• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Strange looking D20 gears

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm putting together a D20 and was supplied these sliding gears. They are the same size of T style gears and have the T style Dana numbers. They also have some features I've only seen on the late '76-'77 J style gears. The machine work lots much finer on these than any Dana gear. Anyone ever seen these before? I'm thinking they might be O'Brian gears.

Last 2 pics are Dana gears.

Attachments

• Bronco 011.jpg
    Bronco 011.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Bronco 012.jpg
    Bronco 012.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Bronco 022.jpg
    Bronco 022.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Bronco 023.jpg
    Bronco 023.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 103

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just signing on to see what you come up with.
Wouldn't Jack's gears have been a different ratio, and there fore a different tooth count than the ones you pictured? Or was the change in other gears to get the lower ratios?
And while they do look nice, weren't they some more exotic materials as well? Different material, or different heat-treating for strength perhaps.

But would any of that have made them look noticeably different anyway?

Paul

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I know Jack has made several different ratios. He could have made some stock ratios. But even the stock J and T sliding gears have the same tooth count. The cluster gear has a different count and the sliding gears are slightly different diameters.

The material does look different but I can't tell what it is. There are almost no marks on them where they would have been machined. Very smooth and fine grain looking.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Jacks gears are purchased like this.
1. Buy only the unique gears to the reduction. $1700 (2 gears I think)
2. Buy all 5 gears including the sliding gears and the ones that reduce the ratio. $1900 ish dollars. .
3. Buy gears, output shaft and his install stuff. $2400
I could buy a atlas;)
I called and spoke with jack and he said with all his gears and output shaft the dana 20 would be stronger than a atlas 2.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Phil he did tell me one thing he did different is the machines them again after thru hardening to take the warp out of the gear which dana and atlas dont do

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it is. There are almost no marks on them where they would have been machined. Very smooth and fine grain looking.

A sintering process maybe? I've noticed in recent years that a lot of the large locking nuts and similar parts that we buy from SKF have taken on a smooth and polished appearance very similar to those gears. No longer any evidence of machining from stock or a traditional forging as before. We assumed they are using a different very sophisticated forging process that might include some type of sintering as well.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I do see the DANA diamond stamp on the one gear. I wonder if they could be Omix-ada stuff. They are really cranking out the jeep stuff lately and Jeep ran the D18 and D20 for a long time.

I rebuilt a 4 speed last spring and one of the replacement gears was an omix gear as Jeeps ran the Ford/Tremec 4 speed. It was surprisingly a very finely machined gear. Slightly better than the stock Tremec gear that came out.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Well since I got these ive compared them to tera low, advanced adapter, novak, and omix. None of them look similar. The only one I cannot find a pic of anywhere and obviously Phil cannot either is jack Obrien gears. I dont know either Phil but they are pretty....

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I do see the DANA diamond stamp on the one gear. I wonder if they could be Omix-ada stuff. They are really cranking out the jeep stuff lately and Jeep ran the D18 and D20 for a long time.

I rebuilt a 4 speed last spring and one of the replacement gears was an omix gear as Jeeps ran the Ford/Tremec 4 speed. It was surprisingly a very finely machined gear. Slightly better than the stock Tremec gear that came out.

The Dana stamp is on the stock Dana gear.

Jeep D20s have one very important difference. The front sliding gear has a reduced size collar for the smaller shift fork that they use. These sliding gears don't have that. This was one of the first things I looked for. Here's a pic of some Jeep TeraLows and Bronco forks to show the difference.

Attachments

• Bronco 019.jpg
    Bronco 019.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 61

treihesse

Bronco Guru
They have to be jp rock eater gears. There is only three people I know of who made a bronco dana 20 gear. Tera low, Jack Obrien and dana spicer...

treihesse

Bronco Guru
gears

Does Jack Obrien still do gears?

Spoke with him this month. Quoted me around 2400 to 2700 for a complete dana 20 tc. Hes a little long winded. I will buy a Atlas before I spend 2700 on a d20.. luckily I live a few blocks from the best dana 20 mechanic so we will see how long it lasts with 40s and lots of horsepower

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
luckily I live a few blocks from the best dana 20 mechanic so we will see how long it lasts with 40s and lots of horsepower

Send that guy over my way. I could learn a thing or two.

I should be done with your D20 tomorrow.

bronco italiano

Bronco Guru
-O'Brien's gears are all made by LFW mfg in Stockton. That guy is one of the best gear Mfg's in the world.

-His stuff is perfect and you get what you pay for.

-The gears are far better in quality/craftsmanship than what atlas can offer.

BI

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Photos are most likely 8620 forgings media blasted after carburizing.

Or sintered..like so many are these days.

Attachments

• Powder_Metallurgy_Sintered_Gears.jpg
    Powder_Metallurgy_Sintered_Gears.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 22