Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 12/01/12, 06:48 AM   #1
lasadoor

slow and steady, slow and steady

San Diego
eliminate auxillary fuel tank

i would like to remove the aux tank and run a new line from main tank to fuel pump. I'm on the fence about replacing aux tank in future so I plan to keep any decent looking parts. Are there any parts I should leave in place or can I run one line from tank to pump? And what size fuel line should I use (stock tank, mechanical pump)? what about holding the line to the frame?

Beauty is in the eye of the Bronco owner
lasadoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 06:58 AM   #2
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ride like the wind bullseye

Smrtaz, MS.

My Gallery
Garage
I would just plug off the aux line and leave everything in place(keep valve switched to main) sence you may replace the aux tank in the future.What ever you do don't plug off the evap/charcoal can. line or you will be sitting at the gas pump along time trying to fill up.

half cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 07:04 AM   #3
OX1
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Jackson, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasadoor View Post
i would like to remove the aux tank and run a new line from main tank to fuel pump. I'm on the fence about replacing aux tank in future so I plan to keep any decent looking parts. Are there any parts I should leave in place or can I run one line from tank to pump? And what size fuel line should I use (stock tank, mechanical pump)? what about holding the line to the frame?
If your not sure that you might put it back, just leave stock line and don't switch valve to aux position. If you are pulling all the lines out no matter what, I'd use 3/8 steel (or aluminum) line with short rubber connections at fuel tank and pump. Also acceptable to put a short rubber section in center of fuel line (somewhere well protected against abrasion, especially if you wheel it), only if you have to, to get it to fit.

See this thread also, as many have used some form of plastic line (this thread also details suggestions for frame clips).

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206372

70 Sport 302/T-18/D20-T, BB 31 spl LS 9" w/ yukons, MK VII rear disks, disk D44 w/ lockrite, 3.5" CAGE/Deaver lift, full length headers/duals, 78 col/steer box, stang HB
79 400/C6/205, mog 404's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 07:23 AM   #4
bronconut73
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
3/8 to 1/2 inch insulated clamps screwed to the frame with self tappers holding Earls stainless steel braided -6 AN fuel line from tank to pump.

'73, 2.5" sl, XL RS9000's, F-250 mounts, WH 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, C-4, TBP twin sticked Dana 20, P.S., built 351W, Detroits & 4.11's, front & rear WH axles, Yukon Super joints, Wrap Trap, Chevy front disc, BC rear disc, BC Vintage a/c, WH Procar 2000 seats, Alpine/Pioneer, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 08:03 AM   #5
lasadoor

slow and steady, slow and steady

San Diego
frame clips was my next question. thanks for the responses

Beauty is in the eye of the Bronco owner
lasadoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 12:07 PM   #6
75junebug
Contributor

Whoops, did I do that?

NW Houston Tx

My Gallery
BC broncos has a 3/8 fuel line kit with frame fasteners and all. I would bypass the whole fuel selector due to possible air/fuel leaks. Keep the components for the aux tank. Consider getting a 23 gal tank for the rear, and maybe use the aux tank as an emergency transfer tank. You could do this by simply routing a switched electric fuel pump and line back to a return line/ventline found on the 23 gal aftermarket tanks.

75 Bronco 351 Q-jet, HEI dizzy 435 tranny 3.5WH lift, 2"body lift 35" BFG KM 2's, 4.11 gearing, twin stick, Power disc front conversion,
75junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 12:20 PM   #7
TBS-POPS
Bronco Guru

ALL my drinking buddies have a severe bronco problem!!

valley springs, ca

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by half cab View Post
I would just plug off the aux line and leave everything in place(keep valve switched to main) sence you may replace the aux tank in the future.What ever you do don't plug off the evap/charcoal can. line or you will be sitting at the gas pump along time trying to fill up.
The evap/char system has nothing to do with venting the tank to aid in fuel fill ups. Thats what the 1/2'' vent line is for comming out of the later tanks was for. The early tanks had a prob because this vent hose was absent. The 1/8'' spaghetti lines for the evap system would not flow enough air to vent the tank upon fill up.

Run 3/8'' line if you can then you dont have to worry about any fuel supply problems in the future. Rubber dipped clamps and self tappers to frame hold nice.

WWW.NORCALBRONCOS.COM 72, TBI 302, 435,20,FW44&9,4.56 w/pl&arb,2" & 5.5" on 37's.SOLD Broncoless for now
Broncos are like BOOBS, There always better after they've been worked on..
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 02:48 PM   #8
half cab
Contributor
equestrian patcher

ride like the wind bullseye

Smrtaz, MS.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
The evap/char system has nothing to do with venting the tank to aid in fuel fill ups. Thats what the 1/2'' vent line is for comming out of the later tanks was for. The early tanks had a prob because this vent hose was absent. The 1/8'' spaghetti lines for the evap system would not flow enough air to vent the tank upon fill up.

Run 3/8'' line if you can then you dont have to worry about any fuel supply problems in the future. Rubber dipped clamps and self tappers to frame hold nice.
I'm only speaking from my own experence....

My cannister line on my '76 got blocked just under the pass floor where it crosses over and up the frame to the firewall...Hardly would fill up at the station....check the filler neck return and it was ok...unstopped the charcoal can line and all was well???

I don't know...like I said"speaking from my own experences"

Also I have over filled before and had gas spill just past the T where they (aux/main/evap) lines meet cause of bad hose9cracked),but would gas go up this far in the cannister line?

Last edited by half cab; 12/01/12 at 03:11 PM..

half cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/12, 11:15 PM   #9
patterdale

The avatar reflects light tan color and name of bronco.

Hudson
Garage
Why would you want to limit your range so much? Unless you replace the main with a 23 gallon tank you can only go about 150 miles. If money is a problem in replacing the tank just pull it and plug the lines untill you replace it. I would give my left arm for and Aux tank as Elmer is an original stock 12? gallon tank with no auxillary.

One of my favorite bumper stickers:"If you don't stop tailgating me I'll whip a booger on your windshield" There's room for all God's creatures-On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.
patterdale is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech