Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 08/12/02, 10:54 PM   #1
mike

Broncos Rule!

Dorris, CA
302 valve adjustment???

i just recentlt installed a new cam and lifters, now do i have to adjust the valves or not. i couldnt find any thing in my motors manual. (its a 302) any help would be great. thanks
Old 08/13/02, 07:52 AM   #2
BOSS3024ME

Under control ?? You're not going fast enough !!

Washington State Vancouver and Oysterville
Re:302 valve adjustment???

If they are hydraulic there should be no adjustment to speak of. If they are solid there will be a feeler gauge adjustment which should be specked out in the cam kit.<br><br>Paul

1967 Bronco
The infamous Rhino liners Bronco
Old 08/13/02, 08:38 AM   #3
74bronc
Bronco Guru

Right wing nutjob!

socal
eBay: byubronco

My Gallery

Almost positive it is a hydraulic. It also depends on the year, but I am pretty sure that all you have to do is bolt the rockers down and go. Not like a SBC where you have to dick around with the valve adjustment!!!!

Old 08/13/02, 03:51 PM   #4
71moore

God Rules

CHA TN

You adjust by bumping engine, untill one rocker is up and one is dn and is just starting to go back up.<br>tighten nut while turning pushrod untill you can't<br>move pushrod anymore,then tighten one and three quarters turn/bump engine and do the one next to it<br>just do them in pairs no certain order. (turn pushrod with fingers) 8)<br>
Old 09/14/03, 10:21 AM   #5

It is messy but it works,after you get every one &quot;snuged&quot; but not over tightened, have somebody start it whih a valve cover off looosed the adj nut till you hear it start to click, then tighten it till it does not click any more and 1/4 turn no more, then move to the next one and on and on, you can use tin foil if you get a lot of oil spay. it is messy.

Old 09/14/03, 11:39 AM   #6
broncnaz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Thatcher, AZ

Need info what type type of heads do you have? does it have screw in studs ? do the rocker nuts look like they are self locking? most stock 302's do not have adjustable valves so if you just rebuilt by the manual it should be good to go if you are getting valve noises then you may need to check with the cam manufacturer to see if they have a shim kit or a kit to convert it to adjustable style

73 Ranger 2 1/2 lift 302 TFS heads NP435,PS,PDB, tierod over, 33x10.50x15 BFG M/T
71 Sport 63,000 miles all orginal except for cut fenders 302 3sp 4.11's D44/BBTrac lok rear
Old 09/14/03, 11:40 AM   #7
dji

It's Bronco!!Not a Jeep*@#

London,Ontario

Get an old valve cover and cut out the top. That's what I did. Take the original off and use the cut out one to adjust your valve train. With it running back the rockers off just until they click. Then turn them in 3/4 of a turn. Replace the valve cover and go to the other side. Works great!

Pure '69 and luvin' it!

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives