Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/01/13, 06:25 AM   #1
aj

Jefferson City, Mo
Easiest EFI engine swap in an Early Bronco

I know this question has been ask time and time again. I just want some straight forward answers about this so I know what to look for. I am going to build another bronco but I want it to be fuel injection and run A/C too. I have heard the mustang engines are easy but I also read somewhere the Lincolns/crown vics will bolt in pretty easy too. Need some serious insight on this please. I am not looking for a ton of horse power or going to do much mods on the engine. I want it to be a daily driver and run down the highway at 65-70mph with running the a/c and pulling a popup camper when I want. I also would like to keep the rpms going down the highway around 1800ish if possible. So what's true and what's reality? Thanks guys.
aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 06:37 AM   #2
ScanmanSteven
Contributor

New Florence, MO
There will be lots of opinions on this so I'll offer mine. All of the 302 blocks are basically the same. The upper intakes on some are a little lower so depending on if you have a BL will determine which one works the best. You might need to change the oil pan to clear the front differential.

Now, the 302 is a great engine but usually needs to run at a higher rpm to keep in it's torque range, which means 1800 rpms on the highway may not be feasible for the brick EB. A 351 has lower torque so that lends itself to your 1800 rpm goal. Read lots of builds to see what others have done. Good luck.

1976 Bronco 351W EFI Serpentine setup, NP435, D20, 4.56 Detroit Rear, ARB Front
ScanmanSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 06:47 AM   #3
pbwcr

Durango CO
Agree with Scanman
The Mustang has the intake on the passeenger side which is good. When you go with a brake upgrade the drivers side intake will be in the way. Get a 5.0HO. And I had to add a glass hood to clear the Mustang motor since I do not have a body lift. I wish I had a 351 with passenger side intake.
====================

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanmanSteven View Post
There will be lots of opinions on this so I'll offer mine. All of the 302 blocks are basically the same. The upper intakes on some are a little lower so depending on if you have a BL will determine which one works the best. You might need to change the oil pan to clear the front differential.

Now, the 302 is a great engine but usually needs to run at a higher rpm to keep in it's torque range, which means 1800 rpms on the highway may not be feasible for the brick EB. A 351 has lower torque so that lends itself to your 1800 rpm goal. Read lots of builds to see what others have done. Good luck.
pbwcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 07:44 AM   #4
sarens

Commerce Township
eBay: sarens9
Garage
I'm doing a '90 Mustang GT swap right now, I am using the AOD trans, actually just welded in the motor stands yesterday (was a 170cid EB); I have started some research and appears 1800rpm would be too low on highway as OD wouldn't function properly, I'm still a couple of months away from driving due to other items I am also doing so I won't be able to give you feed back right away, I did a lot of research prior to picking this swap, so far everything has been as stated and nothing difficult, I used a Advanced Adaptor kit for tail on AOD, I'm doing a new EFI radiator and separate trans cooler, I looked at tons of threads on this topic and most were very consistant in what they stated for the conversion, I do believe passanger side intake is simplest, a driver side intake gives multible issues, I am switching to Explorer acc'y drive system also for clearance to radiator and upgraded PS and alternator
sarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 08:09 AM   #5
aj

Jefferson City, Mo
Ok. What is the normal rpm for a 5.0 going down the highway? I was assum the lower rpms would help a little on the fuel mileage. Over all I want the most efficient engine that makes sence to put in these but not looking to do many/any big mods.

What vehicles had the EFI 351w in it that would be a bolt in? Note: I'm going to run a stock hood.
Old 06/01/13, 08:53 AM   #6
Amac70
ME

back on the trail

St Helens, Or

My Gallery
Garage
For cruising rpms i would shoot for 2200 to 2400 at the speed you want to drive at. For example my set up 351 35 inch tires, 5.13 gears and 4r70w i cruise at 65 at about 2350 rpms, and it doesn't ever have to downshift for hills its just getting into its power there and likes to cruise there, Im getting around 14-15mpg at that speed on the highway. As for the intakes they are all reversible so it doesn't matter which one you get. when you put the motor in decide which direction suits your needs best for clearing various engine components. mine is facing driver side cause that is the only way it would fit at the time.

on the 351 side it is more difficult to do the efi, you will have to source out and find individual components to do a maf efi system. The intake is going to be the most difficult part, as only the lighting had a desirable intake on them. You can use adapter plates but they are going to starve your engine for air and not perform at the higher rpms. There are also a few aftermarket intakes available but none are cheap.

70' 351 efi w/fw d44/9 airlockers f/r,4r70w, oba, other stuff
Amac70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 09:24 AM   #7
sarens

Commerce Township
Garage
351W is nice but everything I read showed the 5.0 was easier that is why I chose that route, maybe someone that has done both can chime in to give an experienced opinion
Old 06/01/13, 09:29 AM   #8
sarens

Commerce Township
Garage
my other opinion was (simular to you) I am looking for more of a general street ride, so the 5.0 HO is going to be more than enough power, stock my I6 was rated at 100hp (which I belive in '71 would have been engine not rear wheel) so the 225hp 5.0 is more than enough for what I need, this is my 1st Bronco project, already considering my 2nd which will be more for off road and that I think I will do a 351W
Old 06/01/13, 09:47 AM   #9
00gyrhed
Contributor
Bronco Guru

whoooooooooooooop!!!!

Sunnyvale, TX

My Gallery
this intake is relatively inexpensive and solves all of the 351 intake issues. everything else can be can be 90 mustang MAF but you will want 24# injectors on the 351.

It fits under my stock hood with a 2" body lift and 3/8" spacer. It might even make it under a 1" body lift but you will have to cut a clearance to make the Idle air valve mount with the connection down. Mine points up and is easily the highest point by a 1/2" or more with about a 1/2" clearance.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/en5015.html

As long as you 351 is basically stock the lower truck intake with BC adapter to the mustang upper will work just fine and may even make a little more HP than the stock 351truck intake.

I was going that route but had enough machine work to do that I decided to make a 393 instead and went with the intake above. I have the BC adapter for sale if you want it and I will throw in a truck lower and mustang upper (stripped) for cheap.

71, 393 roller cam EFI, 700R4, D44, F9, ARB front and rear, on board air, Twin Stick, Cruise Control, P255/85/16 BFG M/T, Custom Plate Bumpers, spare tire carrier, custom floor, 2 inch susp, 2 inch body lift, Blah, Blah, Blah.
00gyrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 10:04 AM   #10
TN1776
Bronco Guru

Livermore, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarens View Post
351W is nice but everything I read showed the 5.0 was easier that is why I chose that route, maybe someone that has done both can chime in to give an experienced opinion
5.0 is easier if you are replacing an existing 302 in that your exhaust, accessory brackets and any custom stuff you have under hood doesn't have to change. You are replacing with basically the same thing.

5.8/351w is not really any more difficult if you are replacing everything anyway (which in your case, replacing a 6-cyl with a 5.0), you are. As everybody knows, the 351 is taller and wider so its a tighter fit. 2" body lift helps with the 351 greatly. Not trying to convince you to abandon your 5.0 plans, but lending a little input based on your question.

TN1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 10:31 AM   #11
Rox Crusher
Contributor
Bronco Guru

BRONCO TIME !

Roxborough Park, CO

My Gallery
Garage
Howdy AJ

If i understand your question correctly, you are looking for the easiest EFI engine option as opposed to EFI conversion ?

If so, the easiest swap with the most benefits is by far a 5.0 Explorer. Low mileage ones are reasonably easy to find, and even the high miles ones are very reliable if they have had the normal maintenance. They have the most desirable accessory drive with good components such as alternator, steering pump, and a/c.

Most guys are converting these motors to use the older Mustang mass air EFI system which uses a TFI distributor. More recently, interest is building in staying with the distributor-less (coil packs with cam sensor) system that came on the Explorer 5.0.

I did mine with the mustang stuff.

I was able to keep my stock hood without using a body lift.

If I was to do it again, I would seriously consider 351 with EFI but only if I could keep stock hood. 351 is seriously more expensive though.

1977 Sport with Special Decor paint
Explorer EFI 5.0, 4R70W, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33"x12.5 Shoes
www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
Rox Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 10:33 AM   #12
aj

Jefferson City, Mo
What about putting a 289 and setting it up with fuel injection? Is that possible? I really won't need a 351. I think that will be serious overkill for what I'm wanting to get out of this. I have to be able to run A/C tho.
Is there an a/c set up you can take off another vehicle and convert it onto the early bronco?

What years of explorer will work if I went that route?
Old 06/01/13, 11:21 AM   #13
mattt
Contributor
Bronco Guru

OC
Your best bet would be to find a 96-01 Explorer with my preference being 96 or possibly 97. That engine will fit the best, it has the best serp. setup, makes good power for a 5.0 based engine(better than the other options), and it relatively easy to find. I say 96-97 so you get GT40 heads, instead of GT40P heads. The P heads are difficult to work with, exhaust wise.

If you want an O/D trans, you can adapt the Explorer trans into a Bronco as well with minimal work.
mattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 11:31 AM   #14
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj View Post
What about putting a 289 and setting it up with fuel injection? Is that possible? I really won't need a 351. I think that will be serious overkill for what I'm wanting to get out of this. I have to be able to run A/C tho.
Is there an a/c set up you can take off another vehicle and convert it onto the early bronco?

A 289 is very possible. I always thought the 289s ran better then the 302s anyway.

Fuel injection is basicly a fancy intake swap. The tricky part is tuning if not stock. Speed density engine (most crown vic, trucks, early mustangs even) are programmed to match the engine flow parameters. The mass air versions don't really care so much about what engine they are on, they add fuel based on the measured amount of air entering the engine. But they can still be dialed in with a tune. Mass air doesn't need a tune nearly as much as a converted speed density does. The mass air EFI is also very well understood today and can quickly be dialed in.

For the Explorer stuff. '96 to '01 Explorers had a 5.0 V8 option. Those are the donor sources. Not the 4.0 V6, not a 4.6 V8 (they would have the wrong year if they claimed that, but has been done).

The V8 Explorer intake is a very good piece, even for a stock engine. I would think a 289 with an Explorer intake and mustang EFI would make for a nice running package. I stated years ago that the Explorer conversion (with the explorer computer) will start becoming popular, and in the past year we are getting more involved with it. But I am still holding back until a few more of the conversions really hit the streets and get some miles under them. See how many hidden bugs there are with the OBD-II swap.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/13, 11:35 AM   #15
TN1776
Bronco Guru

Livermore, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj View Post

289 is doable though the firing order is different and there is a bit of a divide on the best way to handle that. Some re-arrange the injector wiring to sync up the injector order with the firing order, some go with a custom computer tune so there is no mixup of left/right bank in terms of pulling codes when you rearrange the injector order.. some also change to the 5.0 HO and 351w firing order.

Explorer engine years have been discussed in this thread... 96-97 are popular but any up to 2001 will work for you. Adapting a Mustang computer and TFI distributor is easy, and its a well proven system.

TN1776 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech