Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 03/03/13, 06:31 AM   #1
rguest3
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sarasota, Florida
Garage
Upgraded To Power Disc Brakes

I have restored many Early Broncos and the story remains the same. Upgrading to Power Disc Brakes is the best Modification / Improvement you can do to your Bronco. Whether street driven, off road or whatever, PDB are #1 on my list. When looking for a Bronco I usually start with the 76-77 models for the disc brake setup among other things.

I have a very clean 69 which had the stock Drums front and rear. Upon inspection prior to taking apart, both front and rear Drums were in great shape and the front was virtually brand new. Even so, I knew it could be much better without having to stand on the brake pedal.

I know that all vendors sell Power Brake systems but I installed Tom's Power Booster/Bracket/MC/Lines and Proportioning Valve and Disc Brakes conversion from an eBay vendor. Could not have had better results.

The Brake feel now is night and day difference. I actually had to be careful and get used to the immediate response. Feels like a new car brakes system to me now.

Anyway, for those of you considering a Power Disc Brake conversion, I say do it. It will be the best improvement you can make to your Early Bronco. The safety factor just went up as well... Peace of mind to me.

Happy Building!

1977 - Ford Estate Green (ST) - Frame Off In The Works - GT-40 EFI, 351w, AOD, PS, PDB, 4.56
1969 - U14 Half Cab, LUBR - 3 1/2" WH Lift, US Mags / 31s, 347, PS, PDB.
rguest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/13, 07:52 AM   #2
joshnjulie1
Contributor

My wife thinks it's part her's and my daughter thinks she will inherit it. HAHA

Moreno Valley, Ca
That's funny. I was just having this conversation with my buddy when he took my EB for a spin around the block last night. He has an older J##p w/ power steering/discs and you should have seen the look on his face when he returned. If he had such a hard time, I started thinking about what kind of hard time my wife will have if she ever decides she wants to take it for a spin. My concern for safety is now elevated as I think I might have to start looking for a disc brake system and power steering.
I believe I have the same as you. Great brake system all new all drum '69. But yeah, standing on the brakes is no fun.
So you are a fan of TBP's system?
joshnjulie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/13, 09:03 AM   #3
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
All the vendors have great kits but they are "expensive". You can piece it all together individually and save some cash but in the end the pre-engineered kits are "uber" convenient and come with nice instructions.

73 Wagon, 3.5" sl, long RS9000's, BC F-250 mounts, WH 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, C-4, TBP twin sticked Dana 20, P.S., built 351W, Detroits and G2 4.11 gears, front & rear WH axles, Yukon Super joints, BC 4 wheel disc, BC Vintage a/c, WH Procar 2000 seats, Alpine/Pioneer, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/13, 09:15 AM   #4
wheelsblank27

Spooning leads to Forking!

Garage
Uh, that's like just your opinion man. Ive had drums w a power booster since I got my 68' , I drive my brothers 74 w hydro boost frequently and used to drive my dads 71' stroppe, without booster (scary). hydro boost is almost to much... My truck w 33' s and a booster stops just right. You must have had good power steering on all your rigs , cause that's #1 for sure if runnin anything larger than 31" tires
wheelsblank27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/13, 10:15 AM   #5
greatguy57078
Contributor
Bronco Guru

DEAR LORD...If you won't make me skinny...please make ALL my friends fat.

SOUTH DAKOTA

My Gallery
Garage
I have a '68 Bronco that had the Dana 30 under it and drums. Seems that thing would always pull one way or the other and even worse when the brakes in wet conditions. I swapped out that 30 with a '77 disc brake 44 and power vacuum. Night and day difference. Of course that is what I felt I had to do in my opinion, as I went to 33x12.5s at that same time.

I have recently considered going hydro boost but right now my old '68 halfcab stops much better than my wife's 2010 Dodge Caliber. If not your first conversion, this should definitely be your second from a safety standpoint.

1968 Halfcab "Ol' Red" - KickAss Bronco Chopped Halfcab 4.6 DOHC 4 Link Rear Street Rod Project
greatguy57078 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech