Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 05/21/12, 07:50 AM   #1
xtreme732908

Running new fuel line - Metal vs Nylon

I am in the process of running a new fuel line for my single rear tank 77 Bronco. I'm leaning towards metal lines, but not sure the hassle of bending tube is worth it. Can someone comment on nylon vs metal tube? Is there a benefit to going metal?

If I go metal, what dimension tube should I use?

What is the best way to support/strap down the fuel line once it's installed?
Old 05/21/12, 07:59 AM   #2
mudstud
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Excel, Al

My Gallery
Garage
I used BC’s fuel line kit. It has the lines pre-bent and has the brackets to hold the lines to the frame. If I were to do it again I would buy the lines from the parts house and use BC’s brackets.

Old 05/21/12, 07:59 AM   #3
mudstud
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Excel, Al

My Gallery
Garage
The lines are 3/8"

Old 05/21/12, 08:44 AM   #4
Dbarnes72
Contributor

Eastern Wa.
I used the aluminum fuel line from Speedway Motors. I bought a cheepo bender that does 3 different sizes. Stuff was easy to bend. Pressure rating is good on it too but don't have the numbers. Steel would obviously be stronger but running on top of the rail I figured it would be well protected. As far as bolting it down, Wildhorses has some pretty nice stainless clamps. They can be found on ebay also.
Old 05/21/12, 09:12 AM   #5
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
Nylon lines and exhaust don't tend to get along so well...I'd stick with steel or aluminum given the space constraints on an EB frame.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Old 05/21/12, 09:39 AM   #6
ransil
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Pittsburgh Pa.
Garage
I like the nylon , I can get junk yard Ford EFI fittings and make my own connections by heating up the tubing, for unions & other adapters I use push connect fittings
Old 05/21/12, 11:36 AM   #7
73azbronco
Contributor
Too much time on my hands

Aridzona
If your going carb, I highly recommend stock nylon, it couldn't be easier. That stuff lasted 46 years the first time, and contrary to others, does fine with headers just don't get it close or maybe route outside frame last few feet.

73 Explorer , 347stroker, NV4500 D20, Quadrajet spreadbore with manual altitude compensation, 4.1 ARB, Moser CTM Currie, 78 FSB disks, 76 Tbird calipers. 3.5 WH suspension lift, 2" Body lift for NV clearance.

Build here:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...69#post1759569
Old 05/21/12, 02:17 PM   #8
rsharpnm

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Las Cruces

My Gallery
I just installed the prebent lines this weekend, but it's obvious that unless you're doing a frame-off, that's a tough way to do it. Finally got 'em all wiggled and tweaked in, and finishing up the plumbing this week (went with a Carter 4070).

When the bronc was suffering bad vapor lock in Colorado last year, a salty ol' mechanic in Ouray told me that an electric fuel pump, steel lines and moving the exhaust away from the lines would fix me up. It makes sense that steel lines will dissipate heat well and move fuel quickly (as opposed to rubber). But the factory nylon worked well, IMHO, and I would've left it if I hadn't hacked up up over the years.

'75 Bronco- 3.5" Super Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR, NP 435, Detroit rear, 4.11's, 9500# winch, Taurus fan, Carter 4070 fuel pump, Magnaflow exhaust
'84 Bronco II- 4" Skyjacker Class II lift, Bushwacker flares, 35" M/T's, Autolite 2100 carb, 3 core radiator, 4-pt roll cage, 8.8" rear
Old 05/21/12, 02:33 PM   #9
Bronchole
Bronco Guru

Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I used 3/8 stainless. I bought it from Summit Racing. I am use to working with the lengths of steel line that you get from the auto parts stores. The stainless is a dream to work with. I normally use a bender when working with the steel line but the stainless was actually easier to form by hand and was easy to keep it from crimping. Obviously if you wanted a real tight tunr the bender is better but otherwise all hand formed. It's a bit more difficult to put a double inverted flare on to it though. Estecially the 1/16" brake lines I did with the same type of material.

I had in the past used aluminum lines. After having them crack a couple times I abandoned that idea.

I have not been a big fan of nylon tube. Ever system that I have played with that was installed for a few years was very brittle.

Hey - While you're here reading this thread, CLICK HERE and vote for this site!!!!!!
1967ish Bronchole (the hole that all my money an time go in to)
5.5" lift, 35" tires, 1" BL, 95 5.8, 4R70W, Detroit F&R....
Old 05/21/12, 10:55 PM   #10
Broncitis
Sponsor/Vendor
MEB Founder

York

My Gallery
Nylon DOT airbrake line works great. I use the reinforced DOT airbrake line and push to connect fittings that have fuel compatible o-rings. I have been using this for about 10 years and never had an issue.

It comes in many colors, so I use red for pressure and blue for return lines on most projects, but have also used black and silver for a more subdued look on others.

It is cheap, easy to work with, super tough and can be warmed up in boiling water or with a heat gun and can be pressed onto the barbed fitting on stock Ford EFI lines fittings or fuel rails.

I get it through McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#d.o.t.-tubing/=hn1ieg

Broncos came with nylon fuel lines from the factory and most of those I have removed are still in good shape 40 years later. I really see no advantage to metal in most applications.

Old 05/21/12, 11:11 PM   #11
broncodriver99
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Glen Allen, VA
Garage
I just redid mine with nylon. The PO had ripped it all out and run rubber line from tank to carb. . Everything slipped right in place. The hardest part is getting the fittings in. I did it the hard way with 2 hands and boiling water. There is a tool that makes it easy as well as just using the slip fit oring fittings.

NAPA had everything I needed within a day. IIRC total including an inline fuel filter was $40-50.

'73 in progress. 302, 3 On the Floor, 2.5" Suspension, 33's, 4.11:1
Old 05/21/12, 11:45 PM   #12
DAKOTA7720

CASS COUNTY, MN
x2 on B.C.'s clamps if you go metal. They're really clean looking.
You'll have to scroll down about 3/4 of the way to see them.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/fuelcarb.html
Old 05/22/12, 06:14 AM   #13
J-man
Contributor

Making the most of this one

Holladay, UT

My Gallery
Call summit tell them you need 3/8 aluminum 20' roll and appropriate AN fittings. Get the summit fuel filter and buy some stainless hold downs. This tubing bends super easy by had for the small bends. Now if you need to do a 90degree bend buy a $6 harbor freight bender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2771.jpg (141.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2769.jpg (110.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2767.jpg (121.6 KB, 148 views)

Old 05/22/12, 11:55 AM   #14
Annapolis76EB

Annapolis, MD
The metal line from NAPA is very easy to work with and bends easily. I bought the 3/8" tubing in 6' sections and had no issues bending it into place. I would recommend just buying the sticks and bending it into position as you go. It worked well for me and was really easy. The tubing says NAPA on it, but it is made by these guys.

http://www.agscompany.com/automotive
Old 05/22/12, 05:04 PM   #15
73azbronco
Contributor
Too much time on my hands

Aridzona
The nylon line costs about $10 and lasts 46 years.

73 Explorer , 347stroker, NV4500 D20, Quadrajet spreadbore with manual altitude compensation, 4.1 ARB, Moser CTM Currie, 78 FSB disks, 76 Tbird calipers. 3.5 WH suspension lift, 2" Body lift for NV clearance.

Build here:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...69#post1759569

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives