Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 08/22/02, 06:26 PM   #1
bronco std

blub blub blub blub

Berryville, Virginia
AT Transmission fluid leaking from bellhousing?

I need some suggestions on what may be wrong before I pull my C4 out of my Bronco. The other day I started it up and I got out to check some things, I noticed underneath that Transmission fluid was pouring out of the front of the bellhousing like you pour milk on ceral.. No drips here, almost a gusher. Anyway I cleaned it up and then started it again a day or so later, same thing, but not as bad? I let it run for about 7 minutes and collected about 2oz of fluid, The first time I noticed would of been close to 12oz of fluid that approx. leaked out. It is flows out at the very front of the bellhousing where the bottom obvioulsy does not bolt to the engine. It seems to collect inside and then pour out the front from what I can tell. <br><br>Any suggestions on what may be wrong other than it is leaking transmission fluid. I'll figure it out when I pull the tranny, but curious to know what some of the forum's thoughts are?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Bronco STD

1970 Hurst 3 on the floor soon to be NP435. D44 front 2.5" Duff stage 2 long travel suspension 2" WH body lift, Centech Wire harness, MSD Dissy, MSD 6A, MSD Coil. Twin Sticks and a 74 Torino 302
Old 08/22/02, 07:15 PM   #2
joes75
Bronco Guru

Pittsburgh
Re:AT Transmission fluid leaking from bellhousing?

may be leaking form the seal around the front pump, or the input shaft seal. or torque converter.. I dont know though, I'm not automatic expert
Old 08/22/02, 07:22 PM   #3
wildbill
Contributor
Old Bronco Guy

Broncos Rule! WildBill's 66

Topeka Kansas USA

: : : I would think you have a bad front seal. Bill 8) : :P
Old 08/22/02, 08:51 PM   #4
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA

You probably have a bad seal and if you pull the tranny out check the slop in the converter bushing. if the bushing is worn replacing the seal will end up being a short lived repair. maybe a year or so and it will leak again. its an alignment thing.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Old 08/23/02, 05:18 AM   #5
bronco std

blub blub blub blub

Berryville, Virginia

Thanks for giving me some ideas of what it could be. I'll check those things first.

1970 Hurst 3 on the floor soon to be NP435. D44 front 2.5" Duff stage 2 long travel suspension 2" WH body lift, Centech Wire harness, MSD Dissy, MSD 6A, MSD Coil. Twin Sticks and a 74 Torino 302
Old 08/23/02, 08:46 AM   #6
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ

Could be a cracked convertor. Had that happen once on a motorhome. Drove it back with one person pouring fluid in as fast as he could squeeze the bottles and another driving. Leaked real bad at idle and in town, at one time we couldn't squeeze fluid in fast enough. But, on the highway it would use less then a quart in 50 miles.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Old 08/23/02, 11:00 AM   #7
KST1

IL

Just had the same problem with my C-4 a couple of weeks ago. All of the suggestions above are right on (you can't beat this site for good info!)<br><br>Mine turned out to be a bad torque convertor shaft, the part that goes through the front seal into the tranny had rough rings worn into it and ruined the seal. I bought a new torque convertor (AAMCO special order $98.00), had a new front seal (@ $6.00), new pump seal (@$6.00), and new pan gasket (@$5.00) installed and it solved the problem. With labor I was out the door for $208.00. I did the tranny removal and install myself.<br><br>The builder at the shop mentioned that a cracked torque convertor is a very common problem with similar symptoms. Apparently they crack where the torque convertor body is welded to the shaft. They do a air pressure test to confirm the crack. <br><br>You might as well pull it now and get it looked at. Mine had a two week period between the first oil dump and final total failure when it didn't leak at all. <br><br>-D<br>

1977 Bronco,5.8L EFI,C4,Kentrol Body,35&quot;x13.50 Baja Claws,23gal Tank,6pt Cage,etc.
If the Devil danced in empty pockets, He'd have a ball in mine.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives