Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 08/10/13, 05:14 PM   #1
John Marinan

Durango CO.
eBay: 1690johnm
camber

I used to take my Toyota, and my Chevy straight axle trucks to Dallas alignment in Dallas TX. To set the camber, they straightened the axle tube with a set up that actually bent the axle tubes. It worked with no issues. Is this an acceptable way to correct camber in a D44 with all good or new parts?
John Marinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/13, 06:28 PM   #2
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ
I really wouldnt want them to bend the axle when other means are availible. Basically you can use spindle shims or ball joint adjusters to correct most issues with camber. now if its off more than 2 degrees then the axle is probably bent anyhow.
Bending is the old school way of correcting it. while it works I wouldnt call it the best way to fix it.

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
broncnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/13, 07:02 PM   #3
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
There are shims that go behind the spindle that can correct camber.
There are offset balljoint bushings that can correct camber and caster.
They have limitations.

Also should look at SAI (kingpin inclination) numbers. That is like caster in you draw a line through the upper and lower ball joints, but it is in the camber direction. Depending on if the variation is corrected inside or outside the balljoint will change the SAI.

As for bending the axle to get the numbers, it may be the right way to do it at times and the wrong way at others. Depends on where the error is at. I feel the axle tubes are rarely as straight as they should be, so tweaking the housing to fix stuff can be a good thing. But if the knuckle itself is tweaked bending the housing to fix that is just making more problems. Figuring out where the error is really occurring at can be the hardest part. That is where the SAI numbers help point the way.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech