Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/27/12, 11:09 AM   #1
DonsBolt
Bronco Guru

Chestnut Hill, Mass

My Gallery
Question School me on bellhousings, and clutch forks

Hey guys looks like I got to pull my trans due to a throwout bearing thats making noises

My current setupwith my nv3550 and Ford racing 5 liter uses the older style bail wire clutch fork. I know there is a clip style clutch fork, and I can buy one of them along twith the clip for it. which is what I may end up doing.

Though I also saw a totally different setup at a speed shop the other day. I think it was from a late model mustang, as it had a ford stamping on the bellhousing. This one had a ball style pivot on the clutch fork, on the right side of the bellhousing and looks like a lot better design.

So here are my questions
If I convert my bellhousing to a clip style clutch fork, what all is involved, and do the holes for the bracket for the wire type line up.

Also I am wondering if a later model F150 4x4 say from the late 80's with a 5 liter and a standard trans would have the other type of clutch fork, and if it will work with the stock bronco clutch linkage, or do I have to go with a haydrolic slave cylinder??

I have a feeling my issue is due to the wire type clutch fork, and thinking the clip type or a later model setup my solve my issues

any feedback is appreciated

1977 Bronco Ford Racing 5 Liter NV3550 456 Gears - 3.5 Suspension 35's
2011 RoushCharged Mustang GT 5.0 527RWHP

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush
DonsBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/12, 07:13 PM   #2
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
The late model mustang bellhousing most likely tilts the transmission and I believe the transmission bolt pattern is a little different as well. probably wont work with your 3550 adapter plate.
Any the other bellhousings you mentioned will work the mid 80's truck type may have hydraulic slave cylinder but you can still use stock bronco linkage might have to fab up a bracket for the equalizer bar but it shouldnt be a issue. truck bellhousings from the 300 6cyl 302 and 351W will all interchange.
as for other 302 bellhousings well just make sure its the large bellhousing so your 164tooth flywheel and 11in clutch will fit. A lot of cars had the 157 tooth bellhousings a lot of them tned to be aluminum.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
broncnaz is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech