Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 05/30/13, 09:42 AM   #1
Chirper

Portland, Oregon
Garage
What Transfer Case?

So I will be pulling the body off my truck by the end of this year and putting in a 351W and zf 5 speed along with a bunch of other work. I want a more modern Transfer case as well that will bolt right up to a ford 4x4 tranny (married). Any opinions on best one?

I want to be able to run a twin stick on it. The D20 I have is a j shifter, It just sucks to shift, and I want something better. I know the 1356 works and the np205. The np205 seems to be a beast of a transfercase and will hold up to anthing an early bronco will put it through. I like not having to worry about stuff, and with the ZF's 1st gear I really don't care about the 1.96 low ratio.

Anybody with expericence doing this setup?
Chirper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 11:43 AM   #2
Dusty
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Menifee, CA

My Gallery
I'd get an Atlas if I were you. Modern, bolts up with the right ring, twin stick, can handle the HP, your choice of gear ratios. Only downside is its not cheap but it looks like you'll be spending some money on the rest of your drivetrain, no sense in cheaping out on the T-case that only has 2:1 low range.

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 12:17 PM   #3
Desert Thrasher
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Its a Bronco, if I wanted a Hummer Id call your sister!

Escondido California

My Gallery
Garage
Re: What Transfer Case?

The 1356 wont work. It won't fit between the frame rails. And the 205 is no more modern than the d20. Atlas or stak would be your best bet. I would go atlas, heard many bad things about stak.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

1966 5.13 gears 31spline BB9" Yukon Grizzly. D44 trutrac 35" BFG MTs Hybrid D20 Twinstick ZF 5 Speed 5.8 EFI Hydroboost 4x4x2 PS Custom Cage and Plate Front Bumper w/10k winch. Rear Bumper with Tire/fuel/Hi-lift Rack. BC 3.5" coils Spring Rockers, WH Leafs, 3" bodylift WH Front and Rear Shock Hoops
Desert Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 12:28 PM   #4
Dusty
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Menifee, CA

My Gallery
If you want a Stak I have a brand new one in a box I'd sell you so I can buy an Atlas

Old 05/30/13, 01:19 PM   #5
Tedster100
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Shit Creek Survivor

Clinton, Ohio
Garage
I've been running a NP205 behind my NP435 & it's great. Twin sticked it myself by modifying the shift rail and got a set of JB Fab sticks. Took way longer to clean and paint the case than to modify for twin stick. I just got done going over another NP205 and modifying it to put behind a ZF so I'll have as little down time as possible when I do the swap. Atlas is a better case and has lower gearing but I paid 3K less for my NP205 than for an Atlas and it works great for me.

'73 Bronco, 1948 Harley Flathead & 1968 Shovelhead
Tedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 02:36 PM   #6
Chirper

Portland, Oregon
Garage
Not looking to throw down that much cash for an atlas. I already have a motor, with the 5.72 first and 4.88 gears, I'll have about a 55 to 1 ratio with an np205. Didn't know the 1356 don't fit but they are pretty beast looking. I can buy a 205 around here for around $200 and have a buddy rebuild it for a few hundred. While they are only a few years later, I have heard people say that they shift better.

I will probably put an atlas in in the future, but I'm spending money on other stuff first.

Any other transfer cases that work?
Old 05/30/13, 02:45 PM   #7
MarkH@Wildhorse
Sponsor/Vendor

Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If you want a Stak I have a brand new one in a box I'd sell you so I can buy an Atlas
I have a Stak, it's ok, but I'd buy an Atlas. I miss my Atlas...

E-mail - Mark@Wildhorses4x4.com
71' Bronco - Coilover's / 42 inch tires / other stuff I didn't need.
MarkH@Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 02:59 PM   #8
Dusty
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Menifee, CA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirper View Post
Not looking to throw down that much cash for an atlas. I already have a motor, with the 5.72 first and 4.88 gears, I'll have about a 55 to 1 ratio with an np205. Didn't know the 1356 don't fit but they are pretty beast looking. I can buy a 205 around here for around $200 and have a buddy rebuild it for a few hundred. While they are only a few years later, I have heard people say that they shift better.

I will probably put an atlas in in the future, but I'm spending money on other stuff first.

Any other transfer cases that work?
If your plan is to put in an Atlas later then I would definitely stick with your plan of doing a 205 for now. They are beefy and will bolt up. Only thing I'm not sure about is how well they fit between the frame rails but I'm sure there is info here about that if you search. I was going to recommend staying with the D20 instead, and twin-sticking it, as its a pretty stout little T-case already. But you will spend more on adapters to keep the D20, that you could put instead toward your future Atlas.

Old 05/30/13, 03:03 PM   #9
j.r.nice
Contributor
Bronco Guru

OHIO, heart of
eBay: jrnice
I have an older Atlas, wouldn't have anything else. It's held up to all the abuse I've passed out. Best money I've spent.

66 & 89 BRONCOs
90 F450 Rollback
65 Falcon 2 & 4 dr wagons
MAKIN' OLD CRAP LIKE NEW...FOR OVER 35 YEARS!
j.r.nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 10:20 PM   #10
COBlu77
Contributor

Arvada, CO

My Gallery
I have an NP205 behind my 4R70W. Its an inexpensive no nonsense option. I originally did it as a temporary solution, until I could afford to buy an Atlas II. I've been running it now for 3 years and it's worked so well, I doubt I will replace it. Just make sure that you fabricate something for the side mount to the frame (see my gallery). It's a beast. I had twin sticks on my D20 and run the NP205 with just the stock single shifter. The twin sticks looked cool, but didn't really need them 99% or the time.

77 351W, EFI, 4R70W,NP205, 3.5" WH lift, 2" BL,4:56 gears, Curry 31 spl w/ARB rear & Trutrac front, 35" MTR's, Custom 6pt family cage, Hydroboost brakes,Stone Crusher Steering/Track bar, "Miley-made" rear bumper, OBA
COBlu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/13, 11:47 PM   #11
Chirper

Portland, Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBlu77 View Post
I have an NP205 behind my 4R70W. Its an inexpensive no nonsense option. I originally did it as a temporary solution, until I could afford to buy an Atlas II. I've been running it now for 3 years and it's worked so well, I doubt I will replace it. Just make sure that you fabricate something for the side mount to the frame (see my gallery). It's a beast. I had twin sticks on my D20 and run the NP205 with just the stock single shifter. The twin sticks looked cool, but didn't really need them 99% or the time.
How does it shift?
I really don't go into the knarly rocks much so I don'r care about the 3 or 4 to 1 low ranges in the Atlas t cases. This seems like a decent transfer case and I will already be doing custom mounts so that isn't a big deal. It is a little heavy but not a big deal.
Old 05/31/13, 12:11 AM   #12
demesauce

Fresno, CA
eBay: demesauce
Garage
Why not just make your Dana 20 a twin stick. D20s are plenty strong if yours is a j shift, it's super easy to convert to a twin stick shifter.
demesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/13, 09:26 AM   #13
Chirper

Portland, Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demesauce View Post
Why not just make your Dana 20 a twin stick. D20s are plenty strong if yours is a j shift, it's super easy to convert to a twin stick shifter.
One, I'm not partial to it at all, It shifts terrible and probably needs a rebuild. I could buy a 205 which is stronger and rebuild it for the same cost as buying an adapter, and it bolts right up to a zf with a little clearencing for the shift rails. I already will be doing custom mounts and moving stuff around so I'm not worried about keeping it stock.

I get 350hp and 400 lb/ft It will still have plenty of tranny to not ever have to worry and I won't even be working the t case.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech