• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CO My 1994 Bronco Solid Axle, ARB's, Custom Bumpers, 37's +

Status
Not open for further replies.

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Although it pains me to do so, its time for my full-size to go to a new home. I will miss the full-size however I no longer have the room or time to play with her. I have recently acquired another built Early Bronco and I just finished restoring a 76 - I'm just out of room. I live in the city and 1 full-size plus 2 early broncos plus 2 cars is pushing it.. someone is going to get a great bronco.

I'm asking $8500 or any reasonable offer.

Overview:
My 94 has undergone many changes but all throughout the transformation I have taken extraordinary good care of her. From changing fluids, to watching temps, I have replaced parts as they needed.. and some when they might not have been ready but they made it more reliable and drivable. I have wrestled with mysterious problems and overcame great obstacles to make her what she is today.. she's not the fastest, she's not the biggest but she is one of the most capable, dependable and handsomest Broncos out there.

I built her to take me into the backcountry and bring me back. I wanted something to tackle trough trails, snow bash, rock climb, camp for 5 days then drive 500 miles home without a problem.. she has more than lived up to that task. I wanted something that if trouble arose I would be able to get myself or someone else out.. and it has done that as well - many, many times.

Anyway lets get to the nitty gritty.. I will try to be as honest and open about the Bronco as I can. If you have any questions please let me know.

I'm selling my 1994 Fullsize Bronco XL that start life as a fire truck in Payson Arizona and was bought by one of my best friends whom I bought it from. It that has undergone many upgrades including a solid axle swap a few years ago. I have not skimped on cheap parts, I wanted this truck to be reliable and solid.. it never let me down. I will try to list out what I have done or replaced but I'm sure I will forget a few things. Most of the fabrication work was completed by Hefty Fabworks. Allot of it is one of a kind, you would be hard pressed to find better craftsmanship or attention to detail in many of the parts on this rig.

Because of the solid axle swap and 8 lug Chevy conversion I removed most of the Antilock braking components, i cannot add them back. In addition I unplugged the drivers side air bag, but will plug it back in when it is purchased, its up to the buyer to disable it.

Here is a partial parts list, I haven't listed every detail but you can view my solid axle swap thread to see whats been done for the most part.

Solid Axle thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176522

Engine
I made pretty much every upgrade you could to the 302 without tearing into the engine itself. Its a great engine and very reliable, great gas milage for rolling on 37's (13.5 MPG last time I checked on the highway) and honestly in 4lo it will go pretty much anywhere. Has 113K original miles, I would trust it to take me from coast to coast and back again, it runs strong and smooth.
All the original emissions equipment is still on the truck and functional.. this includes the catalytic convertor and air pump
This is a mass air truck - means easier upgrades, including a future 351w swap if you so desire.
6 liter tuneup
Brand new high output MSD ignition
Brand new spark plugs
1" phenolic spacer under upper intake
Replaced Fuel pressure regulator
Replaced Fuel Injectors
replaced O2 sensor
New water pump and stock temp thermostat
Replaced starter not long ago.
Diehard Marine Marine Battery 1150 Cranking Amps with custom battery hold down, size 31M - warranty still on it
3G alternator upgrade with 2 gauge wiring.
Engine does not smoke I check oil pretty religiously, it does have a slight main rear seal leak so I keep an eye on the oil level.
I did an engine compression test not too long ago and it came out close to spec.
Custom Cold Air scoop on driver side fender.. picture below

Exhaust
Bassani stainless steel Y pipe into fully custom 3" high flow cat into 2.5" Muffler exit rear corner under steel bumper (really nice setup)

Transmission/Transfercase/Drivetrain
E40D Overdrive transmission - rebuilt by ford with new internals
Borg and Warner 1356 Transfer Case (manual not auto) - rebuilt by ford
Front driveshaft is a 1350 High angle CV jointed shaft
Rear driveshaft is a 1330 high angle CV jointed shaft - the rear is setup for a 1350 all you have to do is swap one in. (Flanges on the TC case and rear Dana 60 pinion)

I have replaced both the transmission and transfer case about 5-6000 miles ago. The rebuilt E40D transmission and manual Borg and Warner 1356 came rebuilt from Ford. I have used a transmission cooler ever since the rebuild.

Both driveshafts have been rebuilt within the last 4000 miles. The front shaft probably has less than 500 miles on it, I had it custom made after the solid axle swap.

Front End
Solid Axle Dana 44 out of a 1978 bronco - axle moved 1" forward
4.88 gears
ARB locker
Rockcrusher Dana44 cover
Axle is fully trussed, housing is welded to the axle tubes, all the plug welds have been re-welded.
Balljoints replaced about 500-800 miles ago (napa gold balljoints)
New Dana 44 inner seals. replaced about 1-2000 miles ago.
Brake pads replaced about 1-2000 miles ago
8 lug 1 ton chevy conversion from the knuckles out (8x6.5 bolt pattern)
Knuckles are Chevy flat top knuckles with high steer arms.
Big bearing spindles
8 lug 1 ton chevy conversion (all four corners use the same calipers, rotors and pads)
Warn premium Hubs
Custom made EXTRA heavy duty radius arms. You will NOT find a beefier long arm than these. You can put the entire weight of the truck on one arm with full confidence.
Bronco will turn on a dime. At full lock there is slight rub on the lower radius bar… but just a touch.
7/8" Ruffstuff Heat & Cryo Treated Rod Ends
Ruff stuff rod ends for track bar ends
7 degree radius arm bushings
Royal Purple gear oil used in front end

Rear Axle
Fullfloat Dana 60 from a 1999 E250
4.88 gears
ARB Airlocker
35 Spline Moser axle shafts
Chevy 8 lug disc brake conversion
Pinon flange disc setup for a1350 driveshaft
Rock crusher Dana60 cover
All new seals and bearings installed
Royal Purple gear oil used in rear end

Suspension
Front Deaver 6" lift coils
Custom adjustable coil towers
Custom Front shock hoop, will accept two shocks if needed.
Rear 6" leaf springs (unsure who made them, they are 5 or 7 leaves)
Bilstein 7100 Front Shocks, i have had them re-valved for the spring rate and weight of the front end
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks

I have had the Bilstein 7100's re-valved a few times and have the shock Dyno sheets as well as extra valving disks if you need them.

Steering
Saginaw Canned ham style PS pump with stainless steel back plate to accept -6an fitting and extra fluid
PSC hydroassist steering ram
PSC high pressure hoses
Freshly rebuilt steering box tapped for Hydro assist with -6 AN fittings (rebuilt less than 100 miles ago, new worm drive installed)
Extra steering resivoir to hold more fluid
Steering fluid cooler
Chevy 1ton Crossover Tie Rod Ends.
Track bar mounted to high steer arms.
TRE's are mounted to thick walled DOM

Brakes
Disc brakes on all four corners - easily lock up the 37's if you need to.
Replaced stock brake booster with F250 Brake booster
Replaced master cylinder
Rear brakes have an aftermarket adjuster off the master cylinder to balance the rear brake bias.
Transfer Case Parking Brake (needs adjustment to really work well)

Fuel Delivery
32 gallon tank
Replaced fuel pump about 5000 miles ago
I cut out an access hatch in the rear of the bronco to make access to the fuel pump with out dropping the tank. Sealed the hole with weather seal and bolted in place
new fuel filter 5000 miles ago

Interior
Locking center tufty console with stereo and amp installed inside
Stereo has USB (played and charges smart phones), Auxiliary input, XM radio, HDRadio, CD/MP3 player
4 sony Xplod speakers
XM satellite box
aftermarket transmission temp gauge
aftermarket oil pressure gauge
aftermarket fuel pressure gauge
aftermarket engine temp gauge
Air pressure gauge for the onboard air system
Custom hold down brackets to replace the rear seat bolts. If you remove the rear seat you can use these to strap in coolers, tool chests, ammo cans or anything else in place of the rear seat.
Added Stock ford dash tach.
Aftermarket inside cop light
CB radio included
Vinyl interior, easy to clean and maintain
Stock bench seat is installed and included
A/C works great, as does the heater.. Air Conditioner is sweet on long trail rides!

Exterior
Custom front plate/tube bumper with 10,000lb winch
two 4" LED lights mounted on front bumper
Two KC halogen spot lights mounted on front bumper
Two 4" PIAA lights mounted under front bumper for rock lights
Rock sliders are welded to the frame under each rocker
Rear Custom wrap around bumper with right side swing away tire carrier
Left side swing away gas can holder and cooler carrier - removable
60" Hi-lift jack mounted under spare tire carrier with handle keeper
heavy duty D-Rings mounts on all four corners
Custom steel CB antenna mount
Both sides of the bumper accessories swing out to allow easy access to tailgate
no rust that I know of
No cracked or broken windows
Heated windshield wiper blades with switch on dash
Cop light on drivers side pillar, works but the handle does' work so well anymore..

Wheels and Tires
37" Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires on 17" Black steel rock crawler rims. I have a full-size matching spare on the same 17" steel rim, and a spare unmounted MTR Kevlar as a backup spare. 6 tires total. About 70% tread left on most of them, some rock rash on 4 but they are solid runners and I have no problems running them at 75 mph on the highway.

Other Cool stuff & Accessories
York 210 On board air
5 gallon airtank
Front and rear air line hookups, you can air up tires, run air tools or run pretty much anything that a regular air compressor.
One of a kind Custom tube doors - easily replace stock doors - these things are not only functional they look fantastic.. You will never find another set as nice and as well done as these I get complements from jeep guys, bronco guys and everyone in between.. they are bitchin.
Soft top with zip out windows, includes everything you need to install - I only ran it during the summer as I used the hard top in the winter, (one zipper needs repair on one of the window zip outs)

Extras
Extra set of 1ton Tie rod ends
Extra fresh rebuilt BW 1356 Transfer case (needs 4x4 output shaft swapped)
Extra gauge cluster and cluster bezel (uncut)
Extra set of Dana 44 axle shafts for Ford/Chevy conversion (these are my trail spares, direct swap into front Dana 44)
I have an astro van hydroboost unit if you want it.. was a planned upgrade.
i have a bunch of other stuff I will throw in, extra parts, etc..

The Bad:
Rear main seal leak - its leaked a bit for the last few years ever since i started using synthetic oil.. I gained about 1mpg but the rear main started to leak shortly after switching..
Drivers side mirror vibrates a bit.. the plate inside the door is broke so it vibrates more than it should..
Dent in the tailgate - the cooler/fuel rack pushed in the tailgate a little on the drivers side when I stood the truck on its butt going up a boulder.. doesn't affect anything window door and everything closed properly
Rain gutters on both side are slightly tweaked and one side is ripped. Happens to most broncos once you start wheeling them - I was going to weld a plate on the inside across the entire cab to reinforce this area.. does' tweak or anything but would be nice to have it done.
Clear coat has pretty much peeled off, but paint is ok.. more of a matte white finish now. Its a truck it has spent its lifetime out side.. been repainted once.

Some notes and other stuff

Emissions: If you have to undergo an emissions test and inspection this SHOULD pass - but I make NO GUARANTEES. I made sure to keep all the original emission hardware and controls in place.. including the EGR and I even replaced the catalytic convertor and metal tube for the air pump when I put the new exhaust on. Everything works and functions as it should.

Hardtop/softtop: Even though I swap out the hardtop every year I have no leaks from it throughout the winter, in the summers I swap to the soft top.. and have no leaks from that either.. I have the original rubber weatherstripping that I put back on every winter so I'm sure that helps…

Handling Truck handles pretty good for a solid axle setup with no sway bars and running 37" tires. Runs straight and true, not too much tire noise for running aggressive 37" off road tires around town and highway. I would religiously take the truck into Discount tire to get the tires rotated and balanced. I also have a lifetime alignment from Firestone that I use after every trip. Because of the steering setup i have never had an alignment issue in over 2 years, the tire wear is even and balanced.

The Bronco will run right down the highway at 75+ no problem.. no shudder, no steering issues, runs great. I have worked on valving the shocks to handle the body roll, so corners are no problem, but she is tall so only so much I can do for the lean.. but feels stable not out of control. Its a big off road truck, its drives like one.

If i have missed something or you have any questions please let me me know. I have tried my best to list out everything I could to help give you an idea of the amount of work and upgrades this Bronco has undergone.

For all the above I'm asking $8500 or any reasonable offer. Not interested in trades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Now some pictures!

DSCN0721.JPG

DSCN0729.JPG

twin-cone-run-colorado-9311-014.jpg

twin-cone-run-colorado-9311-013.jpg

Spring%20Creek_55.JPG

Bronco%20010.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

Chinaman_093.JPG

Chinaman_074.JPG

MChinaman_29.JPG

MChinaman_30.JPG

Chinaman_105.JPG

Jenny-Creek_26b.jpg

void%280%29.jpeg

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

1435.jpg

1466.jpg

photo.jpg

DSC09072b.jpg

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_2758.jpg

Video climbing Tip over challenge in Moab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3XGohQDno

4x4livn

Shouldve posted this a month ago... i wouldnt own a 1972 bronco if you had! That is exactly what I am going for with this bronco! Not to mention you are in Denver!!! Cool pictures on Chinaman's Gulch!!

4x4livn

It's only been a month I'm sure you haven't gotten to far ;)

You would think that... but currently the rear axle isnt technically in the vehicle (still waiting on some of the parts to put the lift in). The front end already has a new lift and is in the process of a front disc brake swap. I have an adjustable track bar on its way...

BTW for the price you have that thing listed its a steal! I figure $2200 for the arbs, 500-700 for the install, bumpers ~1500-2000, not to mention all the custom fab work! If you want to trade for a 1972 bronco with fresh disc brakes and a progressive 3.5'' lift... you could always come visit it ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
You would think that... but currently the rear axle isnt technically in the vehicle (still waiting on some of the parts to put the lift in). The front end already has a new lift and is in the process of a front disc brake swap. I have an adjustable track bar on its way...

BTW for the price you have that thing listed its a steal! I figure $2200 for the arbs, 500-700 for the install, bumpers ~1500-2000, not to mention all the custom fab work! If you want to trade for a 1972 bronco with fresh disc brakes and a progressive 3.5'' lift... you could always come visit it ;)

Nice, ya.. iam way over what I'm asking but I need this gone and I understood what I was getting into when I started working on the Bronco.

Let me know if you change your mind.. iam around :p

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I'm apologize i hadn't realized I didn't post any under the hood or inside pictures.. I went out and took new ones just now so here you go

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Gawd! That is a cool FSB. Just spent my tax return money or I would be dialing you up Bro.
Killer truck. Great price.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Lowered to $8500 obo!

I also replaced all the spark plugs and installed a new Ignition coil. Runs like a top and expect the gas mileage to improve a little as well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.