Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 08/05/12, 12:13 PM   #1
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Speedometer Question

Kevin of Classy Chassis Restorations did a phenomenal job refurbishing my cluster. I just drove the Bronco for the first time and the odometer works, but not the speedometer. I opened it up and poked around and spun the unit with my drill. Speedometer and odometer both working. My drill spins at 32MPH in case you need to know that.

Put it all back together and tested again to make sure it still works - yep.

Installed back in Bronco and again, the odometer works but not the speedometer.

Any ideas?
Schenkapotomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/12, 12:26 PM   #2
LTL4life
Contributor

The FROZEN TURDRA

My Gallery
Did it work before? What shape is the cable in? Try putting some graphite lube down the cable and make sure the end is fully into the speedo head.

Mark.O
LTL4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/12, 06:01 PM   #3
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL4life View Post
Did it work before? What shape is the cable in? Try putting some graphite lube down the cable and make sure the end is fully into the speedo head.

The cable is new and this is the first time since being rebuilt. It worked prior to the rebuild on a different cable.

does the fitting on the cable get fully seated to the speedometer?
Old 08/05/12, 06:34 PM   #4
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ride like the wind bullseye

North MS.

My Gallery
Garage
Sounds like your gear might be the prob? Or try the old cable?? I would only snug the fitting up hand tight at the speedo..

half cab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/12, 07:05 PM   #5
NicksTrix
Bronco Guru

Dream Big

lake norman, nc
eBay: NicksTrix
try loosening the cable up so it's not as deep into the speedo head. some of the replacement cables are a tad long and need to trim 1/8" off the core.

NicksTrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/12, 08:27 PM   #6
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksTrix View Post
try loosening the cable up so it's not as deep into the speedo head. some of the replacement cables are a tad long and need to trim 1/8" off the core.

I can understand the speedo working and odometer not. but not the other way around. They both work off of the cable. I trimmed a bit off the end of the cable and shoved it back in. As far as seating - I was not referring to the nut that holds the cable on, but rather there is a flange of some sort on the cable itself. For me, this does not seat against the speedometer but is rather 1/8" out, unless the nut seats it.

Will drive it again tomorrow.
Old 08/05/12, 09:36 PM   #7
NicksTrix
Bronco Guru

Dream Big

lake norman, nc
eBay: NicksTrix
you can pull the head back out, open it up and check the tooth engagement of the odo unit.
these things are finicky

NicksTrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/12, 10:25 PM   #8
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenkapotomus View Post
phenomenal job
Guess the job wasnt so phenomenal. Most likely something is tweaked in the speedometer section or the magnet is weak and not pulling the needle up like it should.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
broncnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/12, 09:10 PM   #9
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
I can understand the speedo working and odometer not. but not the other way around. They both work off of the cable. I trimmed a bit off the end of the cable and shoved it back in. As far as seating - I was not referring to the nut that holds the cable on, but rather there is a flange of some sort on the cable itself. For me, this does not seat against the speedometer but is rather 1/8" out, unless the nut seats it.

Will drive it again tomorrow.
I trimmed 1/8" off the cable and it finally fits properly into the gauge. I removed the cable from the transfer case and spun the cable with the gear in place with my drill. Both speedo and odometer are working. This is a new gear and rebuild transfer case.

Reinstalled and drove around the block and I only get odometer. The gear seems fully inserted to the transfer case, what gives?
Old 08/13/12, 08:05 PM   #10
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
I trimmed 1/8" off the cable and it finally fits properly into the gauge. I removed the cable from the transfer case and spun the cable with the gear in place with my drill. Both speedo and odometer are working. This is a new gear and rebuild transfer case.

Reinstalled and drove around the block and I only get odometer. The gear seems fully inserted to the transfer case, what gives?
Further info - I put the original cable back in with the original gear - it does seat better to the transfer case. I can't spin the cable by hand when it is in the TC so I know the gear is engaged. I can make speedo/odo work with the gear end of the cable chocked in my drill so I know the cable is fully inserted to the gauge. But still only odo when I drive it around.

No one has a clue?
Old 08/13/12, 10:50 PM   #11
BronCowie
Contributor
Bronco Dawg

Hillsboro, OR

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
...No one has a clue?
Pick up the phone and cal Kevin. He will bend over backwards to get this right.

Defend Our Constitution!

'69 Sport daily driver since 1993. Manual Steering, Manual Drum Brakes, Manual Choke, Pull For Heat, Alice Turn Signals and much more.
BronCowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/12, 10:25 AM   #12
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Solved!

it was the clock spring on the back of the speedometer that returns the needle to 0. It was 1/2 turn too tight. If I had gotten the Bronco up to about 70 MPH it would have registered about 10MPH. Now just need to find the sweet spot on tension to get it as accurate as possible.
Old 08/15/12, 10:59 AM   #13
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
So your drill really spins about 210 mph?

74 Sport U151, 5.0 must-plorer EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Viperwolf1 is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech