973.jpg
    Dad's1973.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Congrats to both of you. I talked with your dad a little at the Super Celebration. He told me he was looking for a Bronco. I've seen the one he bought in person - nice solid, straight Bronco.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Awesome! That should be alot of fun for you guys for sure! Good Luck! Can't wait to see some updates. ;D

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Thanks guys! Dad hasn't had a street worthy Bronco since 2010, so I'm glad he decided to buy another. He does have a '75 that he got from a friend in the early 90's, but it's rough and not safe to drive. It will probably become a trail rig.

While the '73 won't be a frame off restoration this time, it should make a real nice driver. I have a 5.0 that I'm going to give him for it, so we are a step ahead there too. I do have the upper intake, it just isn't in the pic.

Attachments

• Picture 165.jpg
    Picture 165.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 262

DWALKER

Yep it is a miracle if you can buy from Dennis. Glad ya'll got it at least it will stay in Alabama. And yes it is a very nice and solid Bronco. Good luck with the build.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Hey nice fine the pic do not do the bronco justice I have seen this bronco in person and it is really a nice straight truck and a great start to a nice bronco .Look forward to seeing it come to life:).

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey!!! Enjoyed the day Saturday!!! ...and you really have a great Bronco! Yes, it needs this and that, but which ones don't? Maybe the 15000-$20000 ones don't...but think of all the fun that you and your Dad will have building this one exactly like you want it!!! This is one of the most solid bodies I have seen lately and I think it will respond to a little TLC!!!!
I will post pics of the floor pans when I get them reinstalled correctly.....maybe in a week or two!!!! I can congratulate you also!!!! Each of you having a Bronco will be AWESOME!!!!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Hey!!! Enjoyed the day Saturday!!! ...and you really have a great Bronco! Yes, it needs this and that, but which ones don't? Maybe the 15000-$20000 ones don't...but think of all the fun that you and your Dad will have building this one exactly like you want it!!! This is one of the most solid bodies I have seen lately and I think it will respond to a little TLC!!!!
I will post pics of the floor pans when I get them reinstalled correctly.....maybe in a week or two!!!! I can congratulate you also!!!! Each of you having a Bronco will be AWESOME!!!!

I had a blast Saturday! I appreciate you and your wife's hospitality.

I think we will enjoy building this one. It really is an excellent start. Very hard to find one this solid and straight. I really wanted for us to build one more together, and now I'm getting my wish! :)

Don't be in a hurry on the floor pans. Whenever it's convenient for you. We still need to find some parts anyway. ;)

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Can't wait for the updates! Thats awesome that you are gonna get to build one with your dad! Should be fun for sure. ;D

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I tore the 5.0 down today to get ready for the machine shop. Everything looked good (well, good for used)! It didn't look like it had been tampered with too much in the past.

This is just going to be a nice peppy cruising engine, so we aren't going extreme with mods. But we do want it to have good power and sound.

It does look like we are going EFI. We are planning run the stock E7 heads, but they will be worked on some. Want a valve job and port. We plan to run a Ford Motorsports B303 cam, so we will have new valve springs as well. We will either be using the stock intake or an Explorer/Mountaineer GT-40.

As far as the bottom end, we will have it balanced, and have the crank polished. Stock rods (balanced). Pistons depend on if it needs bored or not. New main and rod bearings, etc.

Attachments

• 100_0781.jpg
    100_0781.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_0780.jpg
    100_0780.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_0779.jpg
    100_0779.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_0778.jpg
    100_0778.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_0777.jpg
    100_0777.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_0776.jpg
    100_0776.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_0775.jpg
    100_0775.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey!!!! Look at that! The old '73 Explorer is going to get a heart transplant!!!! Great to see progress!!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Hey!!!! Look at that! The old '73 Explorer is going to get a heart transplant!!!! Great to see progress!!

Yeah, it's about time I do something with that engine. I bought it for mine nearly 2 years ago, and I haven't saved up the $ to put it in. So I decided to let Dad have it for the '73. Worked out great!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Dropped off the block, crank, and rods/old pistons at the machine shop. We are using Market Street Performance in Scottsboro.

I will be going junkyard shopping tomorrow or Friday for an Explorer GT40 intake set up. We are having the heads ported to match the GT40 intake. I also need to find a flex plate with the 50 oz balance, so they can balance the rotating assembly.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
BTW it was good seeing you and talking to you again at Super Celebration.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Snatched a GT-40 Intake off of a Mountaineer. I'll be dropping the lower off tomorrow so they can port the heads to match.

Attachments

• 100_0783.jpg
    100_0783.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 166