Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/22/12, 12:13 PM   #1
408Bronco
Contributor

If it has too much power, your to old!

Midwest
Garage
4x4x2 Power steering box

I see that Jeffs BG along with Wild Horses offers a mounting bracket (plate) for the 4x4x2 steering box, has anyone used one or the other and what one would you recomend.
408Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/12, 01:25 PM   #2
thegreatjustino
Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey

Wake up America. Before it's too late.

Stockton, CA
Garage
Where do you see the one Wildhorses sells? The only bracket I know of that they sell is the one for the 2wd box that goes on the inside of the frame.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product..._Steering_Kits

The one that Jeff's sells was originally developed by West Coast Broncos and is the most common bracket used for the 4x4x2 box.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...x-adapter.html

It's also common to simply drill new holes in the frame and don't use a bracket at all.

'When my Bronco is finished' is only a hypothetical statement.
thegreatjustino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/12, 02:46 PM   #3
br0nc0xrapt0r
Contributor
Loves pickles

Fueled by Hate, caffeine, and sometimes whiskey.

Kent City MI

My Gallery
I have been using this for 6 years with great success.

http://www.wcb4x4.com/mm5/merchant.m...egory_Code=STR

SEMPER FIDELIS

69 Exxon Valdez, 37" locked front and rear, Daily driver.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163762

WTB pulley cover for 1959 Homelite 9-23
br0nc0xrapt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/12, 04:15 PM   #4
408Bronco
Contributor

Midwest
Garage
You are correct Justin, after looking at it more I realized it is mounted on the inside, not the out side.
Old 06/22/12, 04:43 PM   #5
Desert Thrasher
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Its a Bronco, if I wanted a Hummer Id call your sister!

Escondido California

My Gallery
Garage
I am in the middle of doing my 4x4x2 box install and I used the frame reinforcement kit from BC.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/produ...roducts_id=331
Its not a direct bolt on, you have to drill 2 holes through the frame and remove the stock spacers inside the frame and replace them with some DOM spacers. The DOM spacers require customizing to fit also.

1966 5.13 gears 31spline BB9" Yukon Grizzly. D44 trutrac 35" BFG MTs Hybrid D20 Twinstick ZF 5 Speed 5.8 EFI Hydroboost 4x4x2 PS Custom Cage and Plate Front Bumper w/10k winch. Rear Bumper with Tire/fuel/Hi-lift Rack. BC 3.5" coils Spring Rockers, WH Leafs, 3" bodylift WH Front and Rear Shock Hoops
Desert Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/12, 05:16 PM   #6
JLBachs
Contributor

Lawrenceville, IL

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0nc0xrapt0r View Post
I have been using this for 6 years with great success.

http://www.wcb4x4.com/mm5/merchant.m...egory_Code=STR
I have this and also like it. Hasn't caused any problems at all. At the time I did it, I chose the bolt-on plate in case I ever wanted to put it back stock. After having this setup though, Oh no, there will be no going back.

1975 U15 explorer serp, 4x4x2ps conv., 1" WH b/l, 31-spline Yukons, traction-locks front and rear, F150 knuckles, roller 5.8 (sitting on the shop floor)
JLBachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/12, 05:31 PM   #7
sp71eb

North Liberty, Ia
Garage
I used the BC Bronco one and it fit great. Just put the bolts through the stock location and marked the other holes then drilled them. I kinda cheated and drilled the outside of the frame to the size of the spacers that come with the kit and beveled the edge of the spacer and burned them into the frame on one side. I still had to trim them a bit to get them to fit. Then I welded around the plate. Sorry only pics I have of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072.jpg (72.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 068.jpg (81.4 KB, 99 views)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
sp71eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/12, 06:49 PM   #8
408Bronco
Contributor

Midwest
Garage
Thanks for the great responces guys, im starting to lean towards the WCB set up. Could some one tell me how far down approximitly it drops the box rather than mounting in the near stock frame holes and how much room does it give you for attaching the fittings for the pump.
Old 06/23/12, 10:12 AM   #9
br0nc0xrapt0r
Contributor
Loves pickles

Fueled by Hate, caffeine, and sometimes whiskey.

Kent City MI

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Bronco View Post
Thanks for the great responces guys, im starting to lean towards the WCB set up. Could some one tell me how far down approximitly it drops the box rather than mounting in the near stock frame holes and how much room does it give you for attaching the fittings for the pump.
I made one small notch in the core support. Outside of that everything was easy and presented no challenge. I recommend attaching the hoses to the box before you bolt it in.

SEMPER FIDELIS

69 Exxon Valdez, 37" locked front and rear, Daily driver.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163762

WTB pulley cover for 1959 Homelite 9-23
br0nc0xrapt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/12, 09:51 PM   #10
PDQ

For those using the WCB/ JBG adapter plate, are you still running fenderwells? And if so did you have to dimple or notch the drivers side to make room for the steering shaft u-joint and shaft? I just put mine in and it looks like that will have to be done unless there's another trick?

Also, are you all running the non-indexed pitman arm too or is there a way around that?

Thanks, good info.
PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/12, 10:27 PM   #11
chuck
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Ingram, Texas
eBay: bcbroncos
What ever you buy be sure to install new frame spacers. If not the bolts will pull through the frame

BC Broncos, making Innovative ideas reality.
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/12, 11:08 AM   #12
allenfahey
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
Garage
I recently bought the WCB adapter plate and it is drilled wrong to the box. I have 2 79 Bronco boxes and neither one of them will bolt onto the bracket. Did any of you guys have to egg out the box holes for it to bolt on? For the money spent it should bolt in without egging out the box bolt holes.

73 fiberglass, D60's f&r with ARB's, 5.5 lift, 435/203/D20, Cage SAS arms, Astro hydro boost, H1 re-centered rims, ect...
allenfahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/12, 01:18 PM   #13
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
I used the WCB adapter earlier this year when I rebuilt the front suspension, but I bought it at least a year and a half, maybe two, years ago.

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
70_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/12, 02:50 PM   #14
408Bronco
Contributor

Midwest
Garage
I ended up going with the JBG one, still waiting on it to arrive to my door. Has anyone mounted this by notching out the frame for this to fit in flush with frame rails, would be welded in along with still using the bolts, but just wondering what your thought are about doing it this way.
Old 07/04/12, 03:10 PM   #15
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Bronco View Post
I ended up going with the JBG one, still waiting on it to arrive to my door. Has anyone mounted this by notching out the frame for this to fit in flush with frame rails, would be welded in along with still using the bolts, but just wondering what your thought are about doing it this way.
If you were going to go to the trouble of notching out the frame, then why bother with the adapter? If you cut open the frame, move the holes and frame spacers to the proper position for the 4x4x2 box, reenforce the frame and be done with it.

I don't think it would be a good idea to just have the box bolted to only one side of the frame. Even the stock box mounting took advantage of the full structure of the frame. Imagine the box stressing just one side of the frame.

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
70_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech