Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 12/11/12, 10:53 AM   #1
JohnJohn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

77 Ranger Frame Off

Leesburg, VA

My Gallery
Garage
map gas vs oxy-acetylene

I am piecing together an oxy-acetylene torch but I don't have the tanks yet.

I need to bend one of my twin sticks that is made out of 1/2 thick round steel.
Can a yellow map gas tank heat it up enough to bend or should I just put the stick in my bench vice and put my floor jack tube over it and pull?

77 Ranger 5 year frame off nut and bolt restoration by me with EFI, 4.11s, Cage 3.5" lift 2" body lift, MTZ 35s on 17" Allied Monster Beadlocks, Duff Long Arms, BC TRO, Kiser Riser, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch. 1970 Trail rig with 33's, long arms, 302, 3 speed manual, AKA the Skunk.
JohnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 11:18 AM   #2
garberz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
I bent mine in the vise, it didn't take much to bend it. You certainly wont need heat.

EFI, OBDII, 5.0
garberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 11:20 AM   #3
70_Steve
Contributor
Old Guy

If You're Going to Do It, Over-do It

Phoenix, AZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
I am piecing together an oxy-acetylene torch but I don't have the tanks yet.

I need to bend one of my twin sticks that is made out of 1/2 thick round steel.
Can a yellow map gas tank heat it up enough to bend or should I just put the stick in my bench vice and put my floor jack tube over it and pull?
Yes either way. I suspect you don't have to bend the shift lever much. So, it really doesn't need the heat. But if you did heat it, you might notice it bends easier. The MAPP gas would probably get it hot enough.

I bent my Hurst 3-speed shifter using MAPP gas. I don't think it ever got red, but it bent where I heated it.

It scares me that you're "piecing together" a blue tip wrench...

'70 Sport, 351W EFI, NV4500, D20 w/Teralows, 4.56s Dana 44 w/Ox and 9" 31 spline Detroit, 35" KM2's, 3 1/2" lift, 2" body lift, 4x4x2 PS, some other stuff I forgot about...

"If it's got tits or tires it's gonna be a problem"
70_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 11:28 AM   #4
JohnJohn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

77 Ranger Frame Off

Leesburg, VA

My Gallery
Garage
Thanks guys. I will just try to bend it. I all ready shortened it and welded it back together but it is just a hair off from the other shifter.

I bought a oxy-acetylene torch kit from Lowes last year but just don't want to buy the $600 in tanks and the $100 cart just yet.

77 Ranger 5 year frame off nut and bolt restoration by me with EFI, 4.11s, Cage 3.5" lift 2" body lift, MTZ 35s on 17" Allied Monster Beadlocks, Duff Long Arms, BC TRO, Kiser Riser, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch. 1970 Trail rig with 33's, long arms, 302, 3 speed manual, AKA the Skunk.
Old 12/11/12, 11:44 AM   #5
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
eBay: ford_bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
Thanks guys. I will just try to bend it. I all ready shortened it and welded it back together but it is just a hair off from the other shifter.

I bought a oxy-acetylene torch kit from Lowes last year but just don't want to buy the $600 in tanks and the $100 cart just yet.
Just as an aside...my company has something like a dozen different gas bottles and we own not one; we found leasing to be more cost-effective and convenient than owning; if you own your tanks and intend to keep the ones you bought, you can't simply exchange them for full when empty. If you do go ahead and willingly exchange tanks you "own" for full ones, then you need to look at the payback period for the rent-vs-buy costs.

And then there are the periodic certs to deal with..and it was those as much as anything that prompted us to go all-leased about 15 years ago.

'69 w/ Oz-408, T-18/NP-205, D44/ARB, D60 Detroit
39.5 IROK Radials/Champion Beadlocks
Hydroboost- F-250 dual-piston frt disk/ F-250 drum
bmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 11:47 AM   #6
RIbronco

In a constant state of fix

Costa Mesa, CA
A MAP-Pro torch should be able to get hot enough. I've brazed steel with it, but it will take a little while to get the part glowing red. You'll get more BTU out of a larger torch head, so get the larger version.

On a side note, MAPP gas is no longer produced. The stuff in the the yellow bottles is MAP-Pro, which is just propylene. Propylene is a little hotter than propane, but not much. If you're shopping for a torch that puts out significantly more heat than a standard propane torch, skip the MAP-Pro, spend a few extra dollars and buy a small oxy / fuel gas kit.

Rust is just a form of weight reduction....right?
RIbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 11:49 AM   #7
broncosbybart
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Is it 5 YET???

Charlotte NC
I don't (and won't) own a torch setup. They can be dangerous if someone uses it without knowing how. They also will leave nothing left in the event of a shop fire. So far, I have been able to do everything I've needed to with a grinder/plasma/map torch.

That said, the MAP will get it plenty hot enough to bend.
broncosbybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 12:10 PM   #8
xcntrk
Bronco Guru

NOVA

My Gallery
Garage
I used MAP gas on mine. Takes a good 5 min to get hot enough but will go bright red all the way through...

But as others have said, now I bend with no heat and instead use my 12 ton press....

1966 Wagon, 302, nv3550, teralow gears, D44 w/E-locker, 9" w/truetrac, 2.5" susp, bilstein 7100's, 33x12.5, x4 disc brakes.
xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 01:47 PM   #9
JohnJohn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

77 Ranger Frame Off

Leesburg, VA

My Gallery
Garage
Thanks for the reminder Anthony. I have a 12 ton press in the corner of my garage that I total forgot about.

Fire is always more fun but I guess I will stick with the press this time.

Old 12/11/12, 05:01 PM   #10
shamu
Contributor
Lucky as the day is long.

Sachse,Tx

My Gallery
Garage
Have you cked out home depot for buying Oxy Acetlyne bottles. I have two sets of bottles at my house (out side) and I use them frequently. I also take them on most of the outings, along with a MIG welder and a Bobcat welder to power the Mig. Like said they can be dangerous, but they make life easy.

Hopper
shamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 05:21 PM   #11
00gyrhed
Contributor
Bronco Guru

whoooooooooooooop!!!!

Sunnyvale, TX

My Gallery
Map gas with the right torch head will do it. you can bend it without heat but if you want a nice clean tight bend heat it cherry red and it will look bettter.

71, 393 roller cam EFI, 700R4, D44, F9, ARB front and rear, on board air, Twin Stick, Cruise Control, P255/85/16 BFG M/T, Custom Plate Bumpers, spare tire carrier, custom floor, 2 inch susp, 2 inch body lift, Blah, Blah, Blah.
00gyrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/12, 06:03 PM   #12
blazinchuck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"American by birth, Southern by the grace of God"

Johns Is,SC
eBay: chas5937

My Gallery
I always use the quick trigger/map gas setup I got from lowes to bend twin sticks and similar metal stock. Works good!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,front4.56/Electrac,rear4.56Posi,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked,chromos and 33"MT's"Fat Bottom Girl"

CarolinaBroncosMember/G.D.I.
blazinchuck is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech