Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 06/16/13, 10:18 AM   #1
bobtail
Contributor

high desert
master cylinder ?

I converted to front disc brakes now my master cylinder leaks into the cab. I want to replace the master cylinder which one should I buy? I don't have a power booster. The one I have now has two compartments one larger than the other. is there a rebuild kit? or should I buy a new one.
bobtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/13, 10:33 AM   #2
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
Hit the parts store for a standard disc brake mc.
Like a '76 eb with manual disc.
I use a '73 F-250 camper special manual front disc with dual piston calipers master cylinder.
It's a tight fit but it works great. Best part is it's only $18 bucks at Autozone.
The easier thing would be to get the '76 mc mentioned above.

73 Wagon, 3.5" sl, long RS9000's, BC F-250 mounts, WH 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, C-4, TBP twin sticked Dana 20, P.S., built 351W, Detroits and G2 4.11 gears, front & rear WH axles, Yukon Super joints, BC 4 wheel disc, BC Vintage a/c, WH Procar 2000 seats, Alpine/Pioneer, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/13, 11:59 AM   #3
Crude dude

Not sure how it compares to the master cylinders already mentioned but I installed an 84 Dodge Ramcharger master cylinder and it works really good. All you have to do is drill the two mounting holes out to 3/8" and its a perfect fit to mount. You will also need to go to a parts house and pick up 2 adapters for the brake lines, different threads.

70 Bronco, 302/C4, 4 wheel disc, ARB 44/chromoly axles, 9" BB 31 sp chromoly axles, 5.5" WH lift, 35" KM, Protofab Cage/Prerunner bumpers/shock hoops/radius arms
Crude dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/13, 02:21 PM   #4
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
I bet the Ramcharger mc is pretty inexpensive too.

73 Wagon, 3.5" sl, long RS9000's, BC F-250 mounts, WH 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, C-4, TBP twin sticked Dana 20, P.S., built 351W, Detroits and G2 4.11 gears, front & rear WH axles, Yukon Super joints, BC 4 wheel disc, BC Vintage a/c, WH Procar 2000 seats, Alpine/Pioneer, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/13, 03:33 PM   #5
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
The Ramcharger MC is a 1.125" bore unit with 1/2-20 and 9/16-18 inverted flare outlet ports, cast aluminum body and shared plastic reservoir with screw-on caps. There are similar variants of that Mopar MC in 1.06", .94" and .88" bore sizes that I know about (different outlet port sizes on some), and probably others as well.

There seems to be some confusion as to what a "Camper Special" unit actually is...at least on my end. If I'm not mistaken, the manual/power brake unit from the F250 with single-piston calipers is a 1" bore and would therefore match the 76-77 EB unit in terms of bore size and performance, making it the better choice. The power brake F250 unit for 2-piston calipers has a 1.25" bore size and I think was only supplied in power configurations, way too big for stock Ford or Chevy single-piston caliper setups IMHO unless you're running hydroboost or correspondingly large vacuum booster and have the gain to push it.

Reservoir size can indicate whether the MC was designed for disc or drum, however is not definitive and has little to nothing to do with how the hydraulics actually perform since the added volume in a disc application (versus a drum application) is just there to account for pad wear over time. Bore size is what determines the pressure output for a given input force at the pedal while stroke is determined by the volumetric requirements of the calipers and pedal ratio.

Last edited by Apogee; 06/16/13 at 03:56 PM..

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Apogee is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech