Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 08/15/13, 11:59 PM   #1
Hurseyc
Contributor

Waterloo, IL
eBay: hurseyc
Clutch pedal removal - frustrating!!!

Is there some secret to getting the rod out that the clutch and brake pedal ride on???

I took the fresh air box out to get access to the back of the speedo and noticed the rod with the kotter key was right there so I figured I'd take the opportunity to remove the clutch pedal.

I got the kotter key out fine but the rod won't budge more than one or two millimeters.

I tried prying from the other end where the other kotter key is as well.

Is there something that holds that thing from moving?

I did notice the spacer next to the clutch spins freely. I thought maybe that was rusted.

Anyway, any tips?

Thanks!
Hurseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 01:12 AM   #2
jckkys
Bronco Guru

Tucson, Arizona
I took the box that both the clutch and brake peddles are mounted in, off the fire wall to rebuild the whole assembly. If you do that you can replace the bushings, bumpers,etc. I put the wide disc brake pedal on mine.
jckkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 01:16 AM   #3
Hurseyc
Contributor

Waterloo, IL
That's what I was trying to avoid but it may come to that.
Old 08/16/13, 01:20 AM   #4
jonpblewis@yaho

69 Dude

San Diego, CA
Sorry, I removed mine but can't remember if it was hard or not. This is something you might consider doing along with removing the clutch. When I did mine I also moved the break over to the clutch spot along with the offset booster mounting bracket on the other side of the firewall. This spaced the break and gas pedals apart and made room for a wide break pedal. It also moved the break booster and master cylinder over the wheel well and really opened up that side of the motor that was already crowded with steering, break lines, power steering, etc. Everything looks and works well so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

69 Dude
jonpblewis@yaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 01:41 AM   #5
broncobliss
Contributor

Half Moon Bay
The rod only comes out one direction, I believe it's towards the driverside. I added a clutch pedal a while back.
broncobliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 02:20 AM   #6
Hurseyc
Contributor

Waterloo, IL
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll see if I can pull it out in the other direction.
Old 08/16/13, 09:28 AM   #7
AZ73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Barn Find

Scottsdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobliss View Post
The rod only comes out one direction, I believe it's towards the driverside. I added a clutch pedal a while back.
The rod has cotter pins on both ends, but the rod end by the brake pedal is notched smaller so it can't come out that side. You have to take the cotter pin out on the brake pedal side and pull the rod out towards the clutch side.

Last thing: I took the whole set-up off the Bronco when I was disassembling for restoration. About a month ago I got around to disassembling the pedals to have them zinc coated, and even out of the Bronco and in the garage on a work bench, it was pretty tough. The grease on the plastic bushings had gotten VERY thick and gooey.

Last edited by AZ73; 08/16/13 at 10:11 AM..

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Barn Find 73 going through a nut and bolt Restoration/Upgrade. Follow along at:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217635
AZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 11:14 AM   #8
Hurseyc
Contributor

Waterloo, IL
I've got a friend coming over later to help. Between the two of us we'll see if we can pull it out towards the driver's side.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 08/16/13, 11:15 AM   #9
01Dudley
Sponsor/Vendor

JAMES DUFF EMP

Knoxville
Hey guys before you switch to the power brake arm with the larger pad I wanted to let you know that Duff's offers a billet conversion pad that goes on the small non power brake arm, but gives it the look of the larger power brake pad. Simple bolt on.
01Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 03:03 PM   #10
00gyrhed
Contributor
Bronco Guru

whoooooooooooooop!!!!

Sunnyvale, TX

My Gallery
I just cut my pedal off with a sawzall.

Got tired of looking up there through all the wire and stuff and wasnt about to pull the whole thing down.

71, 393 roller cam EFI, 700R4, D44, F9, ARB front and rear, on board air, Twin Stick, Cruise Control, P255/85/16 BFG M/T, Custom Plate Bumpers, spare tire carrier, custom floor, 2 inch susp, 2 inch body lift, Blah, Blah, Blah.
00gyrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 03:04 PM   #11
00gyrhed
Contributor
Bronco Guru

whoooooooooooooop!!!!

Sunnyvale, TX

My Gallery
pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpblewis@yaho View Post
Sorry, I removed mine but can't remember if it was hard or not. This is something you might consider doing along with removing the clutch. When I did mine I also moved the break over to the clutch spot along with the offset booster mounting bracket on the other side of the firewall. This spaced the break and gas pedals apart and made room for a wide break pedal. It also moved the break booster and master cylinder over the wheel well and really opened up that side of the motor that was already crowded with steering, break lines, power steering, etc. Everything looks and works well so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Nice idea.

71, 393 roller cam EFI, 700R4, D44, F9, ARB front and rear, on board air, Twin Stick, Cruise Control, P255/85/16 BFG M/T, Custom Plate Bumpers, spare tire carrier, custom floor, 2 inch susp, 2 inch body lift, Blah, Blah, Blah.
00gyrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 04:07 PM   #12
DonH

This is gona take away some Quad rides.

SummerWA Winter AZ
eBay: Rocpup
Garage
It looked like to be a big job removing the pedal from my EB. A cut off wheel shortened the pedal and the job just fine.

Bought New 1968 Bronco, 1973 Ranger 4x4, 1984 Bronco II, 1989 Bronco II, 1966/68 Bronco 289 re-born 9-13, C4, D44, 3.50s, P Brakes, Nissan P steering, 2" body lift, New wires, Auto-Meter Dash, Bumpers, patched rust, 351W in waiting.
DonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/13, 07:47 PM   #13
Desert Dweller

Central WA
I'm in the middle of moving mine over, too. (today) It was hard to get out the first time. I heartily recommend pulling the fresh air box first. (I did after I fought the shaft out.. ) It comes out to the driver's side, BTW.

'66 tub on '72 frame-351W, Tweaked C4
"If it ain't broke, Don't Fix It!"
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/13, 09:42 AM   #14
djhudson05

What If The Hokey Pokey Is What It's Really All About

Perryville, MO
Chris,
If you still need help, let me know, I can see about getting up there to help out.
djhudson05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/13, 08:43 PM   #15
TwoDalesDad
Bronco Guru

When I dropped mine out...I had so many Fru$in bolts holding that piece to the firewall....In a rollover that one corner would not bend...thats for sure
TwoDalesDad is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech