Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/18/12, 02:01 PM   #1
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

after 2 years.... ITS ALIVE!!!!!!

Sunny SO CAL
Cool Front bumper

Now that I finished my rear bumper (tire carrier to continue) I want to make the front bumper!

I went to IMS (ind Meta Supply) and got light tabs, gussets and 10 lbs of e7014 3/32 rod, also 5 more grinder cutting wheels.

central to the design will be a 2 x 6 x 3/16's rectangular tube.

please post any pictures of something similar! I would like to get my creative juices flowing!

as a reference I leave you with my rear bumper!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5530.jpg (109.4 KB, 245 views)

EFI 5.0 HO GT40p, 4Rw/AOD, NP205, Aluminum radiator/oil cooler/mark viii fan, explorer belt drive, SupaDirt HB 4 wheel disc,23 gallon tank, 33" BFG KM2's w 4.10 gears, black leather, TWoods drive shaft dont Buy...Build!!!!
G's Baja Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/12, 05:53 PM   #2
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
I am leaning towards a 2x4 on the front, not the same as the rear 2x6, but I will add a skid plate on the bottom and a hoop for protecting my lights on the top. also the rear is intended to tow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frb.jpg (18.5 KB, 78 views)

EFI 5.0 HO GT40p, 4Rw/AOD, NP205, Aluminum radiator/oil cooler/mark viii fan, explorer belt drive, SupaDirt HB 4 wheel disc,23 gallon tank, 33" BFG KM2's w 4.10 gears, black leather, TWoods drive shaft dont Buy...Build!!!!
Old 06/18/12, 07:22 PM   #3
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
wow, 115 views and NO comments! amazing!

I measured the front and have decided to go with 2x6 after all. I will go buy the material in the am, and as my body recovers from the weekend, I will start the creation!

Old 06/18/12, 07:42 PM   #4
tcjones76

Tyngsboro, Ma

My Gallery
Are you planning for a winch mount on the front? That will really set the style for the rest of the bumper.

I have Warn 8274 and used the 2x4 extensions to the frame rails, a piece of 3/16" plate and an vertical mount from Warn mounted to the plate. I angled back some 2x4 pieces off the frame extensions. I still need to add a lower piece to protect the bottom of the radiator. Its kind of massive but it works.

76 Explorer, 302-2V, C4, D44 Detroit, 9" Lock-Rite, 2.5 lift, 33X12.5R15s on 15X8s Warn 8274.
tcjones76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/12, 08:26 PM   #5
hucklburry rev2

G, I don't think your shackles are gonna hold real well. Seriously though, nice job.
hucklburry rev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/12, 09:04 PM   #6
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucklburry rev2 View Post
G, I don't think your shackles are gonna hold real well. Seriously though, nice job.
jajaja, thanks, I tried duper glue but no luck.

in all seriousness, I ran out of drill bits, I got 3 new ones today. for the front I am going to ask the metal place if they can drill them for me. a real PITA, I am afraid to kill my drill, wish I had a drill press!

Thanks for the kudos.

Old 06/18/12, 09:05 PM   #7
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjones76 View Post
Are you planning for a winch mount on the front? That will really set the style for the rest of the bumper.

I have Warn 8274 and used the 2x4 extensions to the frame rails, a piece of 3/16" plate and an vertical mount from Warn mounted to the plate. I angled back some 2x4 pieces off the frame extensions. I still need to add a lower piece to protect the bottom of the radiator. Its kind of massive but it works.
no winch plans, all I do is desert wheeling and Tijuana pot holes! no need around here.

Old 06/18/12, 09:23 PM   #8
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
good choice on the 2x6, even on my samurai 2x4 looked real dinky.
73stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/12, 10:03 PM   #9
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stallion View Post
good choice on the 2x6, even on my samurai 2x4 looked real dinky.
yup, I agree, lets see if I get the piece in the AM, before work, a little sore and drained!

Old 06/19/12, 07:56 AM   #10
bsquared
Contributor

Houston

My Gallery
Garage
Can't help with the front bumper, but the attached might give some ideas for the tire carrier. If you have AutoCAD, you'll be able to do much better than I did with PowerPoint. (my AutoCAD seminar starts in Aug) I followed a design posted here by Mark.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...=143886&page=7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumper5.jpg (54.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Bumper6.jpg (41.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg BumperStrikeArea.jpg (60.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg SwingCatchLatches.jpg (49.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg SwingFinished.jpg (47.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg SwingFull.jpg (62.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg TireRack2.jpg (55.5 KB, 85 views)

1970 uncut, 96 Exploder 5.0L, ZF, NP205, 2" BL, 2.5 SL, Dana 44 w/ 76 Bronco discs
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/12, 08:05 AM   #11
lowbush
Contributor
Bronco Guru

St. Cloud, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
Can't help with the front bumper, but the attached might give some ideas for the tire carrier. If you have AutoCAD, you'll be able to do much better than I did with PowerPoint. (my AutoCAD seminar starts in Aug) I followed a design posted here by Mark.

Love the Bronco license plate you must have owned that thing (or another one) for quite a while to score that custom tag.
lowbush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/12, 08:12 AM   #12
Justafordguy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tallahassee

My Gallery
Garage
Your rear bumper turned out nice. I used the 2x6 for my front bumper but it's made for a winch so may not be what you're looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-29_08-39-43_129.jpg (77.1 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Justafordguy; 06/22/12 at 12:18 PM..

77 Bronco, 302, C4, PS, PB, A/C, 33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right, 9"/Grizzly locker.

2012 Raptor 6.2L 35" BFG KM2s
2005 F250 FX4 CC 6.0
2013 Edge
2 Mustangs
Justafordguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/12, 10:53 AM   #13
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
Cool thanks!!!!

Quote:

LOOKS AWESOME, THANKS, I will definitely borrow from your design. is that a front spindle of some kind?? I like the bearing idea!!

Old 06/19/12, 10:55 AM   #14
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
Cool Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justafordguy View Post
You rear bumper turned out nice. I used the 2x6 for my front bumper but it's made for a winch so may not be what you're looking for.
that looks beefy, I like it!

I bought the 2x6 tube and had them punch the 2 gusset holes on the 1x2 bar. I also bought a 2'x2' of 3/16 plate to make a skid plate!

I will borrow some from you design definitely.

Old 06/19/12, 11:02 AM   #15
G's Baja Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sunny SO CAL
Cool Autocad

Quote:

BTW, I Am and Autodesk certified instructor of both Autocad and Inventor! I worked for a reseller for 5 years and got certified as an "Expert" on both and Data management!

my creative artistic side comes out when I work on my Bronco! I had to make the bumpers simply as a conversational starter and for bragging rights! I like the idea of building not buying! JMHO

Let me know if you need any help on Autocad, I recommend you skip it and go directly to Inventor for mechanical design.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech