• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Grandfathers 1974 Bronco (FOUND!)

mbspark

I originally posted this about 6 months ago in the classifieds section.
Another member suggested I try posting this in the main general forum here, so that's what I'm doing.

I'm trying to track down my grandfathers 1974 Bronco.

Recent news since I posted 6 months ago...I was able to find out that it is still actively registered in Vermont, in a town call Castleton. I called a few Mechanics & Auto Parts stores figuring I could spark some memory on seeing it around town. I thought those guys would be better than most to notice an old bronco driving around. The bronco didn't ring a bell to anyone. I thought for sure I would get a hit as I guess Castleton is a very small town and that Bronco would stick out. My search continues. Below is the content of my original post. My story was also posted on Hemmings Auto Blog, but nothing has come of that thus far.
----

I know some of these forums have people that have been active members for years, so hoping that maybe the following story may jog a memory.

The Bronco started in Central PA (Harrisburg). My Grandfather bought it new in 1974. He passed away in 1998, and in 2002, my grandma sold it for $3,500. It was uncut, (37,000 original miles) Brown with the orange detailed trim lines.

I was in college at the time and couldn't afford to house the vehicle, pay for college, and pay for my daily driver vehicle all at the same time. In 2008, I started a mission to track it down. I apparently created an account to this forum back on July 2nd, 2008 when I was in the thick of my hunt. I got the VIN from my grandma, and tracked the bronco from PA --> Kansas --> Michigan --> Vermont. I ended up finding it on Ebay in Vermont. The guy selling it wanted $35,000 for it. Which I thought was astronomical for a vehicle 6 years earlier sold for 3,500. I know some things were done to it, like adding A-C. The 3 on the tree was converted to automatic

After talking it over with family, we thought my grandfather would be more upset if he were alive, to find out that we spent so much money to buy it back into the family. I moved on with my life. Here I am 4 years later, settled in Colorado, married and secure in life. I'm trying to track it down again, but the notebook that I had written all the names and numbers from 2008 was thrown away somewhere with the moving I have done over the last 4 years. That brings me back to square one.

If anyone can remember a 1974 Bronco Ranger, Brown, being sold in Vermont From 2008 until now or can provide any information, it would be greatly appreciated!

If there is any other info I can provide that may help my search or help others help me with my search, please respond and let me know!

Thank you!!

4-Bronco7.jpg

3-Bronco5.jpg

2-Bronco4.jpg

1-Bronco3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mbspark

mbspark

My Grandfathers 1974 Bronco (re-post)

I think I'm right on the verge!

I have been speaking with folks all over the Castleton / Rutland Area in Vermont. A lot of great folks up there!

Got the number of a guy they think has it. Going to try and call now.

Hope I have good news to report!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I think I'm right on the verge!

I have been speaking with folks all over the Castleton / Rutland Area in Vermont. A lot of great folks up there!

Got the number of a guy they think has it. Going to try and call now.

Hope I have good news to report!

>nods< Keep us posted.

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, this is soooo exciting. Please post back!! I know you will, just wanted to say it. Super cool.

OP
OP
mbspark

mbspark

Answering machine.

Hoping for a call back or will try again tomorrow :)

OP
OP
mbspark

mbspark

Yes, this is soooo exciting. Please post back!! I know you will, just wanted to say it. Super cool.

Very exciting! Your post is what sparked me to push forward again!

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Answering machine of course!! Every other Broncoless perons you called up there probably answered the phone on the first ring!!;D Seems like you are close!! Good luck!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist

Hope the current owner didn't pay the 35k for it. If he got it for a reasonable price maybe you can as well! Good luck In your quest.

OP
OP
mbspark

mbspark

FOUND IT!!!!

The guy called me and sure enough, my Grandpa's name listed right on his paper work as the very first owner!!

The current owner and I talked for quite a bit, he is a very very nice man and I exchanged emails so we an pass photos back and forth.

He said he is willing to sell it someday and I think he plans to talk things over with his wife and see if we could work out a figure.

This is such an amazing day! I don't feel like this is really happening. Totally did not expect in the same day from submitting this re-post that I would be commenting that I found it already!

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
We're all waiting in anticipation of what he days. Hopefully he won't take advantage of you because of the situation. Keep us posted, really exciting.

matts460

This is sooo awsome to read! Just remmember the Bronco wont replace your grandpa and if the current owner cant work out a fair deal then mabey at the very least a road trip is in order to see it again after all these years. My wife and i are curious as to why your Grandma couldnt have held on to it for you awhile since you clearly wanted to own it? $3500 not really alot of money. kinda reminds me why my parents have already put some of there stuff in mine and my sisters name or possesion due to other greedy relitives and half sibilings. lol We too have Muscle car family members that we hope dont leave the family accedently.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Congrats on finding it! Its an awesome feeling to find the old family Bronco. I hope it works out for you to have it back.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
3500 in 2002 is the part that makes me cry. Just 11 years later, if it is in the shape you're showing, is going for 15+

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats!! So happy to hear the good news and how fast it turned around. I sure hope he's willing to sell it. So where are the pics...is he sending some? We need them like yesterday.

Super Cool. :cool::cool: