• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not getting fuel to start.

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx
So i finally got my bronco running and timed. and i have been having to starting it by dumping a bit of fuel in the carb to get it to start each time. didnt think anything of it untill i finaly got it it timed and running good, and then came out a couple days later to take it for a spin and it wouldnt start. but after dumping a bit of fuel in the carb it fired right up. after i asked a masterr tech friend he said sounds like the fuel pump. so i changed it and well it still wont pick up fuel. not sure what the deal is. my friend said it could be the mechanisam inside the block thats not allowing the fuel pump to work. the part that actally moves the arm on the fuel pump. has any one had this issue? or maybe know of another reason its not working? before I change to a electic fuel pump? FYI. tank is full, and i have new fuel filters. so i know nothings clogged because it also runs fine once i get it going from dumping fuel in the carb.

doran4x

Contributor
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine. With a properly working mechanical fuel pump there should be gas flowing after a second.

Was any work done to the engine like new timing gear or cam? Take the fuel pump off and check inside the hole. You may need a mirror. That arm should be contacting a round but offset cup called an essentric that actuates the fuel pump. When you bolt the pump back on there should be resistance on the pump arm pushing it down.

OP
OP
W

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine. With a properly working mechanical fuel pump there should be gas flowing after a second.

Was any work done to the engine like new timing gear or cam? Take the fuel pump off and check inside the hole. You may need a mirror. That arm should be contacting a round but offset cup called an essentric that actuates the fuel pump. When you bolt the pump back on there should be resistance on the pump arm pushing it down.

When I put the fuel pump on i did feel the resistance like you stat, on the arm and its brand new. and no fuel at the carb when i crank. which is wierd because when I do dump a little fuel in the carb to "charge" the fuel line. it starts and runs. but when i turn it off, and try to restart it it wont fire up. its almost like it looses pressure instently.

OP
OP
W

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx
Sounds like a float or needle valve issue. Enough fuel should remain in the float bowl to restart the motor.

Ok so im assuming, that your talking about in the carb. which would mean i need to rebuild the carb. which i did already. a couple months ago. so if thats the case. what else could it be? or if not what are you talking about exactly and how do i fix it?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Ok so im assuming, that your talking about in the carb. which would mean i need to rebuild the carb. which i did already. a couple months ago. so if thats the case. what else could it be? or if not what are you talking about exactly and how do i fix it?

Recheck your fuel level. It sounds like it may be too low. You can pull the top of the carb off and see what you have. With a Ford carb, you can start and run it without the top. After shutting off if the motor, if the fuel level drops, it could be a power valve stuck open.

OP
OP
W

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx
Recheck your fuel level. It sounds like it may be too low. You can pull the top of the carb off and see what you have. With a Ford carb, you can start and run it without the top. After shutting off if the motor, if the fuel level drops, it could be a power valve stuck open.

Fuel level is topped off. and I have a Carter Compatition series Carb. 4barral.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
How long does it have to set before it won't restart? Sometimes mine will need a bit of cranking to fill the float bowl after setting a couple weeks.

OP
OP
W

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx
How long does it have to set before it won't restart? Sometimes mine will need a bit of cranking to fill the float bowl after setting a couple weeks.

i can get it running, run it up to operating temperature, kill it and try to start it again immediately, and it wont start again.

doran4x

Contributor
You can do this on a bench with pump in vise. Attach vacuum gauge to pump inlet and pump the arm up and down. If there is vacuum then your essentric is bad more than likely.

Last edited:

denbronco

I had the same problem on my 70 bronco. the fuel line was plugged from the fuel pump to carb....

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
did you disconnect fuel line at front of carb and stick it in a catch can?. pull the coil wire and then crank the starter. while cranking starter look to see if gas pumping out of disconnected fuel line into catch can. if no gas something fouled up with fuel pump or line between fuel pump and carb is blocked.

look down into top of carb and work the throttle linkage. if there's gas in carb you'll see it squirting down the carb venturies with each action of the throttle linkage.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If it runs once you've got it started, your fuel pump isn't the problem. I'd go back to the carb. Sounds like a blockage in the idle circuit.

OP
OP
W

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx
If it runs once you've got it started, your fuel pump isn't the problem. I'd go back to the carb. Sounds like a blockage in the idle circuit.

exactly what im thinking, but im no carb expert. any one have any ideas for a Compatition Carter 4 barral? not sure what the idle circuit is. id need a little guidence there.

OP
OP
W

wheelentime

Loc.
Denton, Tx

Thank you BlueBuckaro. it deffently was a clog in the idel jets. i looked it up. and figured it out. just unscrewed the idel screws all the way out. shot some carb cleaner in them. screwed them back in, and fired right up no hessatation. and ran beautiful all afternoon. thank you all for your input. and safe wheeling....