Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 05/08/13, 06:54 AM   #1
popedaddy

Central Mississippi

My Gallery
1977 rear tank question

Recap: i bought a bronco with a repaired stock tank that isnt installed. I need to figure out whether to install it and see if it still leaks or go with another new/used tank..

The only replacement tanks I have come across require a lift in order to install them. Is this really the case? Has anyone installed one without the lift?

Is there a replacement tank out there that doesnt require a lift?

I dont really need a 23 gallon tank to putt around town but it would be nice I guess...but i really dont want to have to install a lift just to get a new tank.

Just wanted to get some input. Any solutions are welcome..thanks.
popedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 07:14 AM   #2
WheelHorse
Contributor
Bronco Guru

There's Classic Bronco's, and the imitations that follow!

Chi-Town
The tank on my '77 is plastic; is yours plastic as well?

Kate - '77 Ranger, AT, PS, PDB, AC
She'll do the ton
WheelHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 07:33 AM   #3
popedaddy

Central Mississippi

My Gallery
yea its plastic..

im not sure how good repairs on plastic work which is why im considering replacing it..
Old 05/08/13, 07:36 AM   #4
WheelHorse
Contributor
Bronco Guru

There's Classic Bronco's, and the imitations that follow!

Chi-Town
They have plastic welders now and I guess it would depend on who's doing the work.

Worse case you could line the tank if the repair looks to be solid.

Or you could go to a steel tank.

I was happy to not have a steel tank because the truck sat for a while which most likely meant I would have been replacing the tank. However, there is a concern with ethanol that it may swell like a lot of bike manufacturers have been finding out.

Kate - '77 Ranger, AT, PS, PDB, AC
She'll do the ton
WheelHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 08:01 AM   #5
popedaddy

Central Mississippi

My Gallery
Thanks for the input.

I just want something that works, wont leak, and my gauges will work with. LOL.
Old 05/08/13, 09:50 AM   #6
77-302

Canton, MI

My Gallery
BTW, just dropped my original tank (77) and replaced fuel filler neck, vent and sender lines. I did it on my hoist but if you are patient you could do it on the ground with jack stands. the trick is being able to tip it down on the passenger side so the filler neck can be pulled between the body and the frame. If you leave them attached that is...

77 bought 03/06/12 (first Bronco)
PS/PB vintage air, rebuilt 302, C4, 2.5" WH with Bilstein 5100's, 33" BFGMTK2's, TBP long tubes, Custom SS exhaust.
77-302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 10:55 AM   #7
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
I bought our '77 new. Within two years both plastic tanks had cracked. The main at the sending unit and the aux at the filler port. I replaced both with Aero tanks and had no lift at the time. Both of those Aero tanks are still in service.

'77. 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, Windsor Jr heads, 4bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon posi.
Vintage Air, Pioneer tunes, Toms seats.
All the comforts!
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 12:47 PM   #8
jhickman1

Every Bronco, is a Project Bronco

Fayetteville, NC
A small hole was punched in the bottom of my rear tank on the '77. It looked like it was done with a screwdriver tip. I used a product made by Goop that worked on plastic and it said it was oil and gas resistant. It was clear like silicon. I applied a layer and let it dry and then another and another. I put fuel in it and it hasn't leak yet. That was about 6 or 7 years ago!!

Justin Hickman
Fayetteville, NC
77 Bronco
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 03:29 PM   #9
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Where are you finding tanks that require a lift popedaddy? Never seen one of those myself.

The larger tanks do hang down some more than stock, so that might be why some people say you need a lift.
The larger tanks are available specifically for a body-lifted Bronco, but it's not a requirement to use one. Even the body lift version will work without a body lift, with some brands.
There are adjustable types too, for use with or without a body lift. But again, none is required for use with the tank.

The only caveat to the larger tanks is with the 23 gallon NWMP (non-body lift) version physically WON'T fit with a body lift without some extra spacers.

Any way to test yours with air of water/fuel before you install it?

Paul

Last edited by DirtDonk; 06/01/13 at 05:07 PM..

'71 Wagon, 3.5" lift, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers.
Soon to be 5.0 w/ NV3550 and NP241 and whatever other parts are stuffed in the cab, storage room and garage, waiting to be installed.

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 03:57 PM   #10
TwoDalesDad
Bronco Guru

On a 76 bronco my Sister owned for ten years the plastic tank leaked...all ten years......We tried so many fixes...none worked...Replace with a big steel one...
TwoDalesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 06:16 PM   #11
a74ranger
Contributor

Tate City, GA
Garage
I have a good tank off my '77 that I replaced with a larger tank that I would be willing to sell. PM me if you are interested.
a74ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/13, 08:13 PM   #12
popedaddy

Central Mississippi

My Gallery
Thanks for the info guys. I will probably just order the new 23 gallon tank. Hate to spend that kind of money on it but repairing a repaired tank probably isnt my best option.

77-302 i sent you a message.
Old 05/08/13, 08:28 PM   #13
taipeichris
Bronco Guru

"Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness & some men drive Broncos"

Los Angeles, CA

My Gallery
My 23 gallon tank was installed by the previous owner in 1995. I've been rear ended twice and my NWMP tank is just fine. It is an investment well worth the cost. You will be safer, your family will be safer and your Bronco will be safer too. Make sure to order a new filler and vent hose too when you get the tank.
Good luck!
taipeichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/13, 07:30 AM   #14
pabluni

Apex NC
Just dropped my "77 main tank to check it out and to replace a dry-rotted filler hose using jack stands. Tank was in excellent shape, but had to replace swiss cheese skid plate. Biggest pain was putting everything back in and making connections. '77 tank is strapped to skid plate which bolts to frame. Together they are very heavy and very little room to install. I ended up installing tank only to make all the connections and then lifting skid plate to place with floor jack to bolt in. So my tank is no longer strapped to skid plate but with the tight fit it shouldn't be an issue. Best advice, don't lift rear so high that you're straining to reach everything while laying on a creeper. Lift, tranny jack, and extra sets of hands would help, but it can be done with jack stands.
pabluni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 03:54 PM   #15
speedyvt6

Bristow
eBay: speedyvt6
Where did you all find a vent hose for the '77 main tank? I ordered one that was supposed to fit but the hose is 5/8" ID (fits the filler neck) but my (stock) tank has a 7/8" fitting. It looks like the original hose was a special peice that bells out to 7/8 on one end, but no one sells a hose like that. I can adapt from 7/8 to 5/8 but non of my local parts stores have 7/8 hose. Any suggestions?
speedyvt6 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech